need a reef safe fish to regulate a school of chromis

pogiboy67

can anyone recommend me a reef safe fish that will hopefully regulate chromis into schooling more? was hoping for a yellow one.. anyone have suggestions? thanks!

I think that fish don't shoal in tanks. The purpose of the behavior is to prevent predation.

Chromis will most likely not school as in the wild unless you have a really, really big tank. In the confines of most reef aquariums they will pester each other until only one or two remain.

That's precisely the reason he was asking the question.

pogiboy, with a 75 I think youll be really limited in terms of anything that could frighten them enough to fall in line; maybe one of the zebrasoma tangs (yellow, scopas, purple, black) would work out, if it happens to be a bit more aggressive?

Or a pair of maroon clowns?

Both are stretches though...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8141944#post8141944 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IanInDC
That's precisely the reason he was asking the question.

Yes I know...
Like I said earlier that "schooling behavior" will be limited, to say the least, in the confines of smaller aquariums.

When they are young they will stick closer together but as they age they will become less tolerant of each other and will pester one another, regardless of the presence of more aggressive fish, until their numbers decline to one or two.

I have limited experience of around six months with Chromis but, my 5 Chromis do school. All it takes is a person near the tank, especially one that moves around alot or my Yellow Tang to decide he needs to show he is the boss. This is in a 4' long 75G.

Yes, I know I should probably not have this tang. He has been in this tank for many years ( 6 or 7) and is fat and happy. And yes I know that the schooling behavior may not continue over the years. Right now it is great to watch. Also note that I know of some that have had luck with Chromis but, most do not. The most common pattern is well described by SuperNerd in his post.

John

I kept a school of 6 in my 90 with a niger trigger, even with the trigger they felt comfortable enough to kill each oyher off.

i had 9 in with a blue throat trigger.. the trigger sure did provide reason for them to 'regulate' but it was all for nothing,,they all ended up getting eaten.

also,they tend to do best in very large groups.. if you have ever seen fully grown chromis you will be amazed at the size they attain. the 75 will seem way to small.

snowflakes "generally" do not actively go after other fish.

the aggressive damsel idea is good and i actually tried that prior to adding the trigger. added a lemon damsel..but that freakin thing was harassing every other small fish in the tank as well...what a pita that was...

The snowflake eel won't really do anything to fish... unless he isn't well fed, then anything is game. There are some other instances where a snowflake has been known to eat fish, but this is more of a rarity than a common sight.

Oh, get a blue velvet damsel, black with an electric blue V over the brow---it'll keep them in marching order. Of course, nothing else in the tank will be safe unless it's larger, and even then, it needs to watch its hind-skirts.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8140695#post8140695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SuperNerd
Chromis will most likely not school as in the wild unless you have a really, really big tank. In the confines of most reef aquariums they will pester each other until only one or two remain.

I totally agree with this. I have a 46G reef with three Green Chromis. At times they will swim together but more often than not, they are apart or picking on each other.

Back