My Tank Thread (Take3) ★Total AUTOMATION★ DIY Doser, Sump, AlgaeScrubber, WaterChnges

Attachments

• IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 0
my pics did not go in. How do you do that?

I can see your PICS. However you are attaching them. It does work that way.

If you want to show your pic directly, then you need to post them on a hosting site like FLICR (which is free to a 2000 Photos). Once you post on Flickr you can just like the Photo to a Thread Post.

So you Apex Mounting box looks good. I do appreciate that you are using spare wood (which is what I do). We need to be more Eco Friendly these days for the Environment.

Obviously your cabinet will look more complete once the Apex components are mounted and you make holes for cables etc.

Do you plan on painting your cabinet?

I can see your PICS. However you are attaching them. It does work that way.

If you want to show your pic directly, then you need to post them on a hosting site like FLICR (which is free to a 2000 Photos). Once you post on Flickr you can just like the Photo to a Thread Post.

So you Apex Mounting box looks good. I do appreciate that you are using spare wood (which is what I do). We need to be more Eco Friendly these days for the Environment.

Obviously your cabinet will look more complete once the Apex components are mounted and you make holes for cables etc.

Do you plan on painting your cabinet?

So that's how you put pics in there instead of the the way I did it. I thought I was missing something, and indeed I do.

Thanks Wally for the complements. I though no one will catch me using repurposed wood. :wave:

If you look closely to the last 3 pics, there are "slits" in the wood box. They are actually my cable "holes". These "slits" are cut by having mounting templates sheets taped to the box (green background pic) and cut along its guidelines. The last 2 pics are the cut box surface.

As we speak, the box was finished some four weeks ago and just properly mounted inside my Read Sea Cabinet all the way pushed to the back leaving space up front for storage. An Amazon Echo is used to take advantage of voice command.

Here are the finished product. (I forgot take any pics of it before mounting it)

Attachments

• IMG_1788.jpg
    IMG_1788.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3
My DOS does not fit in the cabinet. It's also a challenge to route the tubing out without drilling my cabinet. Besides, it's logistically not feasible inside the cabinet. I wind up mounting it under my other combined 55g Tank's steel frame just above my chiller where I also put my sump. It works out. That part is still a work in progress. I will show pics at a later point. The steel frame's front will be covered with a removable black plastic panel to hide my sump and chiller as well as shielding off the reverse on Chaeto light at night.

:wave:

My DOS does not fit in the cabinet. It's also a challenge to route the tubing out without drilling my cabinet. Besides, it's logistically not feasible inside the cabinet. I wind up mounting it under my other combined 55g Tank's steel frame just above my chiller where I also put my sump. It works out. That part is still a work in progress. I will show pics at a later point. The steel frame's front will be covered with a removable black plastic panel to hide my sump and chiller as well as shielding off the reverse on Chaeto light at night.

Strange. I never got a notice that you posted.
So did you get your project finished. Issues solved?

Strange. I never got a notice that you posted.
So did you get your project finished. Issues solved?

Hi wally. So far everything is running well along the combined tanks thru one sump. As shown before, the Apex mount is finished and installed as shown in the picture. I have completed a very simple Tank frame cover last week for my 55g to cover the exposed sump area, but have not taken a picture of it yet.

Here is a few of pictures of the sump area under the 55g tank. Its still a mess. White Tube with color labels is used to hide and route DOS tubing for AWC.

Close up picture above sump is showing tubing of return pump output passing thru chiller first, then splitting into 3, 2 to 2 separate tanks, while the third supplies the DIY Algae Scrubber on the left.

I still not put my new DIY Overflow Box into commission yet.

What missing from picture is sump area cover. Just imagine a black plastic panel with wooded rim (in all black) hinging all that you see in the picture.

P.S. cloudy DT due to supplement addition to water. :)

IMG_1804.jpg

IMG_1809.jpg

IMG_1819.jpg

Good to hear that you've been busy.
Great Progress.
Looks very tidy and Clean.

