My spring break experiment

Hmm...what do you mean by bleed? I just painted a total of 3 coats. Do you think I can still seal it with polyurethane? As soon as I get pics uploaded I'll post them here. I have an awesome "ghetto" reflector ;)

you could have let go a little bit and waited... slept... party.... whale watch..... feed your fish.....

but hey thats cool! next time you drill holes i reccomend you draw a grid on there and drill them out that way. then you would have an even spread of holes. keep up with the project, i am interested in this!
good luck (dont forget to sleep)

I drew a grid with a silver permanent marker (can't see it now). The grid was square inches. I had to fit 8 LEDs per sq inch, so if you do the math that doesn't come out evenly. On top of that I had to worry about the width of the LEDs and trying to prevent the checkerboard effect. My MJ400 came today...forgot to tell you that earlier.

Here are the updated pics for tonight:
blackback.jpg

paintedwhole.jpg

(sorry about the fingerprints)

reflector.jpg

reflectorflash.jpg

I don't know if you can tell by the pics, but this stuff REALLY reflects. I have an LED flashlight that I used to test its reflectiveness, and I think it'll work great. Kinda ghetto I know, but whatever works, right? The reflector stuff is waterproofing tape used in roofing I believe. I just went to the paint section of Wal Mart and this stuff caught my eye. I'm going to polyurethane over it, but it's supposed to be waterproof.

WOW looking good! Really excited to see how it turns out. With LED's being so focused I wouldn't think you would need any refletor at all, but it sure couldn't hurt.

Today's progress:
I polyurethaned the hood and back of the tank. Not much more progress can happen until the LEDs get here!

Houston, we have updates!

Houston, we have updates!

I got quite a bit done today! I went shopping at CPE and Gateway (my first visit) and got a bunch of cool new stuff, and I got my rock wall finished! I finally found some eggcrate at Lowes. Here's my wall:
fulltankshot.jpg

(sorry about the fingerprints)

rockwall1.jpg

rockwall2.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing about the remaining exposed eggcrate. I might leave it and hope that it gets covered in coralline or I might cover it with something.

While I'm at it, here's my new zoo frag that I got from Gateway:
zoofrag.jpg

It was nice meeting you Letmegrow! :)

And a FTS of my 24 gallon NC DX:
fulltank24g.jpg

My blue LEDs came today too! I was complaining to Letmegrow about the slowness of the LED companies and when I got home they were waiting for me. The white LEDs won't be here for a while, so I can't start wiring, but at least they're here! Once the sillicon dries I'm going to put water in the tank along with my live rock and sand...I'm ready to get this party started!

Today's update:

I put a few more tiny pieces of rock in places where the eggcrate was exposed and put a little more silicon in places where the rock was loose. My sand came today too. Tomorrow, after the silicon has a chance to dry, I'll put the sand in and live rock and officially start the tank :)

I don't know if this is such a good idea, but here's my running total so far:

500 13000mcd 5mm White LEDs = $60.00
150 x New BLUE 5mm 6000mcd LED LAMP Super Bright LEDS = $14.88
Estes Black Sand 5 lb bag = $12.00
Marineland Maxi-jet 400 Submersible Pump/Powerhead = $19.15
2.5 Gallon glass aquarium = ~$10.00
Eggcrate = ~$11.00
Live rock = ~ $20.00
Silicon = ~$5.00
Running Total: $152.03

A lot of you guys that are thinking about doing this could probably shave some of the cost by using your own live rock, sand, and eggcrate along with whatever else you already have lying around.

Here's what I'm going to add before I'm finished:
-neon goby
-2 snails
-2 hermits
-monti digis and monti caps (already bought one digi, orange with pink polyps - $40)
-maybe a clam? I don't know if I'm going to do that or not, it just depends on what I think the tank and I can handle

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I just put a layer of black sand in my pico tank and I have half the bag left - will cover another 2.5 gallon tank as long as you don't want a DSB (3"+). I'd be willing to give it to someone if they wanted it, or if they had a tiny monti frag to trade that'd be cool too. None of my tanks (with the exception of this one) have black sand, so I can't just dump it elsewhere. You can PM me if you're interested.

The tank is now filled with WATER

Here are some pics!!! :D

MJcorner.jpg

setupshot.jpg

tankwatercloseup.jpg

I don't know if you can tell by the pics, but there's a decent amount of flow going on in the tank :)

Nope, the white LEDs haven't even arrived from Hong Kong yet. The light I have on there now is just a regular desk lamp. I figured that I should have some light on the tank in case there's anything that needs light on my one small piece of LR.

Wow, you still haven't gotten the LEDs yet? It's been over a week sice the last post. Hong Kong must have really slow shipping.

Glad you reminded me to update Vishboy!

Glad you reminded me to update Vishboy!

My LEDS are here! All 500 million of them! :lol:

Blue (100 per bag, 2 bags)

blueleds.jpg

White (500)

whiteleds.jpg

I was curious how things fit since I didn't have the LEDs when I drilled the holes (I guessed at the drill bit size), so I tried placing a few LEDs in the holes in my acrylic. They fit PERFECTLY! Some people that have tried this before have siliconed the LEDs into place. I may or may not have to do that, we'll see.

ledsinacrylic.jpg

The LEDs will be placed in a ratio of 3:1 white to blue to hopefully get the desired color spectrum. Here's a quote from someone on another forum that has LED lighting. They said the following: "Good polyp extension by the LPS & SPS alike"

If I'm lucky I'll get the LEDs into the acrylic today. If I succeed I'll update again :)

I would sugges using a hot glue gun to get the LED's in place. That is what I used and they work great. Just an idea though.

I was thinking about that but I think that the LEDs are way too close together for that. Do you have an LED lit tank?

carinyasledreef.jpg

There's a picture of Carinya's tank over on nano-reef. She's the one that was commenting about good polyp extension.

Back