My Breeding attempt - Perculas:

I got a bag of "S" strain over a year ago and they are still going strong. My friends have renamed my rots the "B" strain since they seem to be very hardy and healthy.

--Barbara

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15560490#post15560490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lifes A Beach
I got a bag of "S" strain over a year ago and they are still going strong. My friends have renamed my rots the "B" strain since they seem to be very hardy and healthy.

--Barbara
Thanks Barbara. Can you PLEASE tell me/us your methods of madness so we can stop killing these critters? This is my 3rd crash in about a year and it's not only getting costly with having to overnight new cultures but the little clowns suffer too when they've got nothing to eat and perrish. :sad2: Thanks, Bob

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15558082#post15558082 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dazed
at some point i had a culture of each but the "s" strain crashed; i tried using the muck from the bottom of the pail but i also added some of the "l" culture as well; so i may have a mix i am not really sure, but if i had to guess i would say i am using the "l" strain.

what temp are you keeping it at? We've found "s" and "ss" prefer warmer water (80's??? IIRC) and temp is a good way to keep them from cross contaminating each other.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15560490#post15560490 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lifes A Beach

--Barbara

Our "L" strain has been through so much it's nearly bullet proof now :lol: We haven't had a crash since before I joined the company but we are very up on maintaining the cultures. Our systems are pretty sophisticated though :(

I've always wanted to do the "L" because it's more readily available, plus it's the only strain you guys carry so I figured it was fine. The problem however, was that when I started this breeding thing, I needed the "S" strain for my Yellow Head Sleeper Gobies because I read that that was all the larvae was capable of eating. I just ordered the "S" last night again just to play it safe in case my gobies breed again but will probably get your "L" strain when I place my next order. I really could use a "bullet proof" batch! LOL I've been trying to figure out a way to make an automated water change system for my Rots. My main problem with all of this is lack of space. I'm working out of a closet and only have a limited space for setting up tanks and equipment. I can't wait to move to our new house where I'll have more room to work! Then I can watch my wife REALLY flip out! :D

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15558381#post15558381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rkelman
"It's just that this is getting costly because this is the 3rd time I've had to do this and somehow, my rots only crash "exactly" when I need them!"

I know... Mine crash regularly because of my lack of maintenance / contamination. You aren't trying to dye them blue like that other guy are you? :)

What's the matter with blue :D
Mine crash for the same reasons above:rollface:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15562978#post15562978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
what temp are you keeping it at? We've found "s" and "ss" prefer warmer water (80's??? IIRC) and temp is a good way to keep them from cross contaminating each other.

Well that's the first mistake for me right there, i had them in one of my unheated containers, lol.
I have the "L" group around 75-78 is that ok?

Is the cross contamination something to worry about?
or is a rot a rot, I know they are different sizes but it's not going to hurt anything if they eat a "s" & then a "L" is it?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15562985#post15562985 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
Our "L" strain has been through so much it's nearly bullet proof now :lol: We haven't had a crash since before I joined the company but we are very up on maintaining the cultures. Our systems are pretty sophisticated though :(

My system is not sophisticated at all, lol.
but i can agree with this statement as i have a batch of your "L" strain and let's just say they are not living in the best of conditions but notice i did say they are still alive
:lol:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15563350#post15563350 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719
Then I can watch my wife REALLY flip out! :D

:D That sounds familiar where are you going to put that tank? what are you going to put in that tank?

I think my Rots crash from "over cleaning"! I have them in 5 gal aquariums and occasionally scrape the sides of the tanks and then vacuum the bottom into a 5 gal bucket. I then siphen some of the water out through a 53 micron strainer into the bucket and let it sit for a while. I then pour it through the strainer again in hopes of catching some and putting them back into the tanks... Let me guess, this is NOT the proceedures I should be doing???

Maybe I just need to dye them blue and everything will be fine! LOL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15564228#post15564228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dazed
:D That sounds familiar where are you going to put that tank? what are you going to put in that tank?
What tank, my 90? The house will have a finished basement so the 90 will go in the finished part of the room and the plumbing will run through the wall into the mechanical room (where she will never go!). The 90 will still be my reef tank with all of its curent inhabinants. All of my equipment, rearing tanks and culture tanks will be in the mechanical room.

