My rendition of 300

Awsome work on the sump and other acrylic! Really classy and makes me wish I had a laser! The etching possibility is what I'm missing. You can do a lot with traditional woodworking tools but clean work like that is hard to achieve without a laser.

Did you have any problems with getting clean cuts on the 1/2" material? I saw that you made multiple passes. I've just seen that process go badly with the acrylic heating up to much and not yielding a clean 90deg edge.

Also, what brand laser do you have? I think you mentioned but I forgot. I'm down the road from Epilog. Maybe I need to stop in their facility to see if they have any scratch and dent models or prototypes that didn't make it to market. :)

Wow Jimmy, That looks awesome. I like the way you crated so many slots, so you have ultimate adjustability for the baffles!

My pink Mille is still looking good this AM!

Wow, that sump is really nice! How did the seams end up for you? I'm guessing that with laser cuts you were able to get really nice edges and therefore seams with very few bubbles. I find that getting those super clean seams is the toughest part but I don't worry too much about it as long as there are no leaks! Did you use the 4 to wick into the seams and then put a bead of 16 into the corner as a "just in case" measure?

4 days is super fast for building that sump. I am impressed. It took me longer than that to build 12" cubes! :0)

Lots of good progress since I've been MIA.

It's funny how much work we get done when the boss is out of town.

So you say you have to drill the tank? Are you sure it's not tempered glass?
It's funny how that works, when my wife is here, I find lazy ways to pass the time, but when she's gone, i'm motivated to do work. hmm, psychologist would have a field day with that.
As for the glass being tempered, I'm pretty confident that it's not, it's rare to see 1/2" glass be tempered.... I'll know for sure when I start drilling....

Awsome work on the sump and other acrylic! Really classy and makes me wish I had a laser! The etching possibility is what I'm missing. You can do a lot with traditional woodworking tools but clean work like that is hard to achieve without a laser.

Did you have any problems with getting clean cuts on the 1/2" material? I saw that you made multiple passes. I've just seen that process go badly with the acrylic heating up to much and not yielding a clean 90deg edge.

Also, what brand laser do you have? I think you mentioned but I forgot. I'm down the road from Epilog. Maybe I need to stop in their facility to see if they have any scratch and dent models or prototypes that didn't make it to market. :)

Thanks for the kind words. The etcher is a Jcut-6090 C02 laser that I purchased from china roughly 3 years ago, I opted to have the 60w bulb replaced with an 80w. because I wanted to slice through 1/2 plexi. Right now it's having a hard time cutting through 3/8". I need to do some realigning of the mirrors to fix the problem, I haven't done any aligning since I moved here. Hopefully I don't need a new tube, if I do i'm going to go with the next size up.

I only used the laser to cut out shapes, all the square cut pieces were done with a tablesaw, cross cut sled and a 6" jointer

I wish i could've purchased an epilog, when i was in the market I lived in cheyenne, I was kept an eye out on the refurbished equipment there in Golden, but the good deals were snatched up right away. You had to be on loine the second it went up or you missed it, I concluded that you had to know someone in the company to get first dibs on those machines.

Wow Jimmy, That looks awesome. I like the way you crated so many slots, so you have ultimate adjustability for the baffles!

My pink Mille is still looking good this AM!

That was all your idea!!! after cutting and gluing all those acrylic pieces, I thought of a better way to make the baffles adjustable by incorporating magnets onto the baffles and moving them much like you would with a mag float for optimum compartment sizing... Oh well.... next time!!!!

Wow, that sump is really nice! How did the seams end up for you? I'm guessing that with laser cuts you were able to get really nice edges and therefore seams with very few bubbles. I find that getting those super clean seams is the toughest part but I don't worry too much about it as long as there are no leaks! Did you use the 4 to wick into the seams and then put a bead of 16 into the corner as a "just in case" measure?

4 days is super fast for building that sump. I am impressed. It took me longer than that to build 12" cubes! :0)
Thank You for the compliments. You guessed wrong, the seams have a lot of air bubbles, there's definitely an art to it, and the more you do it, the better you get at it. I, however am a novice at best, it holds water and looks good from 10 feet away but when you get up close, you can see all the imperfections. I can venture to guess that many sump companies use solid color acrylic in certain places to hide most seems.

And yes the 4 was used to wick the panels in place, most times that's all that was needed but other times it didn't go where I wanted it to or the flow stopped and air was trapped. But as you said, air bubbles are not that big a deal for a sump. After the seam cured with the 4 then I used the 16 much like you would caulk, I ran a bead all the way around to reinforce the seam.

The method that I learned so long ago (and didn't use) was to use acupuncture needles as spacers, the gap was small enough that 4 would still wick and create an airless layer of weldon, let is sit for a bit to allow the acrylic to become soft and then remove the needles one by one allowing the weight of the panel to push the liquefied acrylic out. Maybe next time I will do it that way.

