My 47G Rimless T5/LED Hybrid SPS Tank

I am on the verge of resetting my tank. Due to Dinos and Vermetid Snails/Worms all over the rocks etc, I think getting new rocks and restarting the tank is the best option for me.

My wife is currently in the USA and will bring back 35lbs of Marco Rocks for me.

It may be months, but I will update with some photos at a suitable point.

I feel your pain, Sahin. I'm currently resetting my tank due to Dino's as well. :rolleyes: I tried Algea X; unfortunately, it didn't work for me.

BUT, this is a chance to improve, a way to make the system even better, right? :) I'm currently building a larger/better sump with reactors and ATO. It's something that I wanted to do, but I always had an excuse not to do it. Now, there's no excuse.

Be encouraged by a fresh outlook! :thumbsup:

So what happened with the algae x? I had hopes for you and all those other people out there with dinos that this would be a possible cure. Please elaborate as I have recently restarted my tank, only to find that these things have returned. I am now thinking bleach would be a great way to fix these rocks. Same with the sand. Has this dino crap been a reefing problem for years or is it a new issue? I see it as a very common problem these days.

So what happened with the algae x? I had hopes for you and all those other people out there with dinos that this would be a possible cure. Please elaborate as I have recently restarted my tank, only to find that these things have returned. I am now thinking bleach would be a great way to fix these rocks. Same with the sand. Has this dino crap been a reefing problem for years or is it a new issue? I see it as a very common problem these days.

The AlageX works. But whether it works to eliminate Dinos permanantely I dont know.

I have two Maxima clams. They were both fine. I've had them for over two years and they are still in excellent health.

I stopped the Algae X when the Dinos vanished. But after a while they returned. Once again, they are on the sandbed. Previously Dinos started growing on the rocks ONLY when thier growth got REALLY bad.

I dont know why they prefer the sand bed. The sand is from the same bag I used with my nano tank which never got Dinos.

In any event, I made the decision to go with a bare bottom tank with new rocks. The decision to reset was made not only due to the Dinos, but also due to:

1. Vermated snails/worms. I have thousands of these in my tank. Again, in my nano tank with the same rocks, thier growth was mnimal, in this tank, their populations exploded. I just dont know why. But they look ugly to me and my rocks look all prickly with spines.

2. Aiptasia. I dont have too many; thier population is only 6 or so and they havent really increased thier numbers. But again sometimes something triggers these things off and they increase numbers.

So, I am getting Key Largo Marco Rocks from the USA to the UK. My wife is in NY as I write, and Marco has sent a box of Key Largo Rocks to NY, my wife will bring this back with her hopefully on Tuesday.

I am going to strip down the whole tank, frag my corals, dip the frags in Revive and then place in my brothers tank for a few months.

I plan to run the tank without light, for 2 months and let the biological system develope. After that I will introduce actinic light whilst keeping a close eye on nitrates and phosphates. Only the parameters are stable, I will reintroduce my SPS corals.

Before I even place the rocks into the tank, I am going to scrub and wash everything in diluted bleach and then vinegar to kill all the vermated snails/worms and also kill off all the traces of Dinos.

IF the Dinos come back with fresh rocks, no sand and months of hard work then I have no choice but to leave the hobby.

This tank is the best I have had so far in terms of equipment and automation of parameters, and has had the most amount of money put in to make sure the SPs corals get the best of thier requirements, so it really is a downer when Dinos come along and ruin everything.

I will also completely renew the parts of my RO/DI unit as well just to eliminate all possible issues. In any event I get 0 TDS values out of my RODI unit.

Did u make any changes after finishing algae x? If not for the other issues would you consider another round of it?

Sahin, did you ever try using anything like ROWA phos? I've heard from a few threads that it's thought to be fueled from Silica, and I know ROWA phos is suppose to reduce silica in the aquarium. I just wanted to know what your thoughts were on that topic.

I'm getting ready to start my system again; I still have acans that have made it with minimal lighting, but they need more light soon. I'm wondering if running the ROWAphos (for silica reduction) and kalkwasser (for higher and stable pH) will help prevent future returns. The extended lights out that I did worked for killing them, but they killed my SPS before they went.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the ramble. I hope everything works out well for you. :thumbsup: I would hate to see you leave the hobby. Like I mentioned before, your system design is top-notch.

Hi Sahin,
Sorry to hear the problem. Hope your new rocks work for you. I heard it would kill all organism if you baked the rocks at high temperature before putting them in. Please don't give up this hobby you love! You will be doing fine.

Cheer!

