My nightmare continues. ID desperately needed. UPDATES!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9825246#post9825246 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randall_James
ya know.... chemiclean (for cyano) may work here. As cyano is bacterial (not sure if it is gram negative or gram positive) You could get lucky and they are both of the same nature. If it does not work , go with Myracyn 2.

Sort of a shot in the dark but hey who knows

Calcium precipitation is not slimy, it either goes directly to the glass *and that is a nightmare or it falls out of the water column to the floor of the tank

Thing you gotta be carefull with is wiping out your good bacteria, thats why you use much smaller dosages than recommended or you may wipe.

THANKS FOR THE REPLYS!!!! Keep em comming!

OK,

If your fish arent stressed see if you can wait it out.
My stonies and LPS were looking BAD I can always throw the fish into my FO 125, thats not a problem. Its the corals Im worried about. The massive water changes dilute the problem in the Water column.

Im of the opinion that its a bacterial bloom. I think so

Heres an idea. use a VERY SMALL (1/8th dosage ?)amount of marine anti bacterial drugs for fish.
I tried this in combination with lights out for 4 days, no change at all.
Are you dosing kalk? With all the water changes I havent dosed anything! just whatever comes out of the bucket.
chemiclean (for cyano) may work here
It may...Maybe that will be next.

go with Myracyn 2.
Is that reef safe?

UPDATE++++++++++++++++++++++++
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I transfered all corals back into the display and turned off my return pump to prevent the "substance" from being mixed into the water column. so far so good the corals look good and are opening.

I have super low flow in the tank to prevent surface agitation and Im begining to see what I think is the problem.
On all surfaces or the LR and tank there is what appears to be bubbles attached by clear strings being released int the wc. With the low flow, the bubbles and strings are flating to the top of the water and accumulating on the surface. I believe this to be the source. The question is , What is it?
I have 15lbs of fiji LR cooking in the living room. Nitrites are high. Once the nitrites die off Im going to make the switch. Im afraid I am going to contanimate the new LR wirt the old LR rubble that my corals are attached to. I would hate to have to break off every coral from its base to attach it to the LR:(

Do you think Maracyn2 and chemiclean are worth a shot?

bubbles.jpg

I would agree with the UV advice. Maybe, if you haven't done it yet, try using a polyfilter and new carbon. What is the thing that changed prior to the bloom, or, whatever it is? Think about it, something had to happen, maybe something very subtle.

A~

Hmmm maybe dinos.... wrap the tank in black trashbags to block out all light and leave it blacked out for 48hours "black bag trick"

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9828656#post9828656 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Randall_James
Hmmm maybe dinos.... wrap the tank in black trashbags to block out all light and leave it blacked out for 48hours "black bag trick"
Did that...Dinos would have wiped out my inverts. Ive had them before!! Also my fish and softys look wonderful.

Live rock =$70.00
Marycan = 15.00
chemiclean = 15.00

UV= 100.00

Man I LOVE this hobby!~~

LR change won't help. There is something in the wc... bacteria/cyano probably.

I would try chemi clean and a cyano remover.

UV will help too.

I've used maracyn and maracyn 2 in the past for cyano blooms. Havent had to in a while, but just curious. What antibacterial did you use ? These are the most prominent ones I can think of in the hobby and they work well.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9829150#post9829150 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Icefire
LR change won't help. There is something in the wc... bacteria/cyano probably.

I would try chemi clean and a cyano remover.

UV will help too.

Im going to give chemiclean a shot. If that dosent work, I will do a 100% LR and 100%wc. and soak all of my plumbing in hot water and bleach.

Most of your denitrifying bacteria is on the LR, it shouldnt be that big of a deal.

Havent had to in a while, but just curious. What antibacterial did you use ? B] Maracyn

I had an extremely similar occurance in my tank. After almost a week of sleepless nights, I found a failed powerhead w/ a frayed cord. A very small amount of stray current was entering the water. I didn't notice it when I would reach in the aquarium, but obviously my corals did. I immediately removed the pump and added a grounding probe just in case anything like it happens again. Two days later, everything began the trek back to normal. IMO, anything electrical in your tank needs a close examination. May not be your problem, but it was mine.

Back