I see a hint of your Display Tank in the Photo. What's it look like and what corals do you have?

I too had two tanks to One Sump years ago. Positive is bigger water volume less maintenance, shared nutrients, one water change.
Downside, is if something goes wrong (both tank affected), but that really never happened to me.
I can't do that without a major complex plumbing job, and almost impossible with height of tanks, sump.

As far as where I'm at now....
I actually did some cleaning myself and tidied up the SPS Tank. Starting another Batch of Frags. Destroyed most of the last New Frags. Weird the Vetran Frag (Originals are still alive. Must be aclimatized to abuse,or bad supplier)

The DIY ALk Monitor I'm building is almost done.

Got sick of waiting for a Neptune Trident, so made a better than Neptune Trident (Just Alk monitoring, but I dose ESV two part, so Alk is all I need), and It will monitor all 3 of my TANKS (one Controller).
OOPS I never mentioned (much about the Alk Monitor) . Last update I had was the DIY Water Changer. That's been running perfectly.

Last edited:
Good to hear that you've been busy.
Great Progress.
Looks very tidy and Clean.

I see a hint of your Display Tank in the Photo. What's it look like and what corals do you have?

I too had two tanks to One Sump years ago. Positive is bigger water volume less maintenance, shared nutrients, one water change.
Downside, is if something goes wrong (both tank affected), but that really never happened to me.
I can't do that without a major complex plumbing job, and almost impossible with height of tanks, sump.

As far as where I'm at now....
I actually did some cleaning myself and tidied up the SPS Tank. Starting another Batch of Frags. Destroyed most of the last New Frags. Weird the Vetran Frag (Originals are still alive. Must be aclimatized to abuse,or bad supplier)

The DIY ALk Monitor I'm building is almost done.

Got sick of waiting for a Neptune Trident, so made a better than Neptune Trident (Just Alk monitoring, but I dose ESV two part, so Alk is all I need), and It will monitor all 3 of my TANKS (one Controller).
OOPS I never mentioned (much about the Alk Monitor) . Last update I had was the DIY Water Changer. That's been running perfectly.

Hi wally,

What's it look like and what corals do you have?

Well what you see there in that 55g tank are only Metallic Neon Green Hammers. Towards the left site are about 5 mid size Green/Purple Frog Spawns. Toward the right its "I have no clue what it's called" coral that was a one pollyp hitchhiker on something I bought years ago that grew into a huge chunk that's about a 1'x1' section of that coral.

The Hammers was on frag that had about 8 pollyps about 5 years ago and grew into all of that. So to speak, most all I have are things that did not die after a lot of the stuff I bought. Gave up buying at one point since everything I bought did not survive. What remained exploded in growth, and that's what I have.

These things are about 2/3 of all the same coral in my other tank.

In my 35g I have the same stuff, and leather corals, Mushrooms, one acan frag, a some other stuff.

Reason I put my 55g into commission again (used to be a fowlr tank that crashed) is because of the grow and running out of space. The corals were diying due to crowding. Technically that tanks looks really like a mess. There is no aestethics involved now until I have to time to work on it. As you noticed, progress was really slow just to have to tank set up the way I have them now.

I will pose some pics when I have them.

You said: " Destroyed most of the last New Frags" You mean you just wnet ahead and killed off your frags as a clean up process???

You mad a trident??? I wonder if you would be willing to share with me the technology you build. I am sick and tired of buying over priced but good Apex stuff.

Hi wally,

What's it look like and what corals do you have?

Well what you see there in that 55g tank are only Metallic Neon Green Hammers. Towards the left site are about 5 mid size Green/Purple Frog Spawns. Toward the right its "I have no clue what it's called" coral that was a one pollyp hitchhiker on something I bought years ago that grew into a huge chunk that's about a 1'x1' section of that coral.