I braved the heat this afternoon and checked the alignment of the mirrors and tube, come to find out the mirrors were fine but the tube was way off!!! after a bunch of adjustments, the laser is cutting through 3/8" in 5 passes....as opposed to probably 50+ passes the other day...

and the laser itself is so much brighter!!!

CJxQMjkl.jpg

g08Lz2Fl.jpg

WzGuOLUl.jpg

the cut is perpendicular as well, so now the real test, I will cut out a removable baffle.... fingers crossed!!!!

Great work, and thanks for documenting the process the way you are, makes for a great read.
Keep it up, more....more....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Wow, that is cool!

Those seam bubbles are super tough to eliminate but I will not matter. The sump looks terrific. And it is certainly custom!

yea, seems like when the wife is out of town, I get more work done on my truck than when she's home, even though she doesn't come out to the garage and bug me.

Good luck on drilling the glass. Fingers crossed that it's not tempered. Go slow just in case it is.

I might have to hire you out to do some laser etching on acrylic panels for my truck some day if I ever get that far along.

Speaking of which, we should be up in Tonopah Aug 16 for the race so mark you calendar if you want to come up. be sure and let me know and I'll see if I can get you on our room list.

Great work, and thanks for documenting the process the way you are, makes for a great read.
Keep it up, more....more....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you very much, I hope to keep the updates coming, seems as late, I've been pulled in all sorts of directions preventing me from doing what I want to do.

Wow, that is cool!

Those seam bubbles are super tough to eliminate but I will not matter. The sump looks terrific. And it is certainly custom!

The more I do it the better I seem to be getting at it, I used needles this time and boy did it make for easy bubbless seams.

spacing with the needles (I believe they're 25g, the thinnest that walgreens had)
cOC66gQl.jpg

Weldon into the gaps
9d9w3K5l.jpg

after about 45-60 seconds I removed the needles and clamped the joint, It oozed acrylic out on both sides
7S31wUkl.jpg

Even on the long 72" run, I had more time to clamp and no bubbles
oZTW1wel.jpg

yea, seems like when the wife is out of town, I get more work done on my truck than when she's home, even though she doesn't come out to the garage and bug me.

Good luck on drilling the glass. Fingers crossed that it's not tempered. Go slow just in case it is.

I might have to hire you out to do some laser etching on acrylic panels for my truck some day if I ever get that far along.

Speaking of which, we should be up in Tonopah Aug 16 for the race so mark you calendar if you want to come up. be sure and let me know and I'll see if I can get you on our room list.
Well, drilling went pretty easy, even though this was the first time cutting on a vertical surface, I had a spray bottle in one hand and the drill in the other

four plugs
EkDJeBwl.jpg

and 4 holes
5Uwaoq4l.jpg

You'll have to keep me posted and when the event gets closer send me a text so that I can plan for it, It would be cool to see what does on behind the scenes.

Besides plumbing what else do you have to do?

After plumbing, I can do the aquascape then start filling with water to get the cycle started. while that's taking place I will be making the light rack and getting those new gen4 pro radions on line... I'll have to start a new list for the next phase.... ahh! it's never ending... I long for the days that I can sit and look at my slice of the reef.

I've been poking around on the Bean Animal thread, reading up on new innovative ways that hobbyist have incorporated his design and I really like the ghost weir design, having a small coast to coast footprint inside the tank and have a box outside to channel the water down through the fail safe system to the sump. Seeing that you can't find the ghost weir longer than 2 feet unless you special order, I took it upon myself to make my own.

Here's the inside coast to coast, it measures 72"x2"x6.5", I made the back panel clear so that I can see if any critters are in the overflow
f16bYJOl.jpg

I had to put the bulkheads inside before gluing the pieces together
gOdBGNOl.jpg

0XJkKg0l.jpg

Then I made the outside box out of clear it needs to have 1.5" bulkheads coming out of the bottom so it had to be a bit wider, it's 72"x5"x7.5"

8Bx2cRIl.jpg

JEi2aKMl.jpg

Now I need to climb in the tank to line up the inside while someone screws it all together from the outside...

1. Build and paint the platform under the tank for the sump DONE
2. Cut out the acrylic for the ghost overflow DONE
3. Glue the overflow DONE
4. Drill holes in the tank for the overflow DONE
5. Drill holes in the tank for the returns
6. Cut and glue all the plumbing for the drain and return

Last edited:
Looks great Jimmy. Let me know if you need some help.

