Naso in a 5' tank?

Drae

RAIDER NATION!
I have a 150gal (5x2x2) reef with two small tangs already ( sailfin&tomini ) both around 4" if you count tail fins. Other fish include a chalk bass, skunk pair w/nem, sixline wrasse, and a true perc( soon to be removed). Can I add a healthy sized naso tang? He'd by far be my biggest fish at 6 plus inches. BTW, plenty open swimming space and caves in the tank. Tonga branch allowed for a couple caves big enough for every fish to still have a room. Sailfin has a football sized cave, he might have to make room though. This naso is ridiculously beautiful! I'll do a 180 or bigger if needed, I'm starring to dig tangs a lot.

I would say a minimum of 8ft for any Naso species. That might sound harsh, but many others say 10ft or longer. I just don't think 5 or 6 feet in length will cut it. sorry

Reef Central recommends a 10 ft tank. I think that is the MINIMUM for any Naso species.

I would not. I had a N. vlamingii in my 7' 400 gal and he was cramped and maybe half grown. I do have a N. lituratus now but he hasn't grown more than 2" in nearly 3 years. Why, IDK. My orange spotted rabittfish is larger than the naso.

an 8' tank is the absolute minimum for the smallest naso (lituratus and elegans). a 5' tank is way too small and they will be stressed in time, especially one that's already 6". Keep in mind they grow to 18" in the wild and probably a good 14-15" in captivity.

I'll take all of your advise! I'm really becoming quite responsible with my tanks now since becoming a reefaholic. Looks like a big phat fowler is in order!

Back