multiple tangs in a tank, how do yours get along?

geaux xman

please list size tank, size fish(sm/med/lg), order of fish added, and whatever relevant information...

i have a 180g with a 4" powder brown. will add a small purple tang in a couple of weeks.

just looking for stories on particular tangs that have behavioral problems.

also combination of tangs that has been problem free.

heres a local guy with a powder brown bullying his yellow tang.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx9STyLiIQ4

Last edited:
tank 1

7ft x 2ft ~210g fowlr
saifin (huge)
purple(med)
no issues

tank 2 6ft x 2ft ~215g fowlr
blonde naso (med)
scat(med) (not a tang but tang like)
no issues

tank 3 175g bowfront (6ft) fowlr
convict (small medium)
hippo (medim)
no issues but the convicts name is spazoid

tank 4 75g softie mini reef
yellow tang (small medium)
no other tangs
no issues

7' 265
3 4"-5" tangs
yellow (smallest)
Black and Cheveron about the same 5" mark..
All get along just fine, all where added at the same time. been together for about 2.5 years.

My only tank- 400 gallon(7'x3'x30").

I don't remember the order of fish.

2 yellows(5-7")
1 purple(6")
1 blonde naso(8")
1 scopas(4")
1 striated(4")
1 regal(5")
1 chocolate mimic(6")
2 sailfins(6-7")

My current grouping cohabit nicely.

I have 8 tangs in a 420g. Not a problem in a large tank but when adding anacathrus(sp) tangs i had to devide the tank for a couple weeks and just let them look at each other. After awhile they dont even notice each other.. maybe a little chase now and again.

seems like most species are pretty tame. usually its the powder blue and sometimes the purple tang that i read would cause havoc. oh and the sohal too.

120g

last year;
yellow tang 3" 1st added with a foxface rabbit 4", a month later added a hippo tang 2", almost 2 months later i added a naso 3" (hierarchy fallowed that order)

Aggression was displayed towards the naso tang, on intro, by the fox and YT. I fixed this by removing the YT and the fox for 1 week. During that time i rescaped the tank. This helped however when re intro'd the YT became the boss again but did not pick on the naso tang, the fox on the other hand continued. When i saw the fox was beginning to bite the fins of the naso i sold him. The fact that the fox is a boring fish made the decision easy.

In august i sold the Hippo because it became to large and began challenging the other fish.

In November i purchased a CBB 4", both the naso and YT displayed aggression. when i noticed bite marks on the CBB i removed both tangs for 1 week and rescaped again. during that week i sold the YT, i reinto'd the naso, now almost 5" and purchased a 4" purple tang 3 days later. current hierarchy; 1 PT and 2 NT, no fighting is ever observed between them.

125g reef 6'x2', over the course of about 6 months we added... med yellow(1st),sm hippo(2nd),med sailfin(3rd),med powder brown(4th), med powder blue(5th)....we added the powder blue after dinner time and the brown immediately attacked it, we spent hours seperating them, at bed time the blue found a hiding place, we woke up the next morning and the blue was dead. Other then that problem free.

125g reef 6'x2', over the course of about 6 months we added... med yellow(1st),sm hippo(2nd),med sailfin(3rd),med powder brown(4th), med powder blue(5th)....we added the powder blue after dinner time and the brown immediately attacked it, we spent hours seperating them, at bed time the blue found a hiding place, we woke up the next morning and the blue was dead. Other then that problem free.

powder brown never picked on any of the other tangs?

125 6'
foxface ---> Yellow eye kole ---> powder blue
fox picked on PBT for a couple days until PBT decided to grow a pair. NOw the PBT rules the tank. No direct aggression anymore except once in a while when I put a new nori strip in.

2 tanks...

2 yellows
1 purple
1 sailfin
1 blue
1 eiblii mimic
1 pbt
1 sohal
1 vlamangii
1 blonde

Only fighting is the sohal, but he chases the large orange spot rabbit mostly and has only cut a pyramid butterfly twice.

My friend had a purple, 2 yellow and 1 sailfin in a 200g tank, all added together. They got along just fine for 6 months and then one day all hell broke loose -one yellow started picking on the other yellow, which was bruised, had torn fins and lying on the sand before my friend managed to pull him out

In my 150g, the yellow tang keeps attacking my long finned bannerfish but ignores the Regal tang. He picks on the foxface at times too

In my 240g:

2 powder browns: one is about 4.5", the other 3"
4 yellow tangs: one is over 5", rest are 2-3"
1 mimic tang: about 4"

The large powder brown occasionally chases the smaller one around, and the yellow tangs sometimes follow each other in a group, but for the most part they act fine towards each other.

My 150 has a tomini and a powder blue for 4.5 years now. No issues. I tried a purple tang with them, but it grew very fast, and got very aggressive, so I removed it. That was only about 9 months total time.

120 with hippo, sohal both about three inches and a sailfin about six inches. Added in that order and no aggression. I also have a blue line rabbitfish that was one of the first inhabitants that the sailfin hangs with all day.

See below. Not one mention of any of them being mean to any of the inhabitants of the tank. Sorry can't remember the exact order they were all put in. The Sailfin was one of the first and is the biggest. The Tennent, Yellow and Naso were added last. Keep em fed, they are happy. Tennant and Vlaminii are growing very fast, they are about 8" long now, Naso close behind. Scopus is larger than the Yellow but neither pays attention. I'd have to say the yellow is the smallest in the tang class at about 4". The Sailfin is just BIG, fat and tall wise, not necessarily long, but pretty big nonetheless.

Last edited:
Back