My Tank Thread (Take3) ★Total AUTOMATION★ DIY Doser, Sump, AlgaeScrubber, WaterChnges

Yea I think I'm going to grab that tank and shove it in the closet for a few months... SOunds like a terrible idea lol.

Yea I think I'm going to grab that tank and shove it in the closet for a few months... SOunds like a terrible idea lol.

I don't think it's a terrible idea.
You can daydream about the future build for months.
It takes time to make a good plan and vision.

I don't have that luxury.

My OLD tank is sitting on Stilts.

New Tank will arrive in about a month.

And I have to tackle this mess for the new build (since Tank is out now)

39284287132_f45b2c52fc_b.jpg

-> Need to Gut walls for new Larger Corner Opening
-> Waterproof the Sump room (mistake I didn't do properly 15 years ago)

24623076318_67d25eebe2.jpg

-> Build a Stand
-> Redo all wiring and controllers (out of way of side Wall)

And a ton more that I'm starting to plan and think how it will all come together.

Biggest challenge is I have TWO RUNNING TANKS/SUMP in that room.

I'll start the pre-build thread once I get some traction.

OMG Wally.

I just stumbled on his thread search for sump size and saw this in amazement just simply skimming through! And you call yourself not a pro! More than pro than I can ever be. Only if you can teach me all of what you are doing.

OMG Wally.

I just stumbled on his thread search for sump size and saw this in amazement just simply skimming through! And you call yourself not a pro! More than pro than I can ever be. Only if you can teach me all of what you are doing.

Thanks for the Generous Compliment.

I am still not an expert since I can't get my SPS to Grow Fast :(

At least I am killing much less lately.

Very Humble. I think you just don't have enough time for your tank since you seems to be a very busy person. I am learning myself after being in it for the past 5 years. Gave up buying more coral from having them constantly dying after a few months. The remaining ones a six polyp Hammer, a 10 polyp frog spawn, 3 shrooms, zenia, and one leather coral are now thriving to the point that my 35G is not able to hold anymore. They were fragged not because I know how. They just broke/fell apart into different pieces, then remounted on rocks. : )

Very Humble. I think you just don't have enough time for your tank since you seems to be a very busy person. I am learning myself after being in it for the past 5 years. Gave up buying more coral from having them constantly dying after a few months. The remaining ones a six polyp Hammer, a 10 polyp frog spawn, 3 shrooms, zenia, and one leather coral are now thriving to the point that my 35G is not able to hold anymore. They were fragged not because I know how. They just broke/fell apart into different pieces, then remounted on rocks. : )

Yes, I don't have much time since, so this MIGHT HELP get back some time, and save on Salt Water too (by re-use, Cascading from Cleanest SPS Tank to my Dirtiest LPS tank).

Just finished building A DIY 4 Stage Water Changer Controller (Integrated to Apex)

32851070307_6fed73ef28_b.jpg

Basically it will do this.....

32851073037_d93898110c_c.jpg

GOAL IS TO AUTOMATE my 3 Tanks almost 100%. KEEPS my HAND out and disrupting things.
Can working more on Stability, Nutrients, and messing around with Frag Tank (not DT's)

More details to come, and a Working Demo, when I complete Installation, and Finished the Software.

Maybe in a separate thread.

Yes, I don't have much time since, so this MIGHT HELP get back some time, and save on Salt Water too (by re-use, Cascading from Cleanest SPS Tank to my Dirtiest LPS tank).

Just finished building A DIY 4 Stage Water Changer Controller (Integrated to Apex)

32851070307_6fed73ef28_b.jpg

Basically it will do this.....

32851073037_d93898110c_c.jpg

GOAL IS TO AUTOMATE my 3 Tanks almost 100%. KEEPS my HAND out and disrupting things.

Can working more on Stability, Nutrients, and messing around with Frag Tank (not DT's)

More details to come, and a Working Demo, when I complete Installation, and Finished the Software.

Maybe in a separate thread.

