my tank has turned red

firstsalt

i just got new lights and nothing is going right i left for a day and when i got back the entire tank had turned red with some sort of algae my corals aren't opening nothing is going right

the glass and some substrate and most rocks there are bubbles getting caught in it sorry not the water if i confused u guys

If it's on the substrate than its cyano-bacteria. poor light and substandard water flow promote cyano. What type of lights did you get? You didn't skimp on new lights did you?

We need your water parameters to help. My guess is that both nitrates and phosphates are up. A series of water changes are in order. Syphon out as much of the cyno as you can. Slow and steady wins the race.

well im in trouble here cause i just finished off my lat test kit before i left and haven't had time to get a new one

I'd go with water changes and get new tests kits, cut back a bit on feeding, cut back on the lighting time. Take a turkey baster to the rock before you start the water change and try and suck out as much of the cyno as you can. A 20% water change at the same temp and salinity would be a good start.

ok thanks and what would u recommend for water cause i usually use tap that i let sit for a day or more

firstsalt,

I'm sure others will chime in, but you need to consider getting a RO/DI filter and not use tap. Do you know the TDS of your tap water? It may be that your excess nutrients are coming from there. A LFS should be able to sell you RO/DI until you can get a filter.

Patience and good habits will cure this problem.

Back