My 1300 gallon addiction: A Miami reef build story.

:celeb2::celeb2::spin2:Wow!!!!!

What are you going to use for water movement in that beast!!!

Corey

Quite the tank! I noticed there isn't all too much above the tank - what is your lighting plan for this deep tank?

wow, sweet. Those swing out service platforms are fantastic. Also, the floor choice looks good with the tank.

Last edited:
Thanks so much everyone, the praise and words of encouragement are appreciated. I have a ton more pictures that I am going to try and post today, as the tank is already setup and cycled. As far as equipment, the basic list is as follows:

Return pump - Reeflo Hammerhead

Accessories pump - Reeflo Dart Gold (feeds manifold(s) running 2 x large Bashsea reactors for Carbon and GFO, chiller, frag tank, and eventually UV)

Closed loop system - 2 x Waveline DC 12000

Rock - combination 500lbs Marco dry rock (base and shelf) and Peter's private stash of dry rock (some amazing pieces)

Skimmer - Custom Bashsea twisted skimmer run with Waveline DC 12000

Nitrate/BioTower reactor - Custom Bashsea 12" x 48" run with Waveline DC 12000

Sump - Custom Bashsea (approximately 120 gallons)

Refugium - Myton Industries poly container (approximately 100 gallons) with Marco dry rock and cheato

Lighting - 2 x Ushio 400watt 14k in Lumenbright (large) reflectors and an 8 bulb 24" T5 fixture (just ordered ATI Coral Plus bulbs to mimic 14/15k) in between halides

Frag system - approximately 25 gallons plumbed to main system using (currently) 120 watt "China box" LED fixture. Planning on swapping for a 175 or 250 watt 14k halide or T5's

Water change station - 250 gallon vertical storage tank from Tank Depot, and we're in the process of installing an Iwaki pump (1170gph) to mix/circulate salt

Auto water change - I am ordering a Stenner 170 gpd dual head pump to setup an auto water change of about 5-7 gallons per day.

RODI - Bulk Reef supply Universal 6 stage water saver plus setup to 3 distinct locations with valvage: sump, QT tank, and water storage container.

Salt - Currently using SeaChem reef salt mix

Doser - Bubble Magus TM11 complete dosing system and planning to use ME Coral additives

Chiller - Universal Marine Industries titanium heat exchanger with split system 1.5hp Amana AC condenser located outdoors. Uses Ranco commercial Temp controller.

QT system - 65 gallon with MarineLand HOB 400 (rated for 90 gallons). Planning on quarantining everything that goes in 2-4 weeks and dosing Cupramine and anything else required. Weekly (or as needed) water changes planned.

Ventilation - 300cfm inline fan mounted to ceiling directly behind display tank, vented into main exhaust duct going out roof.

Test kits - All Salifert and a few Hanna Checkers

There's probably more I'm forgetting, but I'm sure the pictures will give more details. I'll try and post today!!!

Is the tank drilled for the closed loop?
Are you only putting 2 halides on the tank plus 8 bulbs of T5?

Corey

wow!!!! you had me with the lighting!!!! great choice, i also use 400w 14k MH and t5's. could you tell more about the denitrator, what kind of media?

The "Closed loop" pumps actually sit inside the large external overflow and are routed directly inside the canopy, hidden, to the farther two returns. I control the output of each pump with the Waveline controllers.

I've decided to go with Artificial salt water to avoid any impurities from NSW.

My wife enjoys the hobby for its aesthetics, but isn't a reefer...she's just VERY, VERY understanding.

There are about 21 inches above the tank, maybe about 18" or so after canopy installation, which allows for the halides to be mounted within placing the bulbs about 11 inches above the water level. Its not too hard to reach in and out of the display, although I imagine I will need to get wet every once and a while.

here are some more pics:

Peter and his brother-in-law inside the tank detailing it for the bracing install.

the tank with surrounding floor complete

Peter wearing his sunglasses at 1am indoors...gotta love it!

The bracing

More progress with the FRP...love this stuff.

The night disaster struck. When I was cleaning out the original 230 gallon vertical water storage tan I purchased (used on CL), it burst apart! Good thing this took place outside and not in the fish room.

...The Thinker

Peter added PVC board trim below the tank within the stand and his detail work is stellar. It works great for storage, is easy to clean if need be, and just looks clean.

Canopy being built. It's 3/4 wood construction, and has a gap between the actual ceiling and the canopy, with trim, to both allow for crown molding to be installed, as well as to allow for the hiding of the return plumbing.

Canopy installed and bracing curing.

Peter doing what he does best.

The returns are plumbed through the euro-bracing on the tank and when hidden by the canopy keep it looking neat and clean.

Back