Moorish Idol

Make sure to give it plenty of seaweed. I also suggest spirulina flakes. Keep in mind that MIs are related to tangs.

Give it meaty foods as well, like chopped shrimp and scallop, plus the medium sized NLS pellets. These fish will eat most foods put in the aquarium.

like buy it frozen or is it better to go to the market and buy it. then make it. but i dont have much experience in making my own fish food. do you need to add chemicals to that?

i woke up this morning to go feed my corals and he came up to the glass. i think hes starting to get used to me. im just gonna assume that hes male lol

like buy it frozen or is it better to go to the market and buy it. then make it. but i dont have much experience in making my own fish food. do you need to add chemicals to that?

Buy the seafood at the grocery store, chop it up with a knife, and feed a couple of pieces. Freeze the rest in a ziploc bag and slice off small pieces for feeding.

Don't add any chemicals.

I chop up scallop and shrimp, plus salmon and fresh clam, and feed some to my tank every morning with nori or spirulina flakes. In the evening, the tank gets NLS pellets plus mysis or ON gel food.

Seaweed, sponges and pellets!!!! Crucial to keep their diet varied and them stress free.

Other than that if he's eating, goodluck to you and enjoy your beautiful fish!

I went to my fish store well not mine but a fish store and asked if they had NLS pellets. They looked at me like I had 3 heads...

Can someone post a picture of it for me. Please :)

Just saw in your other thread you have this idol in a 55 gallon tank along with a maroon clown, sailfin tang, purple dottyback and damsel. In my opinion with that number of aggressive fish in that size tank the idol is a "dead fish swimming".

ive had the other fish for awhile and they keep to themselves. i will say they were curious when i added the idol but they all dont bother eachtother now..

like ive said on other posts you are going to have a really hard time getting him to eat due to the tank being SOOO overstocked. The fish you have chosen will defintly compete for food no matter how much you feed due them not having their "own" space which any tangs like that are going to require even as little guys. So my prev suggestion stands. Take all of those tangs back see if you can get something worked out because that tank is to small for all 3 of those fish. Dont stock you tank for a tank you might get in the future, stock your tank with the tank you have now!!!!

but he eats and he eats a lot. not to sound rude or anything but do you have a 55 gallon with a moorish in it? no you probably dont. do you know that i have a bigger tank for them? no you dont. i know what im doing. im not new to this.all i asked what what they ate. obv i can read and know about tank size.

again i appreciate your concern for my fish but you dont know all the details.

thanks...

but he eats and he eats a lot. not to sound rude or anything but do you have a 55 gallon with a moorish in it? no you probably dont. do you know that i have a bigger tank for them? no you dont. i know what im doing. im not new to this.all i asked what what they ate. obv i can read and know about tank size.

again i appreciate your concern for my fish but you dont know all the details.

thanks...

since you have a bigger set-up for them why not use it? gorgeous fish.... hope it all works out.

Just saw in your other thread you have this idol in a 55 gallon tank along with a maroon clown, sailfin tang, purple dottyback and damsel. In my opinion with that number of aggressive fish in that size tank the idol is a "dead fish swimming".

+1

Tank is way too small for those fish. Short term sure, long term...like 5+ years, not likely. And these fish have a long life span. I wish you the best of luck though! Every tank is different.

I'm surprised, after all these years, someone hasn't figured out the puzzle that is the Moorish Idol. Or dare I say, captive breed them in a way that their young could be provided to hobbyists with a better shot at success.

I saw some yesterday in an LFS and just shook my head thinking "They'll all be dead in a month".

I wonder if there are people out there that are passive hobbyists that might have bought one, in a case where no one explained how difficult they were to keep, and kept it for 5, 7 or 10 years...?

but he eats and he eats a lot. not to sound rude or anything but do you have a 55 gallon with a moorish in it? no you probably dont. do you know that i have a bigger tank for them? no you dont. i know what im doing. im not new to this.

Based on the totality of your various threads, I find those two final statements highly doubtful. You come across as extremely young, and while there is nothing inherently wrong in that (I've been in the fish hobby since I was about 7) you should really do much more research and be willing to listen to those more knowledgeable and experienced.

I hope all these fish make it into this larger tank you have for them.

I feel like I keep explaining myself to people here. I do read I have done research. I came on this forum to ask questions about the things I own and the things I would one day like to own. Not be judged for because people don't know my full situation. Age has nothing to do with this and it's kinda pathetic that it's being brought up. Again you don't know my situation, you don't know my knowledge on fish keeping. Sorry I'm not an expert on everything like most people are on here cause they read what LiveAquaria says. You don't know me so what makes you think you can belittle me. Would you listen to someone that posts negative things cause you simply ask what a moorish idol eats? I'm not asking what you think about me putting it in a 55 gallon tank. Cause honestly when it comes to that your opinion means nothing to me cause that's not what I'm asking.

I appriciate the help but if you're just gonna judge me and my fishtank I think it's just better you don't put a comment at all. And I am reading what people say. But when negative nancy comes along I don't have the patience for it.

Back