Minh's attemps at H. malu sexual reproduction

One of my Malu is about 4 inches in diameter fully expanded. I feed him 1 piece of pencil eraser size food. Once every 2 days.

Cool so why does feeding promote spawning could enough light be provided that the zoo over produce even more nutrients for the anemone feeding it more then usual like maybe when it's about summer time where the anemones are found and increase the the amount light and could this maybe trigger a response to spawn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know what trigger, if any, Malu have to induce spawn. I just want them to have plenty of nutrition so that lack of nutrition is not a factor. Then I can work and observe and see if i can find some trigger.

That would be really cool if you can find the trigger! I really hope you do :) best of luck. Let us know if anything exciting happens!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a cool thread.

I have always liked mags, so I have been looking into trying to keep a few in my tank, and maybe trying to get them to reproduce. I have a couple thoughts (I am aware H. malu are not mags, but same genus, so maybe some similarities):

The first thought was when I initially put my mag in the tank it looked like it released sperm for a little while. So possibly stress induced, or touching the air, or just long exposure to dark, like that of a storm.

The other thought I had was after reading an article about H. magnifica:
http://animaldiversity.org/accounts/Heteractis_magnifica/

I thought it was interesting that the closer towards the surface the anemones are, the more likely they are to be found singly. While colonies are likely to be found at great depths. Colonies to me implies more likely to reproduce sexually simply due to availability of partners. To me greater depths also imply less light by both moon and sun, possibly less likely for the moon and starlight to affect reproduction. The article goes on to say, “Leeward of prevailing swell of water tend to be denser populations than more exposed marine locations.” Which implies to me a protected environment lets them stay together without being thrown apart. Then one of the big factors to induce change might be something like a big storms (extra darkness with very oxygenated water/temp changes/short-term salinity reduction in waves).

Who knows, there is a lot of guessing in here, but I figured I would throw out a few ideas that might simulate a natural environment.

Back