Now did you get rid of algea on sandbed

Now did you get rid of algea on sandbed

Hi sahin. You tank looks great. I see in one of your pictures you had some algea/cyno on your sandbed. How did you get rid of it? I've been trying to get rid of some algea for a bit now and its not going away.

Did u make any changes after finishing algae x? If not for the other issues would you consider another round of it?
I didnt make any changes, other than to start increasing the light hours. If it werent for the other issues, yes, I would have given the AlgaeX another go. Claude mentioned that the Dinos may come back slightly, but that you ought to resume dosing again. But I thought what the heck, I might as well reset the whole system.

Sahin, did you ever try using anything like ROWA phos? I've heard from a few threads that it's thought to be fueled from Silica, and I know ROWA phos is suppose to reduce silica in the aquarium. I just wanted to know what your thoughts were on that topic.

I'm getting ready to start my system again; I still have acans that have made it with minimal lighting, but they need more light soon. I'm wondering if running the ROWAphos (for silica reduction) and kalkwasser (for higher and stable pH) will help prevent future returns. The extended lights out that I did worked for killing them, but they killed my SPS before they went.

Anyway, I'm sorry for the ramble. I hope everything works out well for you. :thumbsup: I would hate to see you leave the hobby. Like I mentioned before, your system design is top-notch.

Kasey,

I have always used Rowa, but started to use another product a year or so back. To the best of my knowledge most iron based phosphate removers work similar?

Having said that, some of my previous tanks didnt even run any phosphate remover and were fine! :headwalls:

Hi Sahin,
Sorry to hear the problem. Hope your new rocks work for you. I heard it would kill all organism if you baked the rocks at high temperature before putting them in. Please don't give up this hobby you love! You will be doing fine.
Cheer!
I got my Marco key Largo rocks and I am going to bleach the rocks and then acid clean them just to be sure to remove as much phosphate and crap as possible! Hope it works!

nice tank , very clean . great job
Thank you.

really nice tank you have there.
I like the size of that tank.
Thank you. I hope the tank goes well after the reset.

Any updates? Is your wife back with your rocks? I bet she had some weird looks at check in!
Yeah, she came back ok. I was worried though; on arrival at JFK my silly mother in law got a $300 fine for attempting to take fresh vegtables from the UK! :headwally: We told her not to do that...but these older generation people...they just dont listen...anyway, I told my wife to walk seperately from her mother as she goes through customs etc...in case they find the rocks and see the fine my mother in law got and think the rocks are something illegal or like that!

Hi sahin. You tank looks great. I see in one of your pictures you had some algea/cyno on your sandbed. How did you get rid of it? I've been trying to get rid of some algea for a bit now and its not going away.
The Cyanno was easy to get rid of: though I did cheat by using Chemiclean.

I am sorry to reply rather late to some of the posts. Life is rather busy at the moment and with the tank at its worst, I dont like visiting my own thread anymore.

Anyway, I have 35lbs of Key Largo Marco rocks. This is the perfect amount to have enough rocks for scaping for what I want to do.

I have also replaced all the consumables in my RODI unit and washed and cleaned the whole unit. Even though I had 0TDS, I decided to replace all the consumables just to eliminate an issue here.

The Key Largo Rocks will have a bleach bath tonight and sometime next week will undergo an acid bath. I am doing this to ensure that I remove as much phosphate and organics as possible.

Hi Sahin,
It has been a few months already since your last post. How are you and your tank doing? Any updates?

Bernie

Hi Sahin,
It has been a few months already since your last post. How are you and your tank doing? Any updates?
Bernie

Hello my friend. I will start a new build thread in a month or two. I have just finished cycling my tank and placed a few SPS frags. At the moment the tank has some diatoms. The frags are doing ok.

Once the tank is somewhat presentable, I will make a new thread and provide full details etc.

Thanks for checking in on my thread.

Hello my friend. I will start a new build thread in a month or two. I have just finished cycling my tank and placed a few SPS frags. At the moment the tank has some diatoms. The frags are doing ok.

Once the tank is somewhat presentable, I will make a new thread and provide full details etc.

Thanks for checking in on my thread.

Hi Sahin,
Wow, that is great that you are going to start a new thread. Can't wait to see it! :beer:

Last edited:
I will be making a new thread very soon. Apologies to those who are following. My Nikon D70 which is nearly 10 years old has had it, and my rubbish Iphone camera cannot cope with the white balance, so I dont even bother taking fish tank photos with it.

I am looking to either buy a new camera, or at least borrow a Canon T4i from my bro when he comes back from his extended holiday.

My tank is finally doing well. When I do post some photos, it will be worth it. :D

Back