The Hammers was on frag that had about 8 pollyps about 5 years ago and grew into all of that. So to speak, most all I have are things that did not die after a lot of the stuff I bought. Gave up buying at one point since everything I bought did not survive. What remained exploded in growth, and that's what I have.

These things are about 2/3 of all the same coral in my other tank.

In my 35g I have the same stuff, and leather corals, Mushrooms, one acan frag, a some other stuff.

Reason I put my 55g into commission again (used to be a fowlr tank that crashed) is because of the grow and running out of space. The corals were diying due to crowding. Technically that tanks looks really like a mess. There is no aestethics involved now until I have to time to work on it. As you noticed, progress was really slow just to have to tank set up the way I have them now.

I will pose some pics when I have them.

You said: " Destroyed most of the last New Frags" You mean you just wnet ahead and killed off your frags as a clean up process???

You mad a trident??? I wonder if you would be willing to share with me the technology you build. I am sick and tired of buying over priced but good Apex stuff.
So you have two tanks. 55G is close to what I started with in my Basement In-Wall Office. Was a 65 Gal.

I found it bit tight for Rocks, Coral Placement and getting good Flow.
But It was easy to maintain, and I miss the 65 over the 110 I have (Hard to reach into it).

I didn't destroy my Frags purpose. They self destructed themselves. I just helped by messing around (instability, over feeding, Additives). And in general I get into very good grow/Colors for a few months. Get busy/distracted and things slip. SPS are unforgiving.
I did remove the damaged frags. About 5. Kept the good ones. Brown now, but alive, and hoping to bring live back into them. Color too.

I didn't make a Trident, I made something better.

At least (better) for my specific needs. 3 Tanks for one.
Even if I wanted to replace my two older Apex Controllers, I couldn't/won't spend to buy 3 Tridents.

I looked at other controllers. Probe Calibration, Replacements, etc.

I actually like my Apex Controllers. The Old Ones appear to be more reliable then the new Plastic and Cheaper parts. Metal Apex Jr, EB8's.
I have the Apex PH Probes, use the 0-10 Volt to Control my Gyre with a Icecap module. I use the I/O breakout input for all kind of things.
Why replace something that has done the job for over a decade.

I don't need Mag/Calcium Monitoring since I dose ESV two Part. If Alk is good, Mag/Calcium is Balanced Dead on.

About 3 months ago I decided to build my own ALK Monitor.
Thought it might be a crazy idea, but it grew, and grew, and evolved.
Biggest DIY project Ever!!

In Past, I made a TANK MATE (Advanced Doser), (3 Tank Water Changer,) a (Maintenance Minder) and (Auto Top ups). So I built up some good code.

48838227563_1c810c3d27_c.jpg

I call all my DIY projects (Tank Mate), it's kind of a product line.

This one is called TANK MATE (AquaMon Lab+), Aqua=Water, Mon=Monitor.

Hardware is finished. Fine tuning the Aesthetic Programming.

49017095337_c462a71022_b.jpg

Above is A Sneak Peek of the one of the Most Advanced Standalone, DIY Alk Monitor Controllers ever made.
For now Alk, but the Lab is designed for other possible measurements (Phosphate next on my wish list)

-> Standalone, Web Based, Internet accessible , Dual Controller, 3 Displays, 1 Touch Screen.
-> It works 100% (tested). 3 Tanks. ( Accuracy 0.1 dKh ). A-La Carte Scheduled Monitoring.
-> Very Reasonable Cost Single Regent. No probes to calibrate/replace. Self Cleaning. No distance limit.
-> Uses some clever tricks, Robotics, and AI Computer Vision. (A dozen Computer Languages, on 2 Operating Systems)
-> Even integrates with Apex Fusion (if you wish) for additional Integration/Control

ECO FRIENDLY: Made from Mostly Spare Electronics I had lying around, INCLUDING a Broken All in one HP Printer for the Housing (a ton of parts inside. Re-used).