On a different note, are any of you running UV sterilizers and/or Ozone on any of your tanks? I was wondering if either of those could have a negative effect on the parents or egg quality?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15560808#post15560808 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719
Thanks Barbara. Can you PLEASE tell me/us your methods of madness so we can stop killing these critters? This is my 3rd crash in about a year and it's not only getting costly with having to overnight new cultures but the little clowns suffer too when they've got nothing to eat and perrish. :sad2: Thanks, Bob

I keep the salinity at a constant 1.019, I feed Instant Algae 3600 diluted by r/o water twice a day, temp at 78, very slow air bubbles, no direct light on them, and I clean the 5 gal. buckets about every 3-4 months. Simple is sometimes better!

--Barbara

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15564232#post15564232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719
I think my Rots crash from "over cleaning"! I have them in 5 gal aquariums and occasionally scrape the sides of the tanks and then vacuum the bottom into a 5 gal bucket. I then siphen some of the water out through a 53 micron strainer into the bucket and let it sit for a while. I then pour it through the strainer again in hopes of catching some and putting them back into the tanks... Let me guess, this is NOT the proceedures I should be doing???

:idea:
When I clean my rots, I use a slow siphon and I siphon out only the water with the rots, not the garbage in the water. Siphon into another 5 gal. bucket and top off with clean saltwater of the same salinity (I use 1.019).

If you want some fun, you can add some clean water to the nasty bucket and within a few days, you have another culture going from the junk that was left in that bucket. Then siphon this water out as I described above. Then clean the nasty bucket. :thumbsup:

--Barbara

Last edited:
Thank's Barbara!:wave: I was almost on the right track, just a little backwards with what I siphon out. I too keep my water at 1.019sg. I will definately try your method. Sounds much easier!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15565232#post15565232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lifes A Beach
I keep the salinity at a constant 1.019, I feed Instant Algae 3600 diluted by r/o water twice a day, temp at 78, very slow air bubbles, no direct light on them, and I clean the 5 gal. buckets about every 3-4 months. Simple is sometimes better!

--Barbara

I hope you are diluting at the time of use and not prior to storage. If your doing it prior to storage that is unadvised and unwise. It will lead to a quicker degradation of the product.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15568960#post15568960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH
I hope you are diluting at the time of use and not prior to storage. If your doing it prior to storage that is unadvised and unwise. It will lead to a quicker degradation of the product.
Holy geez! That's probably one HUGE problem I've been doing! Up until this new bag of Rot Diet, I've been pre-diluting the 3600 with r/o water and keeping it in the frig. I figured since it was pre-diluted, it could act as top-off water for evaperation. Glad I decided to use drops of Rot Diet straight this time! Oh well, better late then never I guess. :(

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15568960#post15568960 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GreshamH

When I get a bottle of the Nanno 3600, I divide it into 2 oz. cups and freeze it. I defrost it, dilute it with r/o water in a quart bottle and keep it in the refrigerator. It lasts me for 2-3 days. It works for me!

--Barbara

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15564333#post15564333 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by subman719
What tank, my 90? The house will have a finished basement so the 90 will go in the finished part of the room and the plumbing will run through the wall into the mechanical room (where she will never go!). The 90 will still be my reef tank with all of its curent inhabinants. All of my equipment, rearing tanks and culture tanks will be in the mechanical room.

On a different note, are any of you running UV sterilizers and/or Ozone on any of your tanks? I was wondering if either of those could have a negative effect on the parents or egg quality?

No i was quoting my wife sorry for the confusion.

Oh a fish room that sounds nice.

I don't run ozone or uv but i do carbon dose the dt.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15565280#post15565280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lifes A Beach
:idea:
When I clean my rots, I use a slow siphon and I siphon out only the water with the rots, not the garbage in the water. Siphon into another 5 gal. bucket and top off with clean saltwater of the same salinity (I use 1.019).

If you want some fun, you can add some clean water to the nasty bucket and within a few days, you have another culture going from the junk that was left in that bucket. Then siphon this water out as I described above. Then clean the nasty bucket. :thumbsup:

--Barbara

This is the same method i use; well that is when i remember to do it

It's funny, I "remember" to clean the rot tanks all the time. It's just getting the time and energy to do it, that's the problem! LOL

As far as my wife goes, I'm still trying to convince her that I "need" a 300 gallon tank in the new house! You can just imagine how "that's" going! :hammer: :uzi: LOL I haven't even begun to tell her what I plan on having in the utility room! :)

Back