Montipora (only) bleaching/STN

Parameters. I used to never be able to keep montipora until recently. Mine looked like yours and they never recovered.

I had a lot of green monti, 5" x 4", growing on a large rock that died off to about 1/2 of what it was. I finally started to target it with docs eco egg blend (small particles) once or twice a week and its all grown back and expanded to nearly twice what it was. Before it started dying off, I had upgraded to a bigger tank and I think it wasnt getting enough nutrients from leftover fish food. Either that or it was a fluke. I'm feeding my superman monti the same way and its expanded over 3 times the original frag plug size in 4 months.

Have you notice any improvement? If your still having the issues i would recommend doing 3 10% water changes over a week

Monti digiporas are very sensitive to low alk. Which is reasonable given their extreme growth rates.

Next, I've found orange, flame, and sunset varities to be FAR more difficult to keep than any acropora. Green and purple digis on the other hand are some of the toughest SPS you can own, and purples have survived tank crashes than have killed shrooms. They like stable if not elevated alk, and some nutrients in the water.

Digis are also very sensitive to biological warfare. Shallow water green palys for example can kill entire colonies of digipora over night.

I'm surprised by all the people saying montis are easier to kill than acros - mine (orange digi, reverse superman, blue something, sunset, and a couple others) have been solid as a rock, I can't recall a time when they haven't had PE, I've never killed one, and they grow pretty fast.

My alk is around 10, which may be related to my success with them, if blasterman's post above is correct.

Montipora (only) bleaching/STN

Yuuuup, you guys are right. Most stuff is following. Some acros STN/RTN over the last week. At this point I'm attributing it to overdose of GFO and carbon just prior to being in the hospital for a 3 week early baby. Wasn't around to monitor what I'm assuming was a huge phos drop from 0.04 to nothing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Been there done that. All you can do now is just keep the tank stable and ride out the storm. Avoid the urge to mess with stuff. Weekly water changes may be a good idea but don't go overboard with those either. Try to keep alk as stable as you can. It can take a lot longer than you think for things to turn around but they can if you let them. Worse thing you can do now is change this and that. It usually gets worse before it gets better. Ask me how I know.....;)

I actually found a very slow leak a week ago which led to a salinity drop to 1.022 right around the time this stuff started, so I think it was the perfect storm of change in salinity, too much GFO, etc. I wonder if Dinos are even causing any problems on the coral? It's here and there on the tips, but I haven't lost a single snail!

As far as alk stability:
hC8MJ1hh.png

The bump up in October correlates with (I think) an increase in top off (which has kalk in it) due to the slow leak. Wish I had a salinity probe!

I actually found a very slow leak a week ago which led to a salinity drop to 1.022 right around the time this stuff started, so I think it was the perfect storm of change in salinity, too much GFO, etc. I wonder if Dinos are even causing any problems on the coral? It's here and there on the tips, but I haven't lost a single snail!

As far as alk stability:
hC8MJ1hh.png

The bump up in October correlates with (I think) an increase in top off (which has kalk in it) due to the slow leak. Wish I had a salinity probe!

Stability for 2 weeks is not enough unfortunately, but its a start. Keep it like that for 2 months and things should start to turn around. But it may take that long before you see any improvement. Just trust what you are doing is right and have faith in the process. Easier said than done....

Stability for 2 weeks is not enough unfortunately, but its a start. Keep it like that for 2 months and things should start to turn around. But it may take that long before you see any improvement. Just trust what you are doing is right and have faith in the process. Easier said than done....

Understood! Here's my data since I got the apex:

fkBWLmDh.png

Back