My PH Has my attention...

RussC

Tell me a little more about my PH...

My tank PH has never been above 8 for the young life of my tank-two month old. But its been very consistent between 7.8 and 7.5. It fluctuates very consistently throughout the day, following the temperature. Yesterday, however, it did something I've never seen it do.

I've got an alarm set to go off if it drops below 7.5. This buzzed at 11:30. At this time during the day the tank is usually at its lowest ph in the day because my light cycle comes on at 10am every day. But yesterday I got an alarm at 3:30 pm that my PH had dropped below 7.5. It normally has increased by this time. so this was out of the norm. I'm not one for "out of the norm." It peaks my curiosity. It continued to drop, bottoming out at 7.4 at 6:15pm before it began increasing again, topping out at 7.5, which is normally my low.

I've not liked my PH level. I would prefer it to be averaging around 8. These parameters are based on the PH probe with the APEX. Usually when I read the PH with the RED Sea Marine Care test I do get a little higher number. But that still doesn't explain the unusual change in pattern yesterday.

I checked my parameters...very good. I just don't have enough in the tank to consume my Alk and Cal so I stay very consistent with my two week water change schedule. My alk is very consistent at 9, Cal 460, Mag 1600, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate = 0, Salinity avg 35, ORP at 375 and consistently climbing until I do another water change (But that's always done that), Temp avg 77.

I have noticed in one of my two frags of zoanthids, it seems to be losing polyps. The other frag is growing. And my leather, branched hammer coral and trumpet coral just humming along. Good news is, about three days ago my brown algae bloom started to die. Its just about gone. I do have some hair algae, but its minimal.

So my curiosity has me here today. Thoughts on why this happened? What, if anything caused it? I've been very curious about my PH.

If you live in a newer house they are pretty air tight and the CO2 levels go up. When I moved from an older apartment to a new house I had the same issues. Never seemed to bother anything so I just ignored it. Some people run a line for fresh outside air into the skimmer. Try leaving a window cracked near the aquarium and see if it stays higher that night. You could also run a refugium and run the lights when your display lights are off.

Crawler, its interesting you mention this. I've had this conversation with someone else. I have an "airtight" house. When I say its tight, its sealed. I used spray foam to insulate my home after Katrina in 2005. That stuff is awesome for home conditioning. But I have to crack a window to burn a fire in the fireplace. So my theory yesterday was we were home all day, inside, because it was storming. And I had as many as 12 folks in that house at one time at one point when my kids brought over a ton of friends. I thought it was a weird theory. But I considered it.

My tank (18 months) runs about the same ph as yours. It drives me nuts, but the SPS and everything seem happy. When I can open windows, I do. But living in Michigan, there's only so many days/weeks that having the windows open 24/7 is feasible.

We entertain, a lot. I see my ph drop when we have crowds over. I try to up my surface agitation and ensure the windows are open when having folks over.

I've considered a C02 scrubber, but researching shows little improvement for the majority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's really interesting, MrsReef. That supports my theory yesterday having all those kiddos in the same room with my tank.

I live in South MS. We are just now seeing "fall" weather. Perfect for running an "open window" experiment. I'll open a window and see just how my tank responds.

if you use a protein skimmer, run an air tube from outside to the skimmer and your Ph will rise. sealed homes will cause CO2 build ups. open windows and run an attic fan or some other means of bringing fresh air into the house

I do have a protein skimmer. I'm brainstorming how to get a tube outside. Gonna be tricky, real tricky. The tank is dead center of the house. I'm gonna have to think on this one. But I'm up for the challenge. Isn't that the whole idea of this hobby!

Reason is already known here so..
Just a FYI... many of the top tanks out there run sub 8 PH levels all the time...

If you want throw a CO2 scrubber on that skimmer but IMO unplug your PH probe and enjoy life with one less thing to worry about.. (I know thats really hard for you though :p )

Reason is already known here so..
Just a FYI... many of the top tanks out there run sub 8 PH levels all the time...