When I finished up the Fine Touch Programming (ie Graphs, Doser Control, Custom Configs, Lighting, ALERTS, etc)...

I'll post a DEMO Video. It's fun to watch it run, and quite the show (since it moves, whirls, and I added LEDS all over the place for Effects).

I do plan on getting more involved in Running a Tank Thread here on Reef Central. I may actually switch over 100%.
I grew up on ReefCentral. Like the community More. Difted off for bit, but after a feel for the other forum, want to come back here.

However I've been posting till now everything here.

h t t p s://www.r e e f 2 r e e f.com/threads/%E2%98%85-110-gallon-in-wall-office-dream-sps-reef-tank-%E2%98%85-project-genesis-total-automation-diy-more-%E2%98%85.395704/

Just copy the URL above.... remove the spaces from "h t t p s" and "r e e f 2 r e e f" and put that URL into your WEB browser.

They don't allow to point any urls to their competition.

So you have two tanks. 55G is close to what I started with in my Basement In-Wall Office. Was a 65 Gal.

I found it bit tight for Rocks, Coral Placement and getting good Flow.
But It was easy to maintain, and I miss the 65 over the 110 I have (Hard to reach into it).

I didn't destroy my Frags purpose. They self destructed themselves. I just helped by messing around (instability, over feeding, Additives). And in general I get into very good grow/Colors for a few months. Get busy/distracted and things slip. SPS are unforgiving.
I did remove the damaged frags. About 5. Kept the good ones. Brown now, but alive, and hoping to bring live back into them. Color too.

I didn't make a Trident, I made something better.

At least (better) for my specific needs. 3 Tanks for one.
Even if I wanted to replace my two older Apex Controllers, I couldn't/won't spend to buy 3 Tridents.

I looked at other controllers. Probe Calibration, Replacements, etc.

I actually like my Apex Controllers. The Old Ones appear to be more reliable then the new Plastic and Cheaper parts. Metal Apex Jr, EB8's.
I have the Apex PH Probes, use the 0-10 Volt to Control my Gyre with a Icecap module. I use the I/O breakout input for all kind of things.
Why replace something that has done the job for over a decade.

I don't need Mag/Calcium Monitoring since I dose ESV two Part. If Alk is good, Mag/Calcium is Balanced Dead on.

About 3 months ago I decided to build my own ALK Monitor.
Thought it might be a crazy idea, but it grew, and grew, and evolved.
Biggest DIY project Ever!!

In Past, I made a TANK MATE (Advanced Doser), (3 Tank Water Changer,) a (Maintenance Minder) and (Auto Top ups). So I built up some good code.

48838227563_1c810c3d27_c.jpg

I call all my DIY projects (Tank Mate), it's kind of a product line.

This one is called TANK MATE (AquaMon Lab+), Aqua=Water, Mon=Monitor.

Hardware is finished. Fine tuning the Aesthetic Programming.

49017095337_c462a71022_b.jpg

Above is A Sneak Peek of the one of the Most Advanced Standalone, DIY Alk Monitor Controllers ever made.
For now Alk, but the Lab is designed for other possible measurements (Phosphate next on my wish list)

-> Standalone, Web Based, Internet accessible , Dual Controller, 3 Displays, 1 Touch Screen.
-> It works 100% (tested). 3 Tanks. ( Accuracy 0.1 dKh ). A-La Carte Scheduled Monitoring.
-> Very Reasonable Cost Single Regent. No probes to calibrate/replace. Self Cleaning. No distance limit.
-> Uses some clever tricks, Robotics, and AI Computer Vision. (A dozen Computer Languages, on 2 Operating Systems)
-> Even integrates with Apex Fusion (if you wish) for additional Integration/Control

ECO FRIENDLY: Made from Mostly Spare Electronics I had lying around, INCLUDING a Broken All in one HP Printer for the Housing (a ton of parts inside. Re-used).

