My 29gal

Anyone wanna come to my house and help me with my tank like helping me romoving my hair algea rearranging my liverock or if anyone can donate me some sw stuff that would be appreciated

lol wosh i could man. good luck with the algea removal. it is a PITA depending on how established the HA gets. I lke to dip my rock in water (fresh water) for 30 minutes as I find that this not only helps to get rid of some bristleworms but it also dislodges some of the ahir algea. I have done this many times and it seems to work. after you get your tank finished go get some blue leg hermits, some turbo snails and nerite snmails. maybe a few scarlet red reef hermets and a small goby to sift sand. 2 emerald crabs will also help. that should solve that part of the problem. then go get some r/o water as your top off, a simple r/o unit costs $200 where i got mine). Good luck and please psot more pics after you clean it.

RO, got mine shipped off Ebay for 155. 6 stage, DOW chemicals, and comes with a TDS meter and Pressure guage.

For now just keep checking your aquariums salt salinity every week or less. If too salty just buy some distilled water anywhere you can get it, that you are sure is perfectly clean :).

Richard, R.o.di water is not an option in this hobby, it is a must! you ask for opinions and everyone is giving you their opinions. You must find a way to do your water changes with Ro water otherwise your system will fail, This may mean that you may need to get the money out of your weekly allowance, lunch money, or perhaps you may need to talk to your folks and ask them to let you work a part time home or at their business, whatever it is you must find the way to earn the money for the maintenance of this hobby

Yea i know rogger i think i am gonna do one this week. I dont get allowance they dont believe in allowance so whenever i need things i get money some other way

lol how funny. richard. tell your parents to read the forums about r/o. they will realize that you need one (like mine did). if you get one just make sure to replace the cartriges whenever they are black and the d/i resin turns all gold.

In general the prefilters should be changed every 1000 gallons and the DI should be changed every 500 gallons.

just a thought.

i think parents should encourage the intrests of thier children and support them in a positive hobby.

however, reefkeeping is a costly hobby and buying the stuff you need (before the stuff you want) is an inseprable part of the hobby. although it would be nice if your parents financed your hobby, there is nothing that says they should be obligated to.

your ability to financialy sustain your hobby must be part of the decision weather or not to participate in the hobby in the first place.

if $7.00 a month for premixed saltwater (3gallons a week @ $.50 a gallon) and RO for topoff (4 gallons for $1.00) is to much of a financial burden, then your in the wrong hobby!

---- what am i getting at? ----- buy the stuff you need ( purified water, protien skimmer, algea scrubber, replacement bulbs for backup, etc...) before you go looking for the stuff you want (true percula clowns, rose buble tip anemone, coral frags, etc...)

judging by the responses youve been getting lately, if you start to take more responsibility for your hobby, others would be more willing to help and guide you.

I love the grassy stuff on the top rocks though! Fish heaven! I'm sure the pro's dont like it but bet your fish do! I have a little 10 gallon tank at school with a pin fish in it and he is like a clown on an anemone on my big grassy rock.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6926723#post6926723 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by True Percula
yea but can i just use saltwater from big als which is 50cents a gallon

Hey Richard,

I just wanted to make sure you understood what they were saying about the top off water. You need to add clean (RO) freshwater to make up for the water that evaporates. You use saltwater to do changes. I am not sure you realized that. I am only saying this because I read somewhere that most people that have been in the hobby take it for granted that everybody knows that.

And, I like the hood to. Nice tank. Just make sure the rock is stable. If it seems a little wobbly than change it around some. It would suck if it pinned your perc's one night.

Matt

thanks um all the algea problems is done i cleaned the tank and did a 50% water change today i am doing 2gallons of water change

Back