Moorish Idol

JacoboWM

:fish2:So about 3 days ago i bought a Moorish Idol, risky i know. He eats the Seaweed off the clips and the Mysis Shrimp that i feed to my other fish. Does anyone have any other suggestions or tips to keeping this beautiful fish healthy?

Attachments

• moorish.jpg
    moorish.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1
feed, feed, feed , feed, then prey :)

make sure he is the top dog in the tank.

feed it some pellets like NLS too, we still dont know what we are missing from their diet, so try as much variety as you can, oysters and clams are also good. can get them from asian supermarkets or fish markets.

There is a huge thread about them, on here somewhere, do a search.

All i can say is good luck..
I hear so many failed attempts with this fish than i do success stories..
Get some nems ,,i hear they eat them up..
One of the few stories i heard about someone keeping one for years was a guy constantly getting anemones for it to eat ..Which kind ,,i can't remember for sure

All i can say is good luck..
I hear so many failed attempts with this fish than i do success stories..
Get some nems ,,i hear they eat them up..
One of the few stories i heard about someone keeping one for years was a guy constantly getting anemones for it to eat ..Which kind ,,i can't remember for sure

I think you mean sponges, and not anemones.

they do not eat just any type of sponge though, so the red and blue ones you see at LFS are poisonous to them.

I kept mine over a year and a half.

So far nothing bothers him. My sailfin gets a little jealous I think. He chases him around but doesn't bite at him like he used to my hippo tang RIP. what I love about the moorish is that he stands out so much in the tank and everyone knows what he is. But they refer to him as the scarred fish from finding Nemo lol...

They need sponge in their diet. Buying sponges to feed can get pretty expensive; but if you can find foods like this (and similar) that contain sponge, it will prolong his life. Live blackworms are another favorite food. Also, talk to Paul_B and build a feeding station for your Idol like the one here.

Something i read years ago ,,but i swore the guy was giving his nems ...It was awhile ago and i'm getting old :lol:..I did know they like sponge too ,and thats why this story seemed so odd to me ,,IDK ,i doubt i'll be able to find it ,,it was on a forum that i just can't remember either :hmm4:..

either way ,,good luck with him ,they are beautiful

They need sponge meat in their diet. Buying sponges to feed can get pretty expensive; but if you can find foods like this (and similar) that contain sponge, it will prolong his life. Live blackworms are another favorite food. Also, talk to Paul_B and build a feeding station for your Idol like the one here.

Idols are nothing like butterfly fish.

those fish are hard to get eating. Idols would eat anything and everything ! in some cases even silicon from tank and acrylic ! lol

I'll figure something out. And I know if I have any questions I have you guys to ask :). I'll go get this frozen half clams that they sell. Think that might be good? Till I find sponges...

Ah! Makes sense now. Thank you so much. I need to got and get some different food for him. Tangs I never knew were so nasty lol. Achilles tangs are soo pretty.

Mine is over 4 years old now, and has never had sponge. It mostly eats NLS pellets.

However, in the last few weeks I have noticed it getting thinner and thinner. It still seems to eat, but is losing weight. I think it is due to my French Angel, who is becoming quite the bully. I will probably take the French out of the tank this weekend, and hope my Idol will gain back the weight he has lost.

Back