Moving a Fluval 32 setup Help do and don’t do?

Reef Rookie

Moving a Fluval 32 setup what should I do and don’t do?

Bought a Fluval 32 and going to pick it up

Comes with live rock and some corals.

The trip we be about 45 min travel time.

I need sand how much and what kind do I need to buy because its already a working tank?

Can I add more Live rock if so what must i do first?

I will post some pictures

Attachments

• 077B0D92-386A-49BB-88A8-66E66E2F264B.jpeg
    077B0D92-386A-49BB-88A8-66E66E2F264B.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 77986A24-D692-47F3-A8F0-67E4C1BB0E05.jpeg
    77986A24-D692-47F3-A8F0-67E4C1BB0E05.jpeg
    165.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 6BD9444F-747B-42BB-8FD4-9BE7F65EB22E.jpeg
    6BD9444F-747B-42BB-8FD4-9BE7F65EB22E.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 3CBCA02D-0231-4B7A-A7E7-3212949E6AE7.jpeg
    3CBCA02D-0231-4B7A-A7E7-3212949E6AE7.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 12
Moving a Fluval 32 setup what should I do and don’t do?

Bought a Fluval 32 and going to pick it up

Comes with live rock and some corals.

The trip we be about 45 min travel time.

I need sand how much and what kind do I need to buy because its already a working tank?

Can I add more Live rock if so what must i do first?

I will post some pictures

The best would be if you could put everything (corals and rock) in a rubbermaid garbage can or other temperary tank with a heater, then completely clean the tank and setup with new water and heat to temperature, then move the rock and corals in.

Definitely don't reuse the sand. Here's a calculator to figure out quantity to buy:

Aquarium Sand Bed Calculator - Bulk Reef Supply

I like Caribsea anything but oolite (it's too fine). I use the ocean direct regular grade but many people like the special grade arag-alive.

Live Sand for Saltwater Aquariums

Take as much water as you can in buckets, but seeing as that tank has algae issues and is likely neglected, it won't hurt to have a sizeable amount of new water (or all new water).

Yes you can add live rock whenever you want. The existing rock should be established and will seed the new rock you add.

Do you have previous aquarium experience? There's alot more to learn that is obviously not being covered here but all the information can be searched on this site.

I had a 150 gal tank when I got married like 25 years ago
I forgot more then I remember
Thanks for the advice

How to treat Algae issue??
You said clean tank and new sand..
Does that mean new filters?
What temperature do I need tank to be at before I add everything back to it?

I had a 150 gal tank when I got married like 25 years ago
I forgot more then I remember
Thanks for the advice

How to treat Algae issue??
You said clean tank and new sand..
Does that mean new filters?
What temperature do I need tank to be at before I add everything back to it?
By cleaning the tank, I mean just a good wipe of all surfaces with a sponge and water to remove crud and algae. You can use vinegar or citric acid if there's calcium buildup. Clean all the filter passages, skimmer, heater and other equipment. Make it look new again before you add everything back. That's why an in between holding system like buckets or brute can is helpful.

Replace the sand because historically disturbing a full sand bed and reusing has led to worse water quality problems. It's safer to use new sand.

Whatever filters you have in an all-in-one system would best be initially just rinsed well in tank water (that you are going to discard) and reused for the first month or so. They should have valuable bacteria on them and you want to preserve that while it's settling back in. The live rock will have the majority of useful bacteria on it but every bit helps.

Aim for 77-78 degrees is a good common target. Some people run 80, some run 75. I personally aim for 77.

I see alot of cyanobacteria and some hair algae. Likely has high phosphates. The fact you are going to clean the tank and do a big water change is going to help right off the bat. You can pull or cut the hair algae off the rocks when they are in the buckets. Try not to suck any of that cyano out with the water when you tear the tank down. Once you are setup at home and things are running for a couple of weeks, get a clean up crew (cuc) of snails. Astrea, trochus, cerith, turbo are some popular snail choices. Maybe just start with 4 to 6 total snails - don't want them to starve in case you do too good a job.;) There are chemicals for treating cyano but I suggest you avoid that. Let it run and see how it plays out. I've never treated cyano and it just goes away on it's own.