When I finished up the Fine Touch Programming (ie Graphs, Doser Control, Custom Configs, Lighting, ALERTS, etc)...

I'll post a DEMO Video. It's fun to watch it run, and quite the show (since it moves, whirls, and I added LEDS all over the place for Effects).

Very impressive Wally.. I can't wait for you to post that video demonstrating your device. Maybe even have one thread introducing all the Tank Mates you have invented so far. You should be getting patents for you inventions and start selling them. The ways you recycle toss away products is very impressive.

I remember you said that you are a programmer. May I asked what programming languages you use for all you projects? And what are the hardware "brains" behind all of your inventions? Are they based on some short of traditional computer? Or some short of Raspberry Pies or the likes?

My dad keeps his Koi(s) in above ground big fiberglass/plastic tubs instead of an underground small pond ever since we moved. It tends to leak and he can't fix the problem no matter what we do, even replacing the tubs. The only salvation to it is run a timer to refill it blindly, which causes a lot of overfilling and associated mess, since water loss is unpredictable due to leaks and evaporation. I always wish I can make something that will alert him when water level is dangerously low, but I am not a programmer. (I am trying really hard to learn Java. Programming is something I always wanted to know but without much success due to time constraints and life).

Buying an Apex does not serve the purpose since that is the only function needed. Besides, the pumps and equipments involved are beyond what Apex can handle due to higher amps and voltages compared to indoor equipments.

Any advice you can offer me where to start so that I may be able to do some of what you can do "some day"?

I do plan on getting more involved in Running a Tank Thread here on Reef Central. I may actually switch over 100%.
I grew up on ReefCentral. Like the community More. Difted off for bit, but after a feel for the other forum, want to come back here.

However I've been posting till now everything here.

h t t p s://www.r e e f 2 r e e f.com/threads/%E2%98%85-110-gallon-in-wall-office-dream-sps-reef-tank-%E2%98%85-project-genesis-total-automation-diy-more-%E2%98%85.395704/

Just copy the URL above.... remove the spaces from "h t t p s" and "r e e f 2 r e e f" and put that URL into your WEB browser.

They don't allow to point any urls to their competition.

The 2 tanks thing. 55g is really tight and not designed for reefing. It's actually already filled to capacity after I put in my stuff. No room to work with as you described earlier.

Bought a 75g Aqueon 3/8" glass (same width and height but deeper) and returned it after noticing the silicone seams are splitting apart when water was filled in for the first time. I freaked out when I saw what was happening with thoughts of 75g of salt water on the living room floor! (Strange thing I notice is even my current 55G with 1/2" glass "buckles" when filled. I notice this after recently making a snug fitting egg crate partial cover to fit on the top. After water is filled, it's no longer snug fitting and has a gap of more than 1/2 centimeter at one tank corner between the tanks top rim and its snug fitting egg crate.)

(The current 55g was going to be turned into a all inclusive sump, fuge, ATO and water change reservoir. Plans got derailed and all ambitions was lost)

the 2 tanks thing. 55g is really tight and not designed for reefing. It's actually already filled to capacity after i put in my stuff. No room to work with as you described earlier.

Bought a 75g aqueon 3/8" glass (same width and height but deeper) and returned it after noticing the silicone seams are splitting apart when water was filled in for the first time. I freaked out when i saw what was happening with thoughts of 75g of salt water on the living room floor! (strange thing i notice is even my current 55g with 1/2" glass "buckles" when filled. I notice this after recently making a snug fitting egg crate partial cover to fit on the top. After water is filled, it's no longer snug fitting and has a gap of more than 1/2 centimeter at one tank corner between the tanks top rim and its snug fitting egg crate.)

