Nassarius snail?

Muller

Most places I have read say that nassarius snails will not breed in an aquarium. It appears these ones are slowly breeding. Are there some that do breed in captivity? Or are these not nassarius? I do have some Strombus Grazers that are different and are breeding so I don't think these are them. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424061057.608314.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424061076.457452.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424061096.090411.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424061106.674083.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1424061116.107174.jpg

Those definitely look like Nassa snails to me. How do you think you know that they're breeding? It could be that you bought some, thought they died, and bought more...

I bought some larger nassarius then a few months later saw these small ones. When I first noticed them they were not even as big as a pin head. Now they are just a little smaller than my Strombus Grazers.

I haven't heard of any cases of Nassarius snails being bred before, so if this is the case, then congratulations! What's your filtration? Do you have a sump and overflow? If yes, then they might be live bearing snails...but I'm getting ahead of myself here. I'd give it a 90% positive yes, they are breeding.

Those are adults, just a lot smaller species than most of the ones that are on the market. Good chance they came in with live sand or live rock.

Cheers,

Don

Don - can the little ones breed in a tank? My population of these guys seems to be huge compared to the few I actually added several years ago. Hard to believe they all hitched in.

Nassarius snail?

I haven't gotten anything in quite some time and notice another small one. Significantly smaller than those from the last batch. Someone is having babies. This picture shows one of my large nassarius, a medium and small nassarius of the proposed breeding type and and 2 of the grazers. The medium and small ones may not be offspring of the large nassarius.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424142811.887855.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't heard of any cases of Nassarius snails being bred before, so if this is the case, then congratulations! What's your filtration? Do you have a sump and overflow? If yes, then they might be live bearing snails...but I'm getting ahead of myself here. I'd give it a 90% positive yes, they are breeding.

140ish gallon display tank with I overflow and sump with a skimz skimmer. Filter sock grabs most of the flow from overflow. Just built an algae scrubber to try get rid of my current cyano outbreak I am having. My setup has been running since June 2012. Over the Christmas break I made the switch from a DIY T5HO to a DIY LED system.

It's possible, but not very likely that they could have raised in there. The Nassarius species I've read up on all have fairly long veliger stages, and it would be pretty miraculous for them to survive in an aquarium. Stranger things have happened, though. :)

Don

Back