My 1300 gallon addiction: A Miami reef build story.

So I tested last night and the parameters are:

Phosphates - what's looks to be slightly less than 0.03 (an improvement)
Nitrates - 25ppm
Alkalinity - 7.3 (dosed 250ml Alk which testing tonight should reveal what that accomplished) I plan on programming Bubble Magus tonight based on rough estimates)
PH - 8.1
Calcium - 450ppm
Salinity - between 1.024 and 1.025 (probably going to add a 50 gallon bag of SeaChem reef salt tonight to boost a bit)
I totally forgot to test Magnesium but I will retest everything tonight.

If I decide to stay with Rowaphos/GFO for the time being until I decide on a Lanthanum Chloride dosing protocol, I think 1.75-2L of media will put me right around an undetectable level of phosphate...

I don't believe it is good to add salt directly to the tank when there is already fish in it. The chemicals will bother them since its not diluted in the water yet.

My plan was/is to mix it with RODI water (probably a couple of gallons worth) overnight until it's concentrated but thoroughly mixed, and then slowly over the course of a few hours, pour that mix into the sump...probably over the filter floss to catch any remaining larger unmixed particulates. That way the concentrated mix can dilute more before hitting the main display. No good?

My plan was/is to mix it with RODI water (probably a couple of gallons worth) overnight until it's concentrated but thoroughly mixed, and then slowly over the course of a few hours, pour that mix into the sump...probably over the filter floss to catch any remaining larger unmixed particulates. That way the concentrated mix can dilute more before hitting the main display. No good?

NO GOOD!

Salt mixes won't mix in a concentrated form. New insoluble compounds will be formed and won't ever dissolve.

You always want to mix the salt in the final volume of water at normal concentrations.

Got it!!! Understood, and that makes sense. So how would you suggest I can boost the salinity of the system? I would like to do it without having to perform a large volume water change

Got it!!! Understood, and that makes sense. So how would you suggest I can boost the salinity of the system? I would like to do it without having to perform a large volume water change
My understanding is that you can mix water at a higher salinity and gradually raise the salinity in the tank over time rather than trying to fix it in one swoop.

When moving my tank out of hypo salinity, I just used saltwater as my ATO until I reached my desired salinity.

I have my ATO connected directly to my main RODI on a float switch with no reservoir (and plan to add solenoid and leak detector shut off), so I need to figure out a way to raise it without a concentrate mix I guess...

I have my ATO connected directly to my main RODI on a float switch with no reservoir (and plan to add solenoid and leak detector shut off), so I need to figure out a way to raise it without a concentrate mix I guess...

It's at ~1.024 now, right?

How are you testing? Is the test calibrated?

You could just do WCs with slightly higher new water. 1.027 or so should raise it slowly, but raise it. After a few WC you'll be there.

Awesome setup! Love the panoramic fish room pic. What did you use for buffing? I'm getting ready to do this in a month or so and I'm looking for the best option.

Maybe a few smaller frequent water changes would be the simple less invasive method of gradually increasing salinity. It is around 1.024, so says my refractomerer...which I believe to be calibrated ok.

Buffing glass??? Peter Diaz from Vivid Clear Glass/Great Ocean Aquariums buffed out the entire tank and even though I thought there weren't too many scratches to start with, it made a WORLD of a difference. The clarity of the perfectly buffed out low iron glass is insane. PM me if you want his contact info.

Raise salinity slowly! Fast is harmful to fish.

You could turn off your top off and use saltwater to top off for evaporation. That will slowly increase your salinity to desired levels.

Shut off the ATO and manually top off with saltwater until you reach your desired salinity... though 1.0245 isn't more than a touch off target levels

Shut off the ATO and manually top off with saltwater until you reach your desired salinity... though 1.0245 isn't more than a touch off target levels

This would be my suggestion as well. Just use saltwater as your top off water until you reach the desired alkalinity.

So Peter and I spent some time adding blue mesh (I forget the exact name but it's now being sold on BRS) to the sump area, in particular between some weirs and surrounding the hammerhead return inlet, in an attempt to reduce micro bubbles in the display. It was successful in the sense that we probably reduced the visible amount by more than half, but we both think the large amount of flow via the drains/returns, along with the two waveline DC12000 closed loops, needs to valved back a bit. Adding more blue mesh to the external overflow and possibly raising the water level in the overflow (to avoid the now 6+ inch drop) will help...we'll see.

On the parameters front, I added another 0.5L of Rowaphos to the reactor and am hoping that (2L total) will be what brings my phosphates down to non-detectable. I've added more of the corals I had in the previous system, to include some that had been hurting in my previous system and with the tank transition. I'll post some pics of those corals tomorrow. Calcium is steady at 450, and magnesium was a bit low at 1190. I dosed another 200ml of alkalinity as I've been dosing and testing to see how to best program the doser. On Thursday it was at 7.3, at which time I dosed 300ml. Two days passed and it was at 8.2. I will test tomorrow to see what the 200ml I added today did, and begin dialing it in for a daily dose soon. My goal is to keep it consistently at 9-10dkh.

Now, back to organizing the fish room...More pics to come!

I'm pleased at the improvement but would definitely entertain a more cost effective long term solution than running 1.5-2L of GFO every 60 days or so. Maybe the Lanthanum chloride is the answer...

That's what I'm dosing... better than running through a lot of GFO...:thumbsup:

Back