(the current 55g was going to be turned into a all inclusive sump, fuge, ato and water change reservoir. Plans got derailed and all ambitions was lost)

correction on the 1/2" glass. It is 1/4" glass instead

Very impressive Wally.. I can't wait for you to post that video demonstrating your device. Maybe even have one thread introducing all the Tank Mates you have invented so far. You should be getting patents for you inventions and start selling them. The ways you recycle toss away products is very impressive.
To be honest. I'm getting tired of this project. I get really excited when I researching or solving a problem. Or building and modifying.
All that is behind me, and I just got to write all the Human Interface Software. I would actually be more motivated if I was writing the Inteface for others. Like you. But for myself it tough, to just say Good Enough.
But I have learned that if I cut corners, then I regret it later.
So REALLY CLOSE to finished. Really close means probably two weeks, or maybe 4 days.
THEN THE VIDEO WILL BE OUT. I can't wait myself.

I remember you said that you are a programmer. May I asked what programming languages you use for all you projects? And what are the hardware "brains" behind all of your inventions?
Are they based on some short of traditional computer? Or some short of Raspberry Pies or the likes?
You got one of the Brains!!

The Alk Monitor Lab is two brains. A Raspberry PI that does the "Do this" "Do that" "Do this next" and "Time to do this" and also is the "Touch screen Interface" that's a Web Page. One one more important thing. It runs the Camera that does the Measurement.

The 2nd Controller is a "Ardiuno". It's super fast to run the motors, the pumps, INSTANTLY. Something a Raspberry Pi can kind of do, but can be sometime busy doing other stuff since it has a operating system like Windows (called Linux)

As Far as Software.....
The Ariduno is Pure "C" Compiler. Very bits and bytes.
The PI is a "Linux Operating System", and Web Servers, Open CV Computer vision, C code for fast stuff, Perl for Scripts and sequencing, Other modules too.

My dad keeps his Koi(s) in above ground big fiberglass/plastic tubs instead of an underground small pond ever since we moved. It tends to leak and he can't fix the problem no matter what we do, even replacing the tubs. The only salvation to it is run a timer to refill it blindly, which causes a lot of overfilling and associated mess, since water loss is unpredictable due to leaks and evaporation. I always wish I can make something that will alert him when water level is dangerously low, but I am not a programmer. (I am trying really hard to learn Java. Programming is something I always wanted to know but without much success due to time constraints and life).
You Dad sounds productive. And you could probably help him with some automation.

Forget Java. I tried to learn it. Too Cryptic.
For starters, get a Raspberry PI, and learn Maybe (Python). And if you do, you can learn about (GPIO), which is connections on the Raspberry PI to turn on LEDS, Turn on a Pump, listen for a Push-Button.
I hate Python since it kind of for beginners (Easy to start and read), and kind of for Experts (Cryptic for me compare to other Languages).

Buying an Apex does not serve the purpose since that is the only function needed. Besides, the pumps and equipments involved are beyond what Apex can handle due to higher amps and voltages compared to indoor equipments.

Any advice you can offer me where to start so that I may be able to do some of what you can do "some day"?

I already metioned Raspberry PI.
Maybe look into a Project Called ReefPI, which is a ready to go Aquarium COntroller, that someone designed and built, and give you the Code to Run on the PI computer, and you then customize. When you customize you can learn. There are forum group that help each other. The ReefPI can run lights, outlets, sensors like Temp or PH, pumps, has a touch display like mine, etc, etc

OR

Get this kit.... (Which can build a ReefPI and more)
https://www.amazon.com/Freenove-Raspberry-Processing-Tutorials-Components/dp/B06W54L7B5/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=raspberry+pi+sensor+kit&qid=1573111995&sr=8-4

Great way to learn C, Python, or Java. Comes with Lessons and a ton of part to do all kind of projects. Plenty of Raspberry Pi books with Projects out there (I get myProgramming Books from Public Library...Too expensive to buy).

*** BUT don't get into controlling High Voltage/Current Stuff like you dad's outdoor AC pump *** Not for beginners and can kill you. Especially around water.
I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and still don't like High Voltage. I rather do all my stuff with Low Voltage DC stuff.

