Nano Tank "Trophy" Fish

dstipple

Having a nano tank, I know I can't have some of my favorite fish such as tangs, wrasses (with the exception of a few, 6 line, banded possum, etc), and angels to be that eye catching fish. What fish would you guys say has that same eye catching ability that is suitable long term for a nano?

Quite a few nice ''special'' fish for nanos

Blue Spot Jawfish,if you have a deep enough sandbed

Helfrichi Firefish

Any of the so called designer clownfish..Picassos,snowflakes,snowcassos,onyx etc

Swissguard Basslet

there are some nice gobies too

Yashas,Draculas,white cap

How big is the nano?
There is a huge difference in what you can keep between a 5 gallon and a 30 gallon.

18e9a9f1-c456-425a.jpg
18e9a9f1-c470-90e2.jpg

In my 5.5 I have a single yellow tailed blue damsel. It's a beautiful and hardy fish, swims in the water column, and as the only fish aggression isn't an issue. However in a nano a damsel has to be the only fish in the tank.

This fish basically glows in LED lighting and you will have a tank full of exotic, expensive fish and people that don't know anything about reef tanks will be ooh and ahh all over this el cheapo.

electric-blue-damsel-fish.jpg

If you want to spend some cash, some of the designer clowns are very beautiful - I like the snowflakes and black ices.

I lost one of my helfrichi firefish just last week.. was a sad day at my house. I've had them both for about 6 months. Walked over to the tank to find him sucked in to the MP10...

It was the little guy on the right of the picture
DSC_0228-1.jpg

I have a snowflake clown and a purple fire fish in my ten gallon, and a black once in my 7 (8gallon AIO, temp as it grows out) with my black and white occellaris. I prob moving my purple firefish to the 46 bow to make room for a helfrichi firefish.

Back