My Red Planet

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14151764#post14151764 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rebelehs
T...Also on the garf bonsai , you want it as high as you can to the light. It can handle the more intense light and will get dark purple
just my thoughts

In my research on the GARF Bonsai, it seems like half the people say it takes high light, put it up high, and it'll darken deep purple; but then the other half says it needs to be lower with less light to get deep dark purple...???!!!

I have mine about 20" under T5's, and it's colored up nicely from a brownish purple when I first got it, to a nice magenta purple in my tank. But it's still a tad more lighter than I would like, lighter than say my intense purple monster...

It sure would be nice to know if truly liked high light or not...!?

Right now it is about 14" from the light. It's been that high for about a month. One thing I did notice is that the more shaded part of the garf is a darker shade of purple. I'll give it a little while longer and if I don't like the color of it I'm going to rescape and place it lower in my tank.

love the Red Planet (and the rest) i got a RP frag about 3 weeks ago (1 in if that) cant wait for it to grow out. definitely my favorite SPS in my tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14158792#post14158792 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
In my research on the GARF Bonsai, it seems like half the people say it takes high light, put it up high, and it'll darken deep purple; but then the other half says it needs to be lower with less light to get deep dark purple...???!!!

I have mine about 20" under T5's, and it's colored up nicely from a brownish purple when I first got it, to a nice magenta purple in my tank. But it's still a tad more lighter than I would like, lighter than say my intense purple monster...

It sure would be nice to know if truly liked high light or not...!?

Mine is about 12 inches under a 400 watt Reeflux and its not dark at all.
IMG_2423.jpg

Im getting a red planet frag this week and im running 4x54watt T5s in my 72 bow. I have a blue mille about 10" under the bulbs and the colors are great... should i put the RP higher or lower than the millie? in other words, does it require more or less light than a blue millie to maintain that amazing color?

woah! A pink lemonade that actually looks like a pink lemonade and not green with brown polyps! You don't see those every day. :p

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14180853#post14180853 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fishieness
woah! A pink lemonade that actually looks like a pink lemonade and not green with brown polyps! You don't see those every day. :p

Thanks! It's started off darker green, as I raised it up the brighter green it got.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14180747#post14180747 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ghstrider
Im getting a red planet frag this week and im running 4x54watt T5s in my 72 bow. I have a blue mille about 10" under the bulbs and the colors are great... should i put the RP higher or lower than the millie? in other words, does it require more or less light than a blue millie to maintain that amazing color?

Mine is under 250MH 14K approx 13" (totall of 250Wx2, + 4x 110W VHO actinics) . It hasnt grown much but has encrusted the base big time. Hopefully it will start growing soon. On the other hand a pearlberry i got at the same time is growing very well a little lower in the tank, so who knows.

my red planet seems to love the light. i have it directly under a 250w DE, about 8 inches from the water surface. it's turning a bright pink/red and has encrusted on the rock about 1/4" in a little over a month. it seems to love high light and high current..... at least it does in my tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14193335#post14193335 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AquamanE
Mine is under 250MH 14K approx 13" (totall of 250Wx2, + 4x 110W VHO actinics) . It hasnt grown much but has encrusted the base big time. Hopefully it will start growing soon. On the other hand a pearlberry i got at the same time is growing very well a little lower in the tank, so who knows.

It might be the corals itself. Because I also have a Pearlberry that I got the same time and it is growing alot faster. Same placement in the tank.

where is my red planet located in my tank? its under one of my halides about 10 inches below the water surface. it could probably take more light, but its too anchored down where it is for me to move it now. it also seems to love a lot of current.

I would say to get the green it needs a little less light. In my experience with this acro if it has to much light it loses its green.

I had mine on the bottom of my 180 for about a month and this is after a couple weeks midway up

redplanet.jpg

Back