My Classroom's 10g Mixed Reef - SPS, Clams, Gorgs - By AquaLab Aquaria

kentmoney

Montessori Classroom Reef - Palo Alto, CA

The 'quarium at one year. No skimmer, one small pump, 10 gallons. Six fish, SPS, clams, nems, gorgs. Good stony coral growth and a pair of spawning sexy shrimp and clownfish.

1185246_10103211633058426_965864708_n.jpg

1947676_10103211640308896_1042861716_n.jpg

Equipment

Format: Custom All-In-One Design, ~8g display, 2g "sump"

Aquarium: 10g Aqueon AGA

Light: Kessil 350 Blue Tuna - Magnetic Refugium LED

Flow: MaxiJet 1100 (294GPH) > SCWD > Loc Line Nozzle

Filtration: Overflow > Poly Filter > Chaeto Refugium > Semi - Benthic Rock Rubble > ROX Carbon and GFO (PRN) > Return Pump

ATO - AquaLab Aquaria

Livestock

Fish: Ocellaris Clowns, Mated Pair - Neon Gobies, Mated Pair - Tail Spot Blenny - Trimma Goby

Inverts: Sexy Shrimp, Mated Pair - Bubble Tip Anemone Clones - Crocea Clam - 3 Nassarius Snails, 1 Turbo

SPS: Ponape Birdsnest, Red Planet Acro, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornus, Bali Slimer, more

LPS: Brain, Frogspawn, Duncan, CandyCane, Sun Coral, Chalice

Gorgonians: 2 Photosynthetic - 1 Azoox

Soft: Blue Xenia, Pulsing Xenia, Kenya Tree, Neon Toadstool, Zoas, Green Star Polyps, Ricordea

Algaes: Dragon's Tongue, Gracilaria, Valonia (trying to eradicate)

Maintenance

-Weekly Water Change, 10-20%

-Daily Alkalinity and Calcium Dosing, Manually, ~4mL Alk and ~2ml Ca

-Chaetomorpha Pruning

-Glass Scraping

Feeding

-It seems like I feed with reckless abandon. Not to mention my students often over-indulge the fish and corals...I'm starting to theorize that this may be one of the reasons the tank is doing so well; I feed like a mofo and the corals like it. My phosphate is undetectable (Hanna) and my nitrate never registers (API).

-Live phyto, Coral Frenzy, Cyclopeeze, and flake daily.

That is a really sweet tank! Not trying to be a A Hole or anything but isn't that a bit over stocked? That's just me but the tank looks amazing!:beer:

That is one beautiful nano tank. Can you go into more of the logic behind the setup? For example, how did you decide on dosing?

Along with the obvious success, have you encountered any challenges with this tank?

If that thing was in my class:

1. I would make sure my seat was next to it
2. Probably wouldn't be able to focus on the lessons. ;)

Very nice nano

Back