What return pumps to use? Opinions requested.

I have a Water Blaster 10000W (rated at 2700 gph) and it was a little bit too much. Usable, but I like to quieter flow. I know that if I change the Plumping I can quite the flow but for now I like to try slow it down.

I think I will bite the bullet and redo my plumbing to a modified 2 channels BeanAnimal overflow to keep it quite.

I kinda hate putting choke valves on pumps. Rather have a pump that can be adjust down as need, that use less energy and less work for the pump. DC pumps have this advantage. Reliability is the key lack for DC pumps at least at this time, perceive or real.

Where is the tank located & where is the sump?
Not really relevant question.
Tank is in my fish room with the sump right under the tank, to the side. about 4-5 foot head. Flow is not the problem. I like to decrease flow, but adjustable to decrease noise. I think I will do a modified BeanAnimal or Herpie overflow to decrease noise. I have a lot of in-tank flow so the amount that flow through the sump does not need to be high. Don't use return pump as a significant water movement device.

I use the stock no-name one that came with my Cadlights tank. No idea what brand it is. I do know that it's going on 3 years with zero problems. I bought a spare one from Cadlights - I may never have to use it.

I don't get the fancy return pump. Honestly, if it's not super loud, who cares? It just does one thing!

Not to thread jack, but can someone explain why one would want to repeatedly adjust the return pump? I don't understand how that's useful.

It's not that you can constantly change it, it's that you can set it to exactly what you want for regular and feed modes. You can use a valve on an AC pump to try to control flow but it will never be as precise and will be more prone to clogging and what not.

I've been running a Jebao dct15000 for about 1 1/2 years now. I have a basement sump and about 9' of vertical head height. Overall I'm happy with it, although I did have a power supply die on me but that's the only problem I've had. I keep a spare pump on hand so I can swap them when I need to do maintenance or just in case one dies.

I read a little more about Jebao pumps. Maybe I am too quick on the decision. I think I am going to really clean my Water blaster and wait for another year or two. I wait until EcoTech solve their problem or really good evidence that Jebao DCP pumps are trouble free.

I have used a Jebao return pump going on 2 years with literally zero trouble. The one I have is the series right before DCP. I believe it is DCT, and it is the 7000 model. Have taken it down to clean once and that was trouble free. I have not cleaned it in probably a year and have not noticed any decreased water movement. So far have been very happy with it. I am meaning to clean it out soon.

I really like the ability to control water flow/rate through the pump. My return plumbing is all PVC with loc lines. I do not have a hole punched in the return to break siphon. On my previous plumbing setup I did have a hole and hated the little splash that came out of it. Now when I am making modifications to my sump I just turn the flow all the way down and can easily clean out filter socks, clean out ATS, and do a full cleaning of the entire sump. When I am spot feeding my corals I do not like to kill all the flow from DT to sump. I disconnect my powerheads and have my return pump at the lowest setting. If for any reason I forget to turn the powerheads back on then there should be no catastrophic harm. If pump ever stops I still have enough room in my sump to not overflow. Besides that I just keep my pump at the maximum setting.

I have two Water Blaster 10000 already. One run for 4 years with out maintenance, now have a little difficult to start. I exchange it for the new one I got 4 years ago. I always have one extra return pump of the same model, or at least the same fitting so that if problem I can switch. This is just the way I am.
I was going to change to DC controllable pumps but I think I have second though about it at this time. I finished clean up my old pump and it start every time now so I think I will just keep the pumps the same. Will change the plumbing this weekend to see if I can quite the flow down some.

It's not that you can constantly change it, it's that you can set it to exactly what you want for regular and feed modes. You can use a valve on an AC pump to try to control flow but it will never be as precise and will be more prone to clogging and what not.

A DC pump has never been as precise for me as a gate valve. You are still limited to various set points for the pump on the controller which are unlikely to be an exact match for a tanks plumbing. Yes vectra is slightly different in this regard as you can set power and calibrate as opposed to preset positions like on the Jabeo but still...

Sure a valve can't do anything about a feed mode but if using a controller you could kill the pump that way to get same effect and in doing so also kill powerheads in system if not same brand.

Back