My DIY Automated Controller Build.

Fantastic Job. I envisioned doing something similar but you have trully done an awesome job. Your webpage is great. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see more updates.

can you shed some light on your serial powerbar? how does the switching mechanism on it work? Do you have any diagrams you could share? On that note, I see the front panels are done from FPE, what about the rest of the casings?

what are you using for ph and salinity probes?
I was able to find ph probes that use BNC for 20 ish dollars, but nothing much for salinity.

thanks, your project is an inspiration for sure.

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay, for those who have emailed me, i will get back to you in the coming weeks. Its been a crazy few months starting a new job, training etc and i will be moving across the country on Jan 1st. Once settled ill be able to give you all updates etc.

To answer some of your questions on here:

Im currently waiting to have the PCB's made up. The prototype boards you see in my website have proved the circuits run reliably so now i can proceed onto the PCBs.

The serial mains box has inside it a relay for each switched output. I have a data cable which comes from the Aquatroller which tells each relay to turn on/off. Each mains socket has an LED next to it which tells me if the signal is on the relay telling it to turn on. Each switch on the box is just there to quickly turn off the power to the mains socket for quick maintenance.

The main case i used for the Aquatroller is a rack mounted case which you would see in any IT server cabinet.

The Ph and salinity probes i will be using are from here:

http://www.nengshi.com/en/

They are fairly cheap, but they will only accept a money order for payment.

Stay Tuned Folks!

Yeah it's ok, I built a similar system last weekend. Takes out the trash and brings in the paper too.

Seriously, the whole design is just ridiculous! Kudos!

VR great job on the design and workmanship....are you still in Van or have you moved on....?

I am gonna build one of those for my next system. thanks for the post and the info..

RC Members wouldn't it be great if people read the entire post as opposed to just a page and ask questions that have been answered over and over again.:spin1:

Probes are easy!!!

Heres a great place for probes:

http://www.made-in-china.com/showro...EIwrJbnVj/Laboratory-Electrode-catalog-1.html

Ph probes are $8.00 and Conductivity probes are $15.00

I have them and they work great!! Only problem is you have to wire transfer money to them which costs about $40 :(

Hi, I have visited their website and they have many different models of the pH sensors available but not too much information on them... Which ones you tried? Do you know which one comes with a standard BNC connector at the end of the coax cable?

Thanks!

ps. great project - congrats!

To begin with... Just wow. I had the bright idea of using Arduino to build a smart Kalk stirrer and actually had the audacity to think I was innovative. Then I find this thread and now I feel more akin to the sign language gorilla from Congo. "tickle Amy! Tickle aaaaaamy".

I would love to basically just cut and paste your progress and build my own Aquacontroller, but I feel that it's best that I use you as a reference to learn how to do it myself. So I would like to ask you for a sort of bibliography of your sources. I want to learn the basics and really understand it.

That being said, what is a good guide to introduce the Arduino? I have ordered the Arduino Cookbook to begin with. Any other suggestions that would better flesh out the programming language? Also im very interested in building my own PCB board, I think thats what you called it. Did you use a specific program to model your circuit board? If so where can I find it along with a tutorial?

I would appreciate any input that would help set up a fundamental working understanding of how you evolved this amazing project. Thank you.

Great job, curious if you ever got around to setting up an automated salt dispenser. Been looking around for some ideas and there are surprisingly few available on this. Was thinking a side dispensing hopper with a motorized auger might work best.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

I was wondering what happened to this project!! Stumbled upon it when doing research for my tank build, and when I got to the end I was like.... did this guy ever finish? lol. Thanks for the update :D.

Yeah this has been a long road!!! Too long! But the usual changing job, changing house, new baby all got in the way! Its now my turn to play!!

Very nice set up. Curious if you have any sketches or thoughts on your salt dispenser yet? Also, for your automated wc is your return section large enough to drain out the necessary 10-15% water volume without having to shut down your whole system?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2

Hi WSP - I have not thought to much on the salt dispenser yet but i was thinking about a hopper with a 1" SS auger controlled by a dc or stepper motor.

Im about a week away from getting the system wet so, im hoping i will be able to keep the system running while i do the WC. It will all depend how much i can drain before i get a vortex created by the 2" circ pump inlet. If i cant get a good amount i will experiment with either shutting the circ pump off during the change or running the WC more frequent. Either way wont be a problem.

VR

pump selection guide

pump selection guide

Hi,

I was just reading the Welco pump selection guide.

Here's what I came up with and I think it will work for me.

WPX1-L-1/8-s-2-W4-R
WPX1-L-1/8-s-2-W4-B
WPX1-L-1/8-s-2-W4-G
WPX1-L-1/8-s-2-W4-Y

What configuration did you purchase?

Thanks,

Aaron

My DIY Automated Controller Build.

Hi WSP - I have not thought to much on the salt dispenser yet but i was thinking about a hopper with a 1" SS auger controlled by a dc or stepper motor.

Im about a week away from getting the system wet so, im hoping i will be able to keep the system running while i do the WC. It will all depend how much i can drain before i get a vortex created by the 2" circ pump inlet. If i cant get a good amount i will experiment with either shutting the circ pump off during the change or running the WC more frequent. Either way wont be a problem.

VR

Do you have the coding you used in your arduino mega? I would love to compare it to what I am planning to use if you are up for it.

Back