But if you are Young, and Eager to Learn, get into Stuff like Raspberry PI, or Ardiuno.
I learned it all myself (as Hobby, not school, not job). SLOWLY. Small projects (Like push a button and turn on LED) and got better and better. Took 4 years to really get into more complex stuff.

The best way to get into it is Having a Purpose. Not just doing copycat projects.
I would suggest you goal is to Make you own Auto Top Up, with a Float Switch and a DC Pump.
[Float UP, Pump OFF] [Float down, Pump on]. Then do more, like add a display to show how much water gets added. Add features like a Auto Top up Limit to prevent flood. Etc. You get my point. Start Small, work up.

Last edited:
The 2 tanks thing. 55g is really tight and not designed for reefing. It's actually already filled to capacity after I put in my stuff. No room to work with as you described earlier.

Bought a 75g Aqueon 3/8" glass (same width and height but deeper) and returned it after noticing the silicone seams are splitting apart when water was filled in for the first time. I freaked out when I saw what was happening with thoughts of 75g of salt water on the living room floor! (Strange thing I notice is even my current 55G with 1/2" glass "buckles" when filled. I notice this after recently making a snug fitting egg crate partial cover to fit on the top. After water is filled, it's no longer snug fitting and has a gap of more than 1/2 centimeter at one tank corner between the tanks top rim and its snug fitting egg crate.)

(The current 55g was going to be turned into a all inclusive sump, fuge, ATO and water change reservoir. Plans got derailed and all ambitions was lost)
Yikes. That scares me.
New tank leaking (or maybe used). My 90 Gallon Tank is about 15 years old and I've never redone the Silcone. Some silcone is pealing inside, but I no leaks. To remove everything and re-seal it it lots hard work.
Less then the work if it breaks, so I should do someday. Silicone only lasts so long.
Hey, if it does leak or Bust and 90 Gallons leaks out instantly. I'll know. It's directly above me right now while typing at my Computer in basement.
Whew...I just looked up!! Ceiling is still dry.

To be honest. I'm getting tired of this project. I get really excited when I researching or solving a problem. Or building and modifying.
All that is behind me, and I just got to write all the Human Interface Software. I would actually be more motivated if I was writing the Inteface for others. Like you. But for myself it tough, to just say Good Enough.
But I have learned that if I cut corners, then I regret it later.
So REALLY CLOSE to finished. Really close means probably two weeks, or maybe 4 days.
THEN THE VIDEO WILL BE OUT. I can't wait myself.

You got one of the Brains!!

The Alk Monitor Lab is two brains. A Raspberry PI that does the "Do this" "Do that" "Do this next" and "Time to do this" and also is the "Touch screen Interface" that's a Web Page. One one more important thing. It runs the Camera that does the Measurement.

The 2nd Controller is a "Ardiuno". It's super fast to run the motors, the pumps, INSTANTLY. Something a Raspberry Pi can kind of do, but can be sometime busy doing other stuff since it has a operating system like Windows (called Linux)

As Far as Software.....
The Ariduno is Pure "C" Compiler. Very bits and bytes.
The PI is a "Linux Operating System", and Web Servers, Open CV Computer vision, C code for fast stuff, Perl for Scripts and sequencing, Other modules too.

You Dad sounds productive. And you could probably help him with some automation.

Forget Java. I tried to learn it. Too Cryptic.
For starters, get a Raspberry PI, and learn Maybe (Python). And if you do, you can learn about (GPIO), which is connections on the Raspberry PI to turn on LEDS, Turn on a Pump, listen for a Push-Button.
I hate Python since it kind of for beginners (Easy to start and read), and kind of for Experts (Cryptic for me compare to other Languages).

