Mortality rate with Cupramine.

longranger

My first experience with the Cupramine. No particularly copper sensitive fish in the QT so would like to get an idea of expected mortality with reasonably vigorous fish that are eating well. Hate to lose any but figure it may be inevitable.

IMO & IME; most Cu losses are due to raising the Cu level too fast and too high. Waiting until fish are already in trouble is also a problem. I also think many people blame any fish loss on the copper, if there is Cu in the tank. I have a lot of confidence in Cupramine and have used it prophylacticly for years. can't give you a mortality rate; too many variables. Done properly and timely, treating ich with Cupramine is very safe----IMO & IME. Treating velvet---better expect some loss.

any thoughts on treating a tank with eels,shark and puffers with ick and using the cupramine at low therapeutic levels...?

If your fish are eating and healthy you may not experience any loss. Just ramp up slowly over 4 days instead of 2. I've found that most common fish tollerate cupramine very well at the recomended dose. Some of the more delicate fish can be tricky though.

If your fish are eating and healthy you may not experience any loss. Just ramp up slowly over 4 days instead of 2. I've found that most common fish tollerate cupramine very well at the recomended dose. Some of the more delicate fish can be tricky though.

I forgot to mention that the tank also has live rock and sand and setting up a quarantine tank for me is not an option..can I still do the cuperamine ?

After experiencing some painful losses because I was not careful enough with my QT procedures losing one or 2 fish for long term peace of mind feels acceptable. SPYDR I think you need to find a way to make a QT tank an option. It is inconvenient at best but a neccesary long term investment in the hobby IMHO.

After experiencing some painful losses because I was not careful enough with my QT procedures losing one or 2 fish for long term peace of mind feels acceptable. SPYDR I think you need to find a way to make a QT tank an option. It is inconvenient at best but a neccesary long term investment in the hobby IMHO.

Just not possible getting out the 2 fish that are showing signs of ick that I can do, but the rest of the fish including a bamboo shark that's 28 inches and my eels that are also large just ain't gonna be able to come out.
So yes I can treat the 2 fish In a quarantine tank, but I'll still have ick present in the main display.. Kinda defets the whole process of currying two fish but not addressing the main display.

I'm not a shark or eel person; you'll have to check wityh them on the Cupramine. LR absorbs and releases copper, I'd never put copper in a DT. No HT/QT; I have no suggestions, sorry.

I believe Seachem recommends half strength for rays and sharks. I also would not use Cupramine with established live rock/sand as the Cupramine will kill all living things in the rock/sand and you will have ammonia problem which may kill your fish.

I believe Seachem recommends half strength for rays and sharks. I also would not use Cupramine with established live rock/sand as the Cupramine will kill all living things in the rock/sand and you will have ammonia problem which may kill your fish.

It's a fish only so no corals or inverts will ever go in there..
I spoke th seachem and explained my situation with the live rock and they told me it would be fine but just to moniter and test the copper levels due to the live rock absorption..she said to dose for 3weeeks keep the level at .3 to .4
Then after the 3weeks water change run carbon and cuprisorb..

Back