Nanook Visit

griss

RC Mod
Staff member
RC Mod
Been too long since I visited Nanook. Went today and was so in awe of his tanks that I forgot to take pics😞

But, came home with these.

Attachments

• F08353D3-0BBB-4EA4-821F-E8E1FF0753AC.jpeg
    F08353D3-0BBB-4EA4-821F-E8E1FF0753AC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 97D5F799-4920-4EF4-8D50-DD4A8FD9E434.jpeg
    97D5F799-4920-4EF4-8D50-DD4A8FD9E434.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 55
  • 709FAD82-234E-4BFA-9DBB-7B2EB396B9B1.jpeg
    709FAD82-234E-4BFA-9DBB-7B2EB396B9B1.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • D188A7D3-73CD-4F0F-940A-E9905D1D3880.jpeg
    D188A7D3-73CD-4F0F-940A-E9905D1D3880.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
One and the smaller pieces are believed to be a Blue Slimer. It literally fell apart while Nook was trying to frag it. The other is a Copps Turquoise Hoeckzema

This one is starting to encrust nicely.

Attachments

• F56695E1-B4EB-47D0-B5FA-32B900989159.jpeg
    F56695E1-B4EB-47D0-B5FA-32B900989159.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 41
So Jason Fox and Steve Tyree were all the rage when I stopped paying attention to the hobby. Yeah they had some nice stuff, and now dozens of folks have that kind of insane(ly expensive) stuff. As it were, I am still a huge fan of some of the good old standbys like the slimers and run of the mill montis, etc.

In fact - I can't wait to get some green slimer going once the tank is back up to SPS spec!

So Jason Fox and Steve Tyree were all the rage when I stopped paying attention to the hobby. Yeah they had some nice stuff, and now dozens of folks have that kind of insane(ly expensive) stuff. As it were, I am still a huge fan of some of the good old standbys like the slimers and run of the mill montis, etc.

In fact - I can't wait to get some green slimer going once the tank is back up to SPS spec!
I never got into all the named stuff / naming. I still call them by their scientific names. That said, I want some A. Milles😉

Here are some folks I haven't seen in a while ;-) Nice to see you and Dave are still at it! We moved to Huntsville not long ago and I plan on taking another stab at this hobby soon :)

Here are some folks I haven't seen in a while ;-) Nice to see you and Dave are still at it! We moved to Huntsville not long ago and I plan on taking another stab at this hobby soon :)
Holy crap, good to see you buddy. How the heck have you been? Miss hanging with you.

Haha...hope you guys are doing well. Is it just me or has this community shrunk a bit? Also, things are crazy expensive these days! What are the go to sites for livestock now?

Well, I wouldn’t buy from LiveAquaria, they’ve really gone downhill IMO.

I haven’t bought a lot of livestock online lately but I’ve had great luck with KP Aquatic and Reeftopia.

Facebook groups across all hobbies seems to have hurt a lot of forums. It seems people would prefer an instant answer whether it’s wrong of right to getting a correct answer😉

Well, I wouldn’t buy from LiveAquaria, they’ve really gone downhill IMO.

I haven’t bought a lot of livestock online lately but I’ve had great luck with KP Aquatic and Reeftopia.

Facebook groups across all hobbies seems to have hurt a lot of forums. It seems people would prefer an instant answer whether it’s wrong of right to getting a correct answer😉
I have had extremely good luck with @Corals.com and @Dr. Reef as well as Unique Corals.

Yes things are expensive, but If I am forced to pay that much, I am going to want to be assured that I am getting quality livestock.

I also try to regularly buy from an LFS here in Pittsburgh (Elmer's Aquarium) that has been a staple here for over 50 years. The pricing isn't terrible and they do try to be reasonable given their brick and mortar overhead.

Yes - facebook and social media as well as reddit are where a lot of people have ended up, greatly segmenting the information circles and diluting the number of forum users.

It’s been a while since I posted update pics but, I believe I’m truly back in the Acro game. The two I got from Nanook are doing awesome.

A. Hoeckzema (first pic)

Blue Slimer (second & third pics)

A. cophodactyla (fourth & fifth pic, mother and frag) for some reason the frag looks sooo much better.

Attachments

• IMG_5365.jpeg
    IMG_5365.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5366.jpeg
    IMG_5366.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5363.jpeg
    IMG_5363.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5364.jpeg
    IMG_5364.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5367.jpeg
    IMG_5367.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Well, those pics somehow posted out of order🙄. I’ll correct tomorrow, it’s getting late.

Correct picture names are:
Pics 1 & 5 are the A. Cophodactyla
Pics 2&3 are the Blue Slimer A. Youngeii
Pic 4 is the A. Hoeckzema

Back