Hi Wally,

You have 3 tanks and 2 sumps? I am in the process of combining my 35g & 55g tanks by draining into the same sump and returning to both tanks byb1 return pump. Auto water change, ATO, @ chiller will work for both tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Wally,

You have 3 tanks and 2 sumps? I am in the process of combining my 35g & 55g tanks by draining into the same sump and returning to both tanks byb1 return pump. Auto water change, ATO, @ chiller will work for both tanks.

Well I actually have 2 Main Display Tank TANKS (the 90 Gallon LPS tank) and the (110 Gallon SPS) Tank.

the 3rd TANK (In between Tank is a DIY 35 Gallon Frag Tank made from a OLD 35 I got from Thrift Store).
It has a built in Sump.

46899810895_ca8442bcc2_b.jpg

32851203167_5295cd88c7_c.jpg

The 65 Gallon Tank under the Frag Tank is the New Salt Water Reservoir.
It's about 12 years old, slightly scratched. Tried to sell it when I upgrade to 110, but nobody wanted it.
REALLY GLAD nobody bought it, since It's perfect for Water Reservoir. I never consciously realized it's same width,length as Frag Tank till only a week ago.

Just Shot this VIDEO to Make things a bit obvious for my Whole setup.
What's missing in this Video is the 90 Gallon LPS tank is UPSTAIR, Directly above the SUMP ROOM.
The Pumbing to the Sump (Under the 110 Gallon Tank) is in those white Deck Post Columns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCgo9b-xWo

THE WATER CHANGER is Finished, and I setup this TEST LAB on my Desk to develop the code to run it. (Code will go fairly Fast, since I will be re-using Code from my DIY Doser, and the DIY Tank Minder)

47763839262_a9e9201cb2_b.jpg

Must be tested, since it will be HOOKED up to 2 Live Tanks.

Last edited:
Well I actually have 2 Main Display Tank TANKS (the 90 Gallon LPS tank) and the (110 Gallon SPS) Tank.

the 3rd TANK (In between Tank is a DIY 35 Gallon Frag Tank made from a OLD 35 I got from Thrift Store).
It has a built in Sump.

46899810895_ca8442bcc2_b.jpg

32851203167_5295cd88c7_c.jpg

The 65 Gallon Tank under the Frag Tank is the New Salt Water Reservoir.
It's about 12 years old, slightly scratched. Tried to sell it when I upgrade to 110, but nobody wanted it.
REALLY GLAD nobody bought it, since It's perfect for Water Reservoir. I never consciously realized it's same width,length as Frag Tank till only a week ago.

Just Shot this VIDEO to Make things a bit obvious for my Whole setup.
What's missing in this Video is the 90 Gallon LPS tank is UPSTAIR, Directly above the SUMP ROOM.
The Pumbing to the Sump (Under the 110 Gallon Tank) is in those white Deck Post Columns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGCgo9b-xWo

THE WATER CHANGER is Finished, and I setup this TEST LAB on my Desk to develop the code to run it. (Code will go fairly Fast, since I will be re-using Code from my DIY Doser, and the DIY Tank Minder)

47763839262_a9e9201cb2_b.jpg

Must be tested, since it will be HOOKED up to 2 Live Tanks.

Wally. Thanks for the video. I see see what you mean. I wish I have space for a sump room like you do. I am now in the process of combining my 55g (almost 30yrs old recently resealed) and my red sea 35g (6yrs old with build in sump) by draining into a 20g (water content) Sump and returning to the 55g and 35g using one return pump. My piping are ready. They will be connected this coming Saturday. Everything is a mess and all over the floor now (Including Apex, AWC, ATO, EB832, Break Out Box, Cable, .... etc). Once the returns are combined, then my project will be to create a cabinet to house all of the Apex gears. I am looking forward to have it finished and post a picture here.