If you want throw a CO2 scrubber on that skimmer but IMO unplug your PH probe and enjoy life with one less thing to worry about.. (I know thats really hard for you though :p )

While I sort of agree, I don't think they run down to 7.5...

I'd question the accuracy of the measurement before I started any interventions, including unplugging the pH probe :)

While I sort of agree, I don't think they run down to 7.5...

I'd question the accuracy of the measurement before I started any interventions, including unplugging the pH probe :)

Sanjay has stated levels of 7.5-7.8 on average..

If you want throw a CO2 scrubber on that skimmer but IMO unplug your PH probe and enjoy life with one less thing to worry about.. (I know thats really hard for you though :p )[/QUOTE]

Yep, you have lost your mind! Not monitor something that I have the ability to monitor which gives me the ability to think about and the ability to otherwise distract me from enjoying the tank while trying to solve a problem, all the while draining my wallet of hard earned funds! Yep, you are crazy. :spin1:

This will be interesting, if nothing else. I'm gonna take advantage of our mild weather this week in South MS. This is our week of "fall weather". So I have to act fast.

I'm going to leave a window open a little in the same room and just see what happens.

I've had plenty of problems in my aquariums, but I can't say any have been caused by low pH. Nothing wrong with checking if the window opens helps, but I wouldn't go crazy trying to solve a problem that isn't really a problem.

Like you said you have had this conversation before and nothing has changed. The only way you can have ANY effect on ph is to change the tanks CO2 level. Asking the question again is not going to change the answer. Change the CO2 to change PH.
You can get a "short" term effect form adding Kalk to your top off but that is only short term and it will go back to where it wants to be.

Do you cover your tank and how big is your skimmer? If the skimmer accounts for the majority of the gas exchange (mainly the case for oversized skimmers in covered tanks), outside air tubing or CO2 scrubbers works great. Otherwise the improvements will be minor.

Update: I opened my window in the room with the aquarium just a slight bit at 12:15. In 3 hours I've seen a Spike in the PH on the graph. Only a 0.3 change in number, but the straightest spike I've seen on the graph to date. The access to fresh air made an obvious impact. I think my experiment has been a success. When I first had this conversation on here I really didn't give it a second thought.

I don't cover the tank. And I have a great skimmer. Its a Reef Octopus Regal 150ENT. It has plenty of capacity and has been working the best I've seen it to date. I think its "broken in" now. I like the idea or running a tube. Maybe another day. But for now, I believe I've answered my curiosity. IN the future if I'm expecting another crowd, I'll just crack open a window. Been interesting, if nothing else, to learn about this and how it works.

Update: I opened my window in the room with the aquarium just a slight bit at 12:15. In 3 hours I've seen a Spike in the PH on the graph. Only a 0.3 change in number, but the straightest spike I've seen on the graph to date. The access to fresh air made an obvious impact. I think my experiment has been a success. When I first had this conversation on here I really didn't give it a second thought.

I don't cover the tank. And I have a great skimmer. Its a Reef Octopus Regal 150ENT. It has plenty of capacity and has been working the best I've seen it to date. I think its "broken in" now. I like the idea or running a tube. Maybe another day. But for now, I believe I've answered my curiosity. IN the future if I'm expecting another crowd, I'll just crack open a window. Been interesting, if nothing else, to learn about this and how it works.

If tank is not covered, I am not sure how big of an effect you would see by running a tube. CO2 would still go into the water from the surface. Generally, the skimmer needs to be over sized for the tank (like if you use a skimmer rated for 200G on a 100G tank) for it to be able to counter the gas exchange happening on the surface.

Without doing some remodeling of your house to "aesthetically" run a tube, I would test it with a long tube on the floor :). Just crack the window slightly, put the end of the tube outside and seal the open section of the window with a duct tape. This way you would see if it helps with pH without going through all the trouble of remodeling.

Back