more than one kind of blenny in same tank?

toaster77

quick question - i've got a bicolor blenny that's been established for 2 yrs in a 90 gallon. Am wondering if it's ok to add a lawnmower blenny - will they get along or is it asking for trouble?

Thanks!

They may get along; they may not.

In our 45cube we had an established Tailspot blenny (E. stigmatura) and added a starry blenny (E. ramosus) with no problems. The starry was a tad larger than the tailspot. The Ecsenius sp. seem to be more tolerant of new additions.
One concern though, our starry became very aggressive to any new additions. He ended up killing a tiger watchman goby and a flameback angelfish we tried adding later, even though he didn't bother a much smaller sixline wrasse and yashia white-ray goby that were already in the tank. Needless to say he was caught and returned to the LFS. He was a great fish, but every species ends up with one that does follow the rules.

Hope that helps.

My limited experience - I kept a small bicolor blenny and a larger sailfin blenny in a pretty small tank for many years. They never bothered each other or any other fish. However, when I do hear of the rare blenny aggression, it often seems to be mostly lawnmower blennies that are implicated.

quick question - i've got a bicolor blenny that's been established for 2 yrs in a 90 gallon. Am wondering if it's ok to add a lawnmower blenny - will they get along or is it asking for trouble?

Thanks!

You're asking for trouble. They are too similar in body shape, behavior, and diet.

Scott Michael says larger lawnmowers will harass other fish and blennies.

And it could be coincidence, but I often see lawnmower blennies at LFS's in tanks by themselves.

I'd like to get one myself, but I also have a bicolor who seems very happy at the moment. I'm pretty sure a lawnmower would cramp his style in my 75 gallon tank.

Were there particular reasons you wanted a lawnmower? Other fish might fit the bill.

This may just be the LFS trying to sell a fish, but, I was told by the LFS that a Midas Blenny and Lawnmower blenny should get along just fine. They inhabit different parts of the tank, and maybe they're different enough. I don't know.

Just a thought.

thanks everyone for the feedback. i've got some hair algae creeping up in some hard to reach places. i wish my tangs and foxface would eat it, but they won't touch it :mad: i was thinking of adding a small juvenile lawnmower, but i wonder if they really eat hair algae anyway. i may resort to a sea hare and pass it along when the job's done.

My bicolor blenny was long established when I added a Midas blenny. The became instant "friends". Sometimes even sharing the same hiding hole.

thanks everyone for the feedback. i've got some hair algae creeping up in some hard to reach places. i wish my tangs and foxface would eat it, but they won't touch it :mad: i was thinking of adding a small juvenile lawnmower, but i wonder if they really eat hair algae anyway. i may resort to a sea hare and pass it along when the job's done.

Do you have a protein skimmer?

What are you feeding, and how much?

Do you have good flow in your tank? Powerheads?

Do you have any snails?

In a 90 gallon tank, it may be worth a try, since they can establish territories pretty far apart. But I'd look into other algae eating blennies that might do as good a job.

thanks all - wow, seems like it's really hit or miss, just like most compatibility q's

I think you should tackle the source of the algae problem first.

If you add a lawnmower one day, make sure you have a fallback plan like a second tank, or an LFS that will take him back.

Because if you're like me, your bicolor is one of your favorite fish!

I think you should tackle the source of the algae problem first.

If you add a lawnmower one day, make sure you have a fallback plan like a second tank, or an LFS that will take him back.

Because if you're like me, your bicolor is one of your favorite fish!

my params are all in check. gist of it is that some hair algae got in and has scattered and is gradually accumulating in some nooks and crannies that are difficult to reach. the algae is essentially mopping up the excess nutrients along with my skimmer, cheato, etc. c'est la vie.

sounds like the lawnmower + bicolor is probably a bad idea since they are both similar body shape, algae feeders. too bad my bicolor barely touches any algae. wish my tangs would discover it one day and mow it down.

I had a baseball-sized rock that was covered in cyano and hair algae. It was after years of neglect. A couple of these snails cleaned it spotless! The hair was short though, maybe 1/4 inch at longest. The funny thing is, they ignored it for a month or two after I bought them, then cleaned it spotless in just a few days.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+526+563&pcatid=563

p-86499-snail.jpg

Though interesting to observe in your home aquarium, the Astraea Conehead Snail serves a greater function of cleaning algae-covered live rock. It is very adept at keeping your aquarium clean. In fact, this small herbivore prefers to feed on nuisance hair algae, as well as cyanobacteria and diatoms.

Back