I know that I always say that I'm going to call you when I need help, but I'm a "right now" kind of guy, if you have to plan something, then you're not being efficient with your time!!! You would literally have to be here waiting in the wings ready to help hehe. Today for instance, I needed help securing the ghost overflow to the tank, I had to enlist my wife for help. I climbed in the tank to line up the bulkheads that are in the weir with the holes drilled in the tank, all the while my wife stood on a ladder outside the tank trying to line up the 4 holes on the outer piece. That took some trial ad error and it would've been comical if someone was recording us and that proverbial football, if you get the reference. We persevered and eventually got it.

s3yu3FSl.jpg

I filled it with water to make sure that the seals held water
JJwv0ktl.jpg

gCZVyf6l.jpg

I should've mention that my wife works from home and it takes a lot to pull her away from the office to come down to help me. Roughly an hour after the ghost overflow was installed the black window tint came in and instead of getting frustrated and work around the ghost overflow, I decided to take it back down. I had to pull my wife from her work yet again to help!!! I thought that she was going to be upset, but she said that it would be more work to try to fit the tint with it on there. So we pulled it back down.

The tint went on really easy, I'm not sure if I like it yet, it definitely blocks the view enough that when the lights are off in the equipment room you can't make out much, you would have to consciously be trying to see through it, which is what I wanted. From around the back side looking in the tank I can definitely see inside, so it might work out, once I get the lights up and running, I will have a better idea.

Good news, the second time attaching the overflow went much quicker, it took no time at all.

Now the plumbing... WOOHOO!!
dcGkdg4l.jpg

5QhZTtfl.jpg

VryAJoal.jpg

o3xU03Ml.jpg

dRmBU05l.jpg

From left to right is the open channel, emergency standpipe and the full siphon. Open channel will drain into the left filter sock terminating under the water, the full siphon will drain in the right filter sock terminating underwater as well. I still have to laser a hole in the filter sock holder to run the emergency line through a uniseal (which will be here Friday) and I will know how big to cut the hole. I probably have to do some reconfiguring of the open channel, I think it needs to be a little higher so that the full siphon has time to purge itself at start up. I should be able to do all that once the tank is running.

Tomorrow I will be plumbing the return lines and after that happens, I can start filling the tank with RODI water.... getting closer!!!!

Thanks for sticking by while I wade through all this work!!!!

So the overflows are entering the sump directly into the filter socks?
Yes sir, until you pointed that out, I forgot about what my plans were to make filter changes easy, it completely skipped my mind!!! It's a convenience factor that I overlooked. I was going to have a section to the right of the filter sock chamber that allowed the drain pipes to terminate under the water. What you see in the pictures are how I had my last tank setup (that must have been a cruise control day of planing).

Yes sir, until you pointed that out, I forgot about what my plans were to make filter changes easy, it completely skipped my mind!!! It's a convenience factor that I overlooked. I was going to have a section to the right of the filter sock chamber that allowed the drain pipes to terminate under the water. What you see in the pictures are how I had my last tank setup (that must have been a cruise control day of planing).

Having that section to the side of the sock holders is extremely nice. It makes the sock more efficient and easier to change. But it also helps to reduce or eliminate bubbles in the sump and display.

Having that section to the side of the sock holders is extremely nice. It makes the sock more efficient and easier to change. But it also helps to reduce or eliminate bubbles in the sump and display.

Yeah, if in the future this proves to be a problem I can add a stand alone tank that can "hang on" to the right of the filter sock section and pour in just like it should have inn the beginning.

Since I re-aligned my laser it has been slicing through acrylic like butter. The filter sock cover is layered with 1/4" black, 3/8" clear and another 1/4" black, that's 7/8" thick piece that it had to cut through to make this hole for the uniseal.

QZkAmJIl.jpg

3q9Srojl.jpg

Re61CHll.jpg

And just like that:

1. Build and paint the platform under the tank for the sump DONE
2. Cut out the acrylic for the ghost overflow DONE
3. Glue the overflow DONE
4. Drill holes in the tank for the overflow DONE
5. Drill holes in the tank for the returns DONE
6. Cut and glue all the plumbing for the drain and return DONE

Gb09Uh4l.jpg

I mapped out the inside of the tank foot print

xlIrrxdl.jpg

Since yesterday evening this is what my living room looks like:

j7Q2HsFl.jpg

I had ever intention to work on it today but we had a family day, when I got back home this evening, this is what I walked in on, hopefully tomorrow we will make progress on aquascaping.

Bill was kind enough to give me his extra bucket of E-Marco 400, It's not enough to complete the task. Last thursday, I put in an order for another bucket. In the back of my mind I thought of this as a drug dealer giving me the first one for free!!! Now that I need more.....

lhyw880l.jpg

As of right now the plan is to make 3 islands in the tank, leaving plenty of open space for fish and coral grow out, but who knows what type of inspiration I will get along the way. Hopefully by days end tomorrow I will make some progress and get at least 1 island in the tank.

Nice thread, good read :) On your overflow / return on the Bean Animal. Are the returns actually under water? I believe they should be. At least that is how I interpreted and installed mine. The design works great and your wide weir is actually the correct way to do it. It is called coast to coast for a reason :) That and smooth. Of course on my tank I couldn't do that so I have slotted for now and a not so wide overflow due to a peninsula style tank.

Thanks for sharing - lot of good stuff here!

Back