Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

They sure are! We own a bicycle shop, so naturally they came right to mind. We used all new components for the build, but definitely would use used if a person had it on hand.

What?! That is super cool! Do you mind sharing which one? You can PM me if you want. :0)

What?! That is super cool! Do you mind sharing which one? You can PM me if you want. :0)

Of course! Dan's Bike Shop in Ionia.

Invitation is still open should you ever get up this way. Would be nice to have an experienced friend to stop by and see our setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Open invitation to anyone who maybe near us in Michigan - Free SPS frags to whomever would like. Unmounted and freshly cut when you're here, free for the taking.

Only thing we ask in return is that when you're ready to frag, you pay it forward from that colony and give away free as well. Hopefully we can help out some fellow reefers getting started in SPS or the hobby.

What amazing progress! Looks great!

Thank you!! Just mounted 14 New SPS frags yesterday. Can't wait to see it all fill in. Although I noticed 3 of them fell overnight, 2 of which I'm happy because I realized they'd be better in different spots, they must have known I wanted to move them already [emoji85]

57a83b72ce1d8ffc9d6ec78debc03e16.jpg

Looking awesome!! Your growth is great!

Thanks! Need to get some more fish in for sure. With such a strict QT process, it's hard with my work travel schedule. Hopefully in the coming months. I want to get some flasher wrasses in, possibly some anthias and a few others. Definitely have some research to do on both mentioned, I'm new to both kinds.

This is an intriguing thread for me on many levels. One, it's an interesting shaped tanked that's well integrated into the room. Two, it's developing into a gorgeous reef. Three, you're fellow Michiganders. And last but not least......a wife that is equally involved with the reef? A unicorn! �� Here I thought I was lucky in having a wife that tolerates my obsessions.

You two have a great looking reef and I look forward to learning much from your build as I prepare to get back into reefing after an 8 year absence. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

This is an intriguing thread for me on many levels. One, it's an interesting shaped tanked that's well integrated into the room. Two, it's developing into a gorgeous reef. Three, you're fellow Michiganders. And last but not least......a wife that is equally involved with the reef? A unicorn! í*½í¸€ Here I thought I was lucky in having a wife that tolerates my obsessions.

You two have a great looking reef and I look forward to learning much from your build as I prepare to get back into reefing after an 8 year absence. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Wow, thank you for the compliments. We really tried to integrate the tank into the flow of the room as much as possible, we appreciate the positive feedback on this!

It sure is turning into quite the Reef and feels so good! I'm working to slowly include more acros/milles and possibly remove some of the birds nest while everything matures. We shall see how it pulls together.

Michigander! Yayy! PM me what area you live in if you don't want to post it. We're near Grand Rapids/Lansing.

We have been blessed to both love reefing. Thankfully my husband loves the "œmechanical" part of reefing and all of the pieces of a working system on a larger setup like ours. It's definitely a shared hobby, and we thoroughly enjoy it. Plus we keep each other in check on the "œchores" in reefing, the less fun stuff to do! Hah.

When we came back into the hobby, we just returned from an 8 year hiatus also. Sooo much has changed, so much more seems to be known. Such a great thing to see the hobby and equipment to keep progressing.

Mr and Mrs Reef - 290g in wall build

So I believe you all have seen how we have our lights hanging. I've been tossing around the idea of supplementing our Radions with t5's. I haven't started researching them yet, how to incorporate them with our current lighting in terms of mounting, etc. any pointers you want to provide, not only product suggestion but possibly hanging suggestions as well, we are all ears.

Reason for considering t5's is the shadowing, our colonies are getting to the point of being mature, large colonies. Within them, we're losing color on the undersides of the colonies. This is not news or surprising, we knew this coming into LEDs and I didn't think I would care. Now that I'm venturing into mid-higher level SPS, I'd really like to turn up our lighting game.

Last edited:
Things sure have changed and I'm trying to get caught up with them. I'm considering a 6'x6'x30" high SPS tank. I'll need to get a lot of things done elsewhere in the house to get that to fly with the lady of the house!

Metro Detroit here. Since you're near GR, pick me up a 12 pack Dirty Bastard from Founders ��

That's a perfect relationship you and Mr K have.....both into reefing and a division of labor. My wife and I have developed the " don't ask, don't tell" policy and that works quite well �� So she thinks corals cost $4.99, that won't hurt her! Lol. If only she was that gullible.

Looking forward to seeing your reef progress. Keep up the good work!

So I believe you all have seen how we have our lights hanging. I've been tossing around the idea of supplementing our Radions with t5's. I haven't started researching them yet, how to incorporate them with our current lighting in terms of mounting, etc. any pointers you want to provide, not only product suggestion but possibly hanging suggestions as well, we are all ears.

Reason for considering t5's is the shadowing, our colonies are getting to the point of being mature, large colonies. Within them, we're losing color on the undersides of the colonies. This is not news or surprising, we knew this coming into LEDs and I didn't think I would care. Now that I'm venturing into mid-higher level SPS, I'd really like to turn up our lighting game.

Adding T5's was one of the best things I've done to my tank. I love the look, extra PAR and lack of shadow issues.

Sure thing! Jeremy made the mounts himself from bicycle brake lines. If you want more details, let me know and I'll have him chime in. We made sure they were hooked up, but removable with the clips should we need to move the lights at all.
b1dd686997d3783f5c5c2f2ac277b89b.jpg

First, wow beautiful set up! Those little screws with the eyes in your Radions, are those available anywhere or are they a radion part? Thank you for the updates!

First, wow beautiful set up! Those little screws with the eyes in your Radions, are those available anywhere or are they a radion part? Thank you for the updates!

Thank you! I asked Jeremy (husband) on the screws. He said it's been so long he doesn't recall. He believes they came with the Radions. I did a quick google search and it looks like they are available from radion as well. So it is is possible we bought them separate, but he's leaning towards they came with them. Sorry I don't have a better answer!

Thank you! I asked Jeremy (husband) on the screws. He said it's been so long he doesn't recall. He believes they came with the Radions. I did a quick google search and it looks like they are available from radion as well. So it is is possible we bought them separate, but he's leaning towards they came with them. Sorry I don't have a better answer!

No worries, I am just thinking going about switching from Kessil to Radions if not now, but on my next build so was interested. Thanks for looking into it!

What new nori feeders are you loving?

We made our own, should be a few pages back. Here's so snapshots of them. We made them so we don't have to climb the ladder each time to feed nori, and don't have to get our hands wet! In the first pic, they're held on by the "œclips" you see on the right and left of the tank. And the last pic you can see them both in the tank, one on the right, one on the left.

6622786a057fcd858b284e263510b160.jpg

231fca32322f3e37e7aa0a0afae0eb79.jpg
91f72c4a705cae206570793d45b72f29.jpg

That is pretty cool. I made mine out of acrylic! No wet hands or dropped clips for me too.

That's awesome! It's crazy the difference it makes not having to get your hands wet. Plus I live with the theory of keeping my hands out of the tank as much as possible, so a win win.

Back