I already metioned Raspberry PI.
Maybe look into a Project Called ReefPI, which is a ready to go Aquarium COntroller, that someone designed and built, and give you the Code to Run on the PI computer, and you then customize. When you customize you can learn. There are forum group that help each other. The ReefPI can run lights, outlets, sensors like Temp or PH, pumps, has a touch display like mine, etc, etc

OR

Get this kit.... (Which can build a ReefPI and more)
https://www.amazon.com/Freenove-Raspberry-Processing-Tutorials-Components/dp/B06W54L7B5/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=raspberry+pi+sensor+kit&qid=1573111995&sr=8-4

Great way to learn C, Python, or Java. Comes with Lessons and a ton of part to do all kind of projects. Plenty of Raspberry Pi books with Projects out there (I get myProgramming Books from Public Library...Too expensive to buy).

*** BUT don't get into controlling High Voltage/Current Stuff like you dad's outdoor AC pump *** Not for beginners and can kill you. Especially around water.
I have a degree in Electrical Engineering and still don't like High Voltage. I rather do all my stuff with Low Voltage DC stuff.

But if you are Young, and Eager to Learn, get into Stuff like Raspberry PI, or Ardiuno.
I learned it all myself (as Hobby, not school, not job). SLOWLY. Small projects (Like push a button and turn on LED) and got better and better. Took 4 years to really get into more complex stuff.

The best way to get into it is Having a Purpose. Not just doing copycat projects.
I would suggest you goal is to Make you own Auto Top Up, with a Float Switch and a DC Pump.
[Float UP, Pump OFF] [Float down, Pump on]. Then do more, like add a display to show how much water gets added. Add features like a Auto Top up Limit to prevent flood. Etc. You get my point. Start Small, work up.

Thanks for all that info Wally, and the high voltage warning. My Dad is really handy when it come to tinkering with stuff. Woodworking, making mechanical devices etc....

I will start getting that kit from that link you sent me. And also look into the ReefPi Project.

Yikes. That scares me.
New tank leaking (or maybe used). My 90 Gallon Tank is about 15 years old and I've never redone the Silcone. Some silcone is pealing inside, but I no leaks. To remove everything and re-seal it it lots hard work.
Less then the work if it breaks, so I should do someday. Silicone only lasts so long.
Hey, if it does leak or Bust and 90 Gallons leaks out instantly. I'll know. It's directly above me right now while typing at my Computer in basement.
Whew...I just looked up!! Ceiling is still dry.

The tank was bought new from Petsmart for $200. IT has a really sturdy top and bottom frame. With that in mind, it looks like it was a good product eventhough the glass was thinner to the point of being skimpy. Boy, was I wrong. I was going for the cheap.

What I really wanted was an Innovative Marine 75G, but it cost a lot to me ($1500 or $1700 tank with stand as I remember). I did not see the difference in price benefit, cause my 55g is pretty good for being around that long. It turns out my old 55g was build really well with good glass thickness, while the 75g now us made with thinner 3/8" glass (so are the current 55g's too). There are a lot of failure stories on the internet on this tank. You even start hearing about Rea Sea Reefer failures now. I had even built a "wooden table top" for my existing steel frame to accommodate this tank since the 75g was 6 inches deeper, while there was nothing for sale that I think was sturdy enough for it. The thinking was also to reuse everything I have and not let it sit idle.

Like I mentioned before, the current 55g was going to bottom of the frame where my current sump sits as a super sized all in one sump. with the 75g goes on top. Luckily I have not bought glass and converted the current 55g into the custom DIY sump I wanted. That would have been a financial disaster. Either way, my whole plan got derailed, which made me going back to my first thought in expanding my tank space. That is what I wind out having now. :deadhorse1:

Dang Wally. After years of taking a break and coming back to this hobby your here still! I’m going to create a journal soon... hope everything is going well!

Dang Wally. After years of taking a break and coming back to this hobby your here still! I'm going to create a journal soon... hope everything is going well!

Yup, still here. Always things to Do/Learn/improve.

Post your Thread when you get started.

Back