My DIY Automated Controller Build.

Nope, sorry. This has been built bit by bit over the last 2 years. If i sat down and went through all my schematics i could do a list but i dont have the time to do that. Its a big list!!!

I can help with any areas you may need though.

VR

Hey VR
nice work!
im a electronic technician and your build inspires me to take my work and knowledge home with me... and maybe some parts and 1-wire temps as well :p

i was wondering where did you source those doseing pumps from? and what sort of cost i should be looking at each?

love your work, cant wait to see more!

The dose pumps i got from here:

http://www.welco.net/

I was lucky enough to get these for free when they had a sample offer running. Im not too sure how much they retail for, however a quick email to them will soon provide all the information.

making your own controller is great fun! I used to be in the electronics field and with the internet to help fill in the gaps its incredible what you can come up with. Just make sure your designs and circuits are bulletproof and you build in as much redundancy as you can.

VR

I looked at your diagrams and i cant see how your salinity sensor provides 0-5vdc output to arduino. I see pH sensor with op amps but not the TDS. What do you use or how does that magnifier work?
Would you be interested connecting an inline salinity sensor that provides 0-5vdc output?
Also pH inline sensor that provides 0-5vdc output.

Great job!!!
Great Info!!!
Great Build!!!

My major dought is about the control box for the pumps. How do you control a 220V appliance from the arduino? What component do you use?

Great job!!!
Great Info!!!
Great Build!!!

My major dought is about the control box for the pumps. How do you control a 220V appliance from the arduino? What component do you use?

There are several ways to control higher current and voltage.

The primary means is by the use of relays (solid state or mechanical). The uC pins can directly drive the relay coils or do so through a small signal transistor or FET.

Other options are serially (RS-232, TWI, IC2, etc) relay boards that get their instructions from the serial bus of the uC.

:)

There are several ways to control higher current and voltage.

The primary means is by the use of relays (solid state or mechanical). The uC pins can directly drive the relay coils or do so through a small signal transistor or FET.

Other options are serially (RS-232, TWI, IC2, etc) relay boards that get their instructions from the serial bus of the uC.

:)

Thanks!!! :wave:

This relay can do the job? Can y connect his realy directly to an arduino and switch on/off a 220v appliance like a pump?

Thanks!!! :wave:

This relay can do the job? Can y connect his realy directly to an arduino and switch on/off a 220v appliance like a pump?

Most uC pins can sink or source around around 20mA (some more some less). In most cases, we would rather sink current than source it. While 20mA is enough to drive a solid state relay and some mechanical relays, it is best practice to use a transistor to drive the relay and the uC to drive the transistor.

With a simple 5V microcontroller and the proper relay, you can easily control anything.

That said, your questions are very basic and indicate that you are new to electronics and/or basic electrical theory. If you have interest in building projects like this you should look into purchasing a basic electronics book and/or spending some time on basic electronics forums :)

wow-amazing project.

I'm building sth similiar but gotta say, not nearly as professional or automized as yours.

Im facing some problems with the different power supplies I use: 3x 24v supplies for led lighting, 1-2 suppplies for 12v reefpumps, 9v supply for arduino.
Did you add caps and diodes to your circuits to protect your controller from errors and voltage peaks? Or how you making your controller working solid and safe?

Also, I would be interested in getting more info about the ph and salinity probes. This is gonna be the next addons I will need ;)
Did you buy those in the US and do you know if they mail to Europe?
Gotta say all phprobes I saw are kinda expensive. Also, what exactly is the probe for salinity? I did not see anything on the websites you linked to? Are they named differently than salinity probe?

If you are not really into electrics and do not feel save handling with high voltage, I can recommend to use wireless controlled power sockets such as these kinda things (dont know how they are called in the US):
http://src.discounto.de/pics/Angebot/34166/52626_Funksteckdosen-Set-34166_xxl.jpg
I control the wireless controller via arduino to switch all my 230v devices on and off. You just need 5v and gnd and one digital out PIN to control 4 sockets. I bought alltogether 8 sockets and 2 controllers which gives me the opportunity to control a bunch of pumps, 2 heaters, the skimmer etc....
Let me know if you need more input.

Thorsten

I wish I had found this a year earlier... I'm actually looking to do the same thing right now. I could have helped, but I guess this way, I can learn from you :)

I'm kind of curious, for your flood detector, what are you using? Sorry if you've already mentioned this, I went through your site and didn't see it (it might be in your posts on this thread somewhere and I missed it though).

I've actually been planning this for about 5 months and just recently started to make an actual plan. My first order of business is building my WC system - that's where the flood detection comes in.

Thanks,
Eric

I just finished reading your webpage and WOW!!!! Thank you for being so thorough and sharing the information. I am an inspired admirer and have subscribed to see your finished project coming up. Where did you get your front panel printed. Very professional looking. Great job. I'm just starting to build my own controller - have the arduino uno controller and other parts are on the way. You have certainly raised the standard for the DIY reefer. Very professional! Thanks again.

I had the panel engraved at frontpanelexpress.com

Fantastic quality of workmanship and the free software download they give was very easy to use. It is expensive but im my opinion it was well worth it.

The Arduino is a great platform and im sure you will start upgrading once you get building. You soon run out of space when you start adding to your project.

It might not be long before i have to add a second Arduino Mega to mine as the future add ons i have planned will use up all of my I/O

VR

Keep an eye out for the new Arduino Due which should be out in November sometime, and is ARM based (96MHz Cortex-M3). Perhaps it will fit in with your future plans better than a Mega, or perhaps it'll be overkill ;)

Back