Wally. Thanks for the video. I see see what you mean. I wish I have space for a sump room like you do. I am now in the process of combining my 55g (almost 30yrs old recently resealed) and my red sea 35g (6yrs old with build in sump) by draining into a 20g (water content) Sump and returning to the 55g and 35g using one return pump. My piping are ready. They will be connected this coming Saturday. Everything is a mess and all over the floor now (Including Apex, AWC, ATO, EB832, Break Out Box, Cable, .... etc). Once the returns are combined, then my project will be to create a cabinet to house all of the Apex gears. I am looking forward to have it finished and post a picture here.

Cool. Nice project you got going.
I too wanted to hook up my Frag tank to DT with Overflow and return. but it's a nightmare challenge. Not sure if anyone has done what I will be doing with just water change cascading down. Might work, might not well see.
In your case....Nothing better than re-using old stuff, to save money, and be eco friendly too.
Have you got a thread so I can follow along with your future build?
If not, share a photo since there is always room to learn and get good ideas.

I too wanted to hook up my Frag tank to DT with Overflow and return. but it's a nightmare challenge. Not sure if anyone has done what I will be doing with just water change cascading down. Might work, might not well see.

In your case....Nothing better than re-using old stuff, to save money, and be eco friendly too.

Thanks for the comment on reusing old stuff. Just hate to see old stuff going to the dump. That 30yr old tank was bought new for freshwater fish back in 1989. Did I just say 1989? It's been that long. They don't make those cheap tanks like that anymore with 1/4 glass.

I don't have a thread. Maybe I should start one. I will have some photos once the combined thanks work. Reason for combining is to safe money on gear costs such as Apex, chiller, return pumps, skimmer, an so forth.

Hi wally. it's me again. I the combined my 2 tanks draining into one sump. So far so good. Created a small in sump DIY algae scrubber all running from the same return pump. Now half way through building my Apex gear mount to hide under my cabinet. Thinking about sharing some pics here.

You suggested that I create a thread. How do you do that?

Hi wally. it's me again. I the combined my 2 tanks draining into one sump. So far so good. Created a small in sump DIY algae scrubber all running from the same return pump. Now half way through building my Apex gear mount to hide under my cabinet. Thinking about sharing some pics here.

You suggested that I create a thread. How do you do that?

Hey there.
I just noticed this post. Been super busy.
I hope you have moved along and things well.
Share your pics here, and I can certainly help you get your own thread going.

Big Announcement Coming Soon.

Another DIY Project Almost Finished.

Biggest Project so far, Most Advanced and Best Ever (for my goals of SPS Tank Stability).

Hint. DIY Alkalinity Monitor

(Like No Other. Should work, and if it does as designed/tested so far, I'll be close to Total Automation since I dose 2 Part, so I don't need Calc/Mag via automaton).

Big Announcement Coming Soon.

Another DIY Project Almost Finished.

Biggest Project so far, Most Advanced and Best Ever (for my goals of SPS Tank Stability).

Hint. DIY Alkalinity Monitor

(Like No Other. Should work, and if it does as designed/tested so far, I'll be close to Total Automation since I dose 2 Part, so I don't need Calc/Mag via automaton).

Hi Wally,

It's been a while that I was in RC. I have not forgotten about posting some pics here.:spin3: I have actually finished my Apex Gear Mount and just about to finishing up the rest of the mounting my dos and hiding my three 8 gallons reservoir buckets. I the process of re-finishing an old aquarium tank table to house these buckets. hopefully I should be done in the next couple of weeks due to time constraints. Then I will have to dig up the pics of the progress That I have taken all this time while doing it and have them posted. Hopefully again that I can find them in my phone.

Apex Gear Mount

Apex Gear Mount

Hey there.
I just noticed this post. Been super busy.
I hope you have moved along and things well.
Share your pics here, and I can certainly help you get your own thread going.

Here are pics of the first Step in Making the Apex Gears Mount that goes inside my Red Sea 35 Cabinet. Pictures of the finished product has yet to be taken. There will be more pics of my plumbing and others that is still in progress.

my pics did not go in. How do you do that?

Attachments

• IMG_1406.jpg
    IMG_1406.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1408.jpg
    IMG_1408.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1420.jpg
    IMG_1420.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg