My BEST hitchhiker is an OCTOPUS!

ULTRA SUPER COOL!

Amazing photos! Your heart must have been racing the night you discovered your beaked friend - gorgeous octopus; I challenge anyone to have a better hitchhiker story!

Oh yeah, more pics now...

Again, awesome! Gorgeous pics to boot...I love the first few night shots - the glowing blue freckles are simply amazing...are these available for purchase?

That's too cool. Diving I've been fairly lucky seeing Octopi on a regular basis. One was very curiuos & followed me down the reef - drift dive. I haven't been brave enough to put my hand out to allow one to touch me
They are very curiuos

Those are some awesome pictures! Make sure you have a good lid on your tank. My uncle had an octopus (the kind that imitates other animals to escape predators), but it pushed up the lid, jumped out, and ended up on the bathroom floor. His wife went into the bathroom in the middle of the night and ran out screaming after stepping in a "pile of goo". It would be a shame for such a cool creature to end up on the floor.

amazing find! i absolutely love it

i found a young octopus on the beaches in FL one time, we caught it and moved it to a safer area but it was amazing to see it up close and personal.. if they werent so difficult to keep in captivity i would love to have one

im happy tosee you tryign to keep it alive as long as possible and thats amazing it has become such a puppy-like member of your tank

Definetly cool. I had an octopus in my 44 gallon a few years ago. It was a hitchhiker off TBS rock from Florida. It was pretty small but when I went to take it to a friend's predator tank, it didn't make it. I've read they don't take stress very well. Either way, good luck with it. They are definetly cool creatures.

I found one in my Tank also, Heres a pic of him, about the same size as yours.

96341octo-med.jpg

I know you don't want to hear this but I suggest you get this guy out ASAP he is going to kill all your fish, they hunt them at night and all you find in the morning is half eaten bodies. The first thing he will consume is all your crabs then shrimp and lastly fish. They are very very smart and hard as hell to get out of the Aquarium, I suggest you get it right on the first attempt as he will never fall for the same trick twice.
My gut instinct tells me that you will ignore my post like the other one above that said the same thing, in that case say "Astalavista" to those fish, it's only a matter of time before he Terminates them ;)

"It does look a lot like Octopus briareus, particularly the "web" at the base of its arms, but I don't think that's exclusively diagnostic. If your LFS is correct that it came from the Pacific then it is certainly not O. briareus. The question is whether or not the store really knows where their stuff comes from. Either way, its no dwarf!"

Yeah he looks like My Octo Meatwad.
Meat was is an O. briareus but he came from florida
and some one asked about it and yes you can buy them but first
go to www.tonmo.com and start reading.
they can be kept they are not to hard once you know how.
just a matter of educating yerself :)

hey that guy looks awsome, i got one as a hitchhiker too, cept it took me the loss of 2 juv clowns, small mimic tang, leopard wrasse, dragon leapoard wrasse and a scoter blenny before i turned my bedside lamp on one night and saw this star shaped thing disapeer behind my rock, never ever saw it during the day, my GF refused to sleep at my place once i found it as i had no lid on my tank. never got him out, but found the body when my tank crashed in the rediculous 47 degree sumers day that cost me my entire setup ( air con broke, no ice or fans could cool my tank cos my rooms in the atic)

all my fish were smaller then the ones i can see in your photos and if he's used to your feedings should be ok by now. oh yeh when i told my mate at the LFS what i had found in my tank he laughed so hard to himself cos he said yeh we wondered where that thing disapeered to.... Gee thanks! how bout some store credit then!

Sorry to hear lux_06 I wanna get one and set up a tank for it the min tank size for the dawrf octo is only 20g.... YAY

Back