Hopefully the seller is giving you test kits for PH, alkalinity, calcium, magnesium, nitrate, phosphate. If any are expired, get new ones. Avoid API test kits. Reputable test kits are Salifert, Nyos, Aquaforest, Hanna.

Mix your salt to 1.025-1.026 specific gravity. I do 1.025 personally but the ocean is 1.026. A refractometer is best for measuring but I'm guessing you are going to get a plastic swing-arm hydrometer with the stuff. It will do for now.

Last edited:
Some good suggestions above. If it were me, I'd move the rocks and corals into rubbermaid containers with tank water (and lids!). Then drain and discard the remaining water. You can move the tank with wet sand in it, but I would discard the sand when you clean and re-setup the tank. I'd clean the tank, add fresh sand and fresh saltwater, then heat to 78-80 degrees. Once the tank reaches temperature, you can add the rocks and coral back into the tank. I'd scrub each of the rocks off in the old tank water to remove the cyano and any other nuisance algae before putting them into the clean tank.

If you don't have fresh sand now, you can add it later. I rinse new sand in a bucket of old tank water to reduce the dust storm created when adding new sand to the tank. I also use a flexible plastic cup (like they put fast food sodas in) to scoop up the wet sand and lower it into the tank - makes directing where the san ends up easier as well as also helping to reduce the dust storm).

Kevin

I’d give those rocks a brush in new salt water in a bucket.
I’d scrap the water, it has little value.
I’d replace all but 1 cup of original sand, rinsed.
I’d do 2, 50% water changes 2 days apart.
I’d wait 24 hours and test every parameter, put them in the standard ranges as dictated by your salt choice, then work towards keeping them with as little flux as possible.
10% water change weekly.

You must separate your inhabitants from the tank when moving.
45 minutes not to long but you should make sure there’s little to no difference in temp when putting them back.
Sometimes moving can lead to ammonia spikes when areas of low flow sand are present.
Fish in buckets, rock in buckets, reassemble with washed rock, new seeded sand and water that should be all in the normal ranges when first used, bring that up to temp equal to that in the buckets, reintroduce and bring that temp up slowly again to 78-79.

Last edited:
Some good suggestions above. If it were me, I'd move the rocks and corals into rubbermaid containers with tank water (and lids!). Then drain and discard the remaining water. You can move the tank with wet sand in it, but I would discard the sand when you clean and re-setup the tank. I'd clean the tank, add fresh sand and fresh saltwater, then heat to 78-80 degrees. Once the tank reaches temperature, you can add the rocks and coral back into the tank. I'd scrub each of the rocks off in the old tank water to remove the cyano and any other nuisance algae before putting them into the clean tank.

If you don't have fresh sand now, you can add it later. I rinse new sand in a bucket of old tank water to reduce the dust storm created when adding new sand to the tank. I also use a flexible plastic cup (like they put fast food sodas in) to scoop up the wet sand and lower it into the tank - makes directing where the san ends up easier as well as also helping to reduce the dust storm).

Kevin
Ok so used a scrub brush on the rock?
I thought I was to just remove the hair algae ?

Ok so this is what I am thinking
after I get home clean all parts and tanks with vinegar water?

going to put a new bag of sand in tank
Caribsea Ara-Alive Fiji pink Aquarium sand 20 LBS

and

10 or 15 or 20
gals imagitarium Pacific Ocean water
how much new and mix in used out of the buckets I bring home

what type of salt mix to do buy for future water changes?
And how you mix the Salk water?

You all been so nice and helpful
Thank you
Very much

I use Instant Ocean but your salt mix should match the parameters you are going for in your tank.
Mixing new salt can be done in a brute grey garbage can(new), or a fiberglass or poly tank.
The size of the can is determined by the size in gallons of your water change.

Ok Moved Last night!!!
The guy I got this from gave me lots of stuff

Attachments

• 73CA957F-4F62-4C6D-925E-8390DC7D788A.jpeg
    73CA957F-4F62-4C6D-925E-8390DC7D788A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 2AE08133-CED4-4FE1-B1A4-F516B1150E77.jpeg
    2AE08133-CED4-4FE1-B1A4-F516B1150E77.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • D0C1641C-57C0-40BE-AD52-219902205791.jpeg
    D0C1641C-57C0-40BE-AD52-219902205791.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 6