Mild rant... a better way?

Prairie Reef

As I'm putting together my tank, I'm struck by how "backwards" trying to buy fish and coral are in the information age. It is clear that the industry is focused on "pretty" fish rather than what is responsible to put in a tank.

How would fish buying change if rather than lots of pictures of "saltwater" fish you put in your tank parameters (size, reef, FOWLR, sump, skimmer, peaceful/aggressive, etc) and a three choice novice, experienced, advanced and it presented the fish that fit those categories? All that info is already on the web pages, but you have to flip back and forth and look through them all to find what "fits."

:angryfire: This is a clear example of how the way the buying process is set up facilitates irresponsible purchases.

Rant over - sorry - sometimes I wish I was a programmer... Thanks for the guidance of forums like Reef Central!!

OMG - that would have saved me soooooo much time and fretting - HA - I knew there had to be something like that out there. I was just thinking to myself about how much easier it was to buy my car than find fish!! Thanks - I'll be using that!

First you select the type of fish, clowns etc. etc. then on the right hand side you can narrow the search by a few choices. Agressiveness, minimum tank size, reef compatability and dificulty are a few.

I just noticed that our tanks are very similar. I started mine from scratch in Jan, and I am loving it! Good luck with yours.:bounce2:

Thanks all! I appreciate the suggestion of Live Aquaria. They do seem to make the best effort at giving good information!

You would still get those that believe that their skills are higher then they are and purchase the more difficult species. Or they would think simply because they spent all this money their system would support them even though their tank is weeks past cycling.
I do like the idea though. For those that would follow the recommendations, their reefkeeping would be more successful and enjoyable.

BigKodiak - you're absolutely right. But I think the more people hang out on forums like these they more they realize their responsibility to provide healthy environments for their animals. Socially constructed norms are very powerful - and can exert strong influences on economy when they become widely accepted.

IMO those that profit from the hobby have an obligation too. Part of that obligation should be 1) appropriate care of the animal/environment during acquisition and transportation - this includes clear labeling of what has been wild harvested and what has been aquacultured 2) accurate information regarding the needs of the animal and 3) making the buying process focus on what is good for the animal. The buying process focuses on more than just information, that information should be integrated into the buying process. It starts with what kind of environment you will be keeping this animal.

IME what I see most places now (including Live Aquaria) is a pretty upfront picture of low priced animals that will eventually outgrow all but the largest of tanks. I think it would be better to draw purchasers in with pictures of mature tanks with mature animals in them to give a realistic idea of what they are getting into or can accomplish.

I'll probably be buying from Live Aquaria because they are making the effort - unless there are other suggestions out there! Just some thoughts from someone looking at the hobby with some "fresh" eyes.:spin2:

Some people are going to do what they want regardless of those ideas you have mentioned. All you have to do is go on youtube and see what I am talking about or read the discussions here on RC.

There will be a poster that asks a question such as what tang can I keep in my 29?

50 people will take time out of their day and explain why that should not happen.
1 person will take time out of their day and say I have a hippo tang in my 29 and it is doing great. I plan on upgrading to a 500 gallon tank by September even though I am a junior in college with no money.

The OP will go with what the 1 said instead of the 50 even though those 50 probably have a few hundred years of experience vs. the guy with 6 months.

You are right education is the key and sometimes it gets through and it works but others not so much.

I am just curious but how would you regulate purchases especially online?

Also it should be the consumer who is responsible to do the research vs. the company making sure the consumer has done just that.

I understand where you are coming from but you have to remember for the "company" it is still about the bottom line.

Why do you think corals that are worth a few dollars at best go for hundreds?

Some people are going to do what they want regardless of those ideas you have mentioned... The OP will go with what the 1 said instead of the 50 even though those 50 probably have a few hundred years of experience vs. the guy with 6 months.
I am just curious but how would you regulate purchases especially online? ...I understand where you are coming from but you have to remember for the "company" it is still about the bottom line.

KafudaFish ~ Exactly. I agree on both accounts.

In the back country when it comes to risk assessment we call that confirmation bias. We all pay attention to what we want to hear. People make really bad decisions in the back country because they base it off of one piece of evidence rather than the multitude that screams "this is dangerous!" Often it is attributed to someone who says "I've done that before..." and thinks it is because of their skill rather than just being lucky. And that is when it is their own life on the line, not an animals!

I don't think the industry should be "regulated." Regulations are often too simplistic and rigid to deal with such dynamic forces as economy. What I do think is that forums like this can set *social* not governmental norms that reward making ethical choices for the sustainability of the hobby. These (and there are many) forums can be a powerful economic force by helping people vote with their dollars for more/better info and purchase process. It can become a status symbol to shop ethically.

For example, shopping at commercial places like Live Aquaria who are coming closer to the ideal (only as an example) or from friends in the hobby who do good work, uses economic pressures to change an economic problem - not regulation :fun4: .

Back