Moby Duck

I can show you pics of our rubber duck race that has almost 50,000 ducks together to give you an idea of the size on Monday.

I'm just back from Solomon Islands, South Pacific. I found a duck while there and was wondering if it was part of that spill -- I suspect it might have been.

Some:

duckrace022.jpg

It's scary what us humans are doing to this planet, there is no easy answer for us, that's for sure.

OMG!! That is alot of ducks. That is alot of plastic left in the ocean. I sure it is for a good cause but not good for the ocean.

Just someting to get us thinking about what's happening to our oceans......

Moby Duck

I have seen a plastic duck race used to raise money for cancer research (unbeleivable) It is amazing how many people (even those who have good intentions @ heart) just don't get it. What's next, a pie eating contest to raise money to combat obesity?:wildone:

Mabey i dont get it but if theres a race to raise bennifets for canser research. Dont you think they would have some one to clean up thes ducks ?? Im pretty shure none of the 50,00 ducks were just left floating alone.....

And how much dammage would that amount of ducks do ?? does plastic really leach anything ?? We have tanks made of it. The ducks most likely are just flaoting around waiting to be found. Not a huge deal. I think oil spills/tanker are a little more like somthing to complain about.

Yes Its not the best to have that many duck floating around. But i doubt anything will happen to our oceans from it. If anything some might come part of the reef....

Mabey i dont get it but if theres a race to raise bennifets for canser research. Dont you think they would have some one to clean up thes ducks ?? Im pretty shure none of the 50,00 ducks were just left floating alone.....

And how much dammage would that amount of ducks do ?? does plastic really leach anything ?? We have tanks made of it. The ducks most likely are just flaoting around waiting to be found. Not a huge deal. I think oil spills/tanker are a little more like somthing to complain about.

Yes Its not the best to have that many duck floating around. But i doubt anything will happen to our oceans from it. If anything some might come part of the reef....

Actually the "plastic ducks" do leach toxins into the sea & marine creatures consume plastic by mistaking it for food thus causing many creatures to die with stomachs full of plastic of all sorts. But wasting resources to even make these ducks in the first place is ridiculously counterproductive in ANY fund raising project:confused: I have a glass tank, but my refugium is acrylic so I believe it isn't as porous as the PVC pipes that I use in my reef tank plumbing. I wish I could use more glass than plastic in this industry, but it is very difficult when everything wet in your tank had to b transported in plastic:sad2: Maybe I can talk my LFS owner into letting me bring in a glass jar to transport my pets home without another plastic bag being used?

Are you serious ??? Thats cool if you wnat to do it. Im not.

And i belive to raise thousands of $$$ for reserch. A few rubber ducks bought and used for a couple of years should be fine. THere is no problem with that.

And the plastic leaching chemicals into the ocean. Should take a long time to do that. ( decades) And whos to say that the microbes in the ocean cant eat them ? Who knows what there made of Mabey there like my Biopellets ?

Im not picking a fight but just here saying the ocean is huge. And i dont see how 28,000 ducks could possibly cause a problem. Unless there were all consentrated in one small area and never left. Remember the earth is huge.
There are way more devestaing things happening than Rubberducks. :wildone:

I think the story is cool and would like to read the book though.

1. Those ducks that I showed are from the Greater Knoxville Duck Race that benefits the Boys and Girls Club of the area.
2. That one event raises around $250,000 and helps somewhere between 1000 - 1500 children many who shall we say don't have the best home life. It is a real eye opening experience to go to a club that has a metal door and you have to be buzzed in so to keep the drug dealers etc. away from the kids. You should try it sometime while discussing water quality issues in their neighborhood.
3. The ducks are recycled (reused) time and time again and are picked up at the end of the race each time therefore they are not left in the water long enough to leech.
4. Wouldn't it be ironic if the money raised from a duck race was used to find the cure for cancer? Though if that was found out I am sure some would refuse treatment no matter if the researchers had one's good health at heart.

1. Those ducks that I showed are from the Greater Knoxville Duck Race that benefits the Boys and Girls Club of the area.
2. That one event raises around $250,000 and helps somewhere between 1000 - 1500 children many who shall we say don't have the best home life. It is a real eye opening experience to go to a club that has a metal door and you have to be buzzed in so to keep the drug dealers etc. away from the kids. You should try it sometime while discussing water quality issues in their neighborhood.
3. The ducks are recycled (reused) time and time again and are picked up at the end of the race each time therefore they are not left in the water long enough to leech.
4. Wouldn't it be ironic if the money raised from a duck race was used to find the cure for cancer? Though if that was found out I am sure some would refuse treatment no matter if the researchers had one's good health at heart.

I think it is great that money is raised & the ducks you are speaking of are recycled :spin1:, but I'm pretty sure a fundraiser would work without the ducks (there is plenty of other marketing ideas out there) and I wish cancer could be just "cured" , but I'm not sure if scientist or doctors can cure something without removing the causes of it? Sure it would be great if humans could ingest anything in their bodies and then take a magic pill at the end of the day to make it all better (& then pass this magic pill onto the fish, reefs & other creatures of this planet), but much like the weight loss industry there is no replacing preventative measures and good ole fashion hard work.

Are you serious ??? Thats cool if you wnat to do it. Im not.

And i belive to raise thousands of $$$ for reserch. A few rubber ducks bought and used for a couple of years should be fine. THere is no problem with that.

And the plastic leaching chemicals into the ocean. Should take a long time to do that. ( decades) And whos to say that the microbes in the ocean cant eat them ? Who knows what there made of Mabey there like my Biopellets ?

Im not picking a fight but just here saying the ocean is huge. And i dont see how 28,000 ducks could possibly cause a problem. Unless there were all consentrated in one small area and never left. Remember the earth is huge.
There are way more devestaing things happening than Rubberducks. :wildone:

I think the story is cool and would like to read the book though.

Most people don't think a single plastic bottle can do much damage until you times that bottle by 7 Billion people and then multiply that number by 365 days.:(

I hate it when people throw stuff on the ground and not recycling. I keep thinking about how a sea turtle can die by eating a plastic bag or something thinking it was a jellyfish. Please recycle as much as you can!!!

That sounds like a ton of fun, about how far do they race them? Great to see people coming together for a good cause :)

I'm sure those ducks you guys race leach toxic materials really quickly into water though, just like they do in the bathtubs of the toddlers they were designed for. Everyone knows your kid gets sick by playing with a rubber duckies, you guys should use something else since they're made from spent nuclear fuel rods just like plastic bottles. Either that or crazy people use any excuse to get up on their soapbox and continue hijacking a forum to spout inane hyperbole to no end...

Back