Need advice, buying a new large external skimmer...

What's the reason that you want an external one up to 3 ft tall?

If I had a large aquarium, I would get this one (T-5000 Single or Twin). http://www.liverocknreef.com/liverock/index.php?l=product_detail&p=8811 However their footprints are over 17". http://www.aqua-medic.de/videos/products/Turboflotor 5000_13515153480.mp4

I read one article which explains that a tall skimmer works better than a short wide one due to the longer contact.

I already have my tall lifereef skimmer. Its in the only space available for a tall skimmer. And it works great so I am keeping it.
I want one up to 3' tall because that's the highest it can be without hitting the stairs..

Last edited:
I run a Bubble King Supermarin myself and had the BK made Alpha 300 prior. I've also helped many people with their Bubble Kings and am intimately familar with them. I've run almost every conceivable skimmer in the last 27 years. The BK's are are GREAT skimmers and hands down, one of my favorites but you need to pay close attention to the size rating. They are conservatively rated and have a very large neck diameter. If you don't have enough DOC's in your water or your tank is below their size rating, they will not perform consistently. They are load sensitive and must be sized properly. It's a skimmer that you absolutely don't want to oversize. If you size them properly, they are among the best when it comes to consistancy, lack of maintenance requirements, efficiency and skimmate production in experience.

As I said, I've run a lot of skimmers over the years on many different sized tanks. I've run becketts, Mezzei injected skimmers, venturi skimmers, down draft skimmers, Klase Skimmers, Reef Octopus, Euro Reef and many others. I always try to base my skimmer choices on tank and load size first then footprint. Different skimmers have different ways of generating foam and even when it comes to recirculating or needle wheel skimmers, they are not all created equal and in my opinion, you can't just go based on footprint. As such, I'd be reluctant to provide any advice based on footprint alone.

I would love to get a bubble king but like you said, I like to oversize skimmers and try and keep them with smaller necks so they still perform. We have experience with a few of their models from working at local shops. Great skimmers. That's one option when we move and have our fish room up and running. I have had a lot of experience with a lot of the older model skimmers, I am basically wondering if anything newer is out that fits my bill.

I am basing my choice on tank and load size. And I need something with a 12" chamber, otherwise its not much of an upgrade. I can not use internal.

I haven't seen one bad review in Skimz protein skimmers. Furthermore, we don't have to deal with Skimz anymore, now that BRS is handling all the customers service and warranty issues for Skimz protein skimmers in the United States. I've heard nothing but good things about BRS as a leader in of great customer service in the industry. I trust BRS and I think you'll be hard pressed to find a lot of unhappy customers.

It sounds like you are set on RO because of your past experience. That's perfectly normal and fine. I have had a hard time letting go of AquaC. I've been using their skimmers for almost 13 years because of their simplicity, quality and the best customer service I've ever found anywhere. There are a number of good options out there. If you are looking for something different the best advice I can give is be open minded and as objective as possible. Try looking at off brands like Bashsea, ELOS, Seaside or Sealife. There are so many options out there and you have given this a lot of time and thought. It may be time to take a break and stop thinking of it for a few days. Do what your gut tells you it's a bug investment and this skimmer will be around for years.

P.S. Slief...when ever he has a post I listen carefully. It's hard to find guys with his kind of experience. He knowz what he is talking about. No joke. I trust him.

Thanks! See thoes brands are what I need. I had no clue thoes companies make skimmers. I am not hard set on ro at all, just having trouble finding something that fits my needs.

I noticed the rlss 12" external uses two DC 5500s which I like and has a smaller neck as well. But I have heard so much about the gen 1pumps failing and not sure if its been long enough where I trust the gen 2 or not. :(

I figured out a way so I am not so size restricted. I can build a platform over my ago to set the skimmer on. Its just got to be 29 inches tall at the most.. So now I have a few more options.

Slief, my tank is about 260 gallons, but all smaller tanks fully stocked with every kind of coral and about 50 fish that get fed extremely well. If you have any questions that will help you help me find a good skimmer just ask :)

I can make a platform above my ato and fit almost anything 29" tall or shorter. It would overhang my return section a bit on my sump if the short width is more than 16" which is OK.

39fa21ca46bf8f2f576cc19e53d4d422.jpg

Otherwise its got to fit in this corner which is 17" wide. And up to 24" wide longways. I would have to move my calcium reactor under my 90 though.

e6eb7d129269946c256f6e730198887c.jpg

I'm surprised no one has mentioned life reef skimmers I know they make a six foot one that rocks. I love my vs3-24 myself

I would love to get a bubble king but like you said, I like to oversize skimmers and try and keep them with smaller necks so they still perform. We have experience with a few of their models from working at local shops. Great skimmers. That's one option when we move and have our fish room up and running. I have had a lot of experience with a lot of the older model skimmers, I am basically wondering if anything newer is out that fits my bill.

I am basing my choice on tank and load size. And I need something with a 12" chamber, otherwise its not much of an upgrade. I can not use internal.

Here's a thought... Consider a BK Supermarin 300 or Deluxe 300 and have a sleeve made to narrow the neck diameter about an inch. You could make it with a flange at the top of the sleeve so it drops in from the top of the skimmer neck and just sits in there. That way, there are no permanent changes to the skimmer. Taper the inside bottom edge so it transitions from the neck sleeve diameter to the BK's neck diameter at the base of the neck. You would maintain the water volume of the larger skimmer with the ability to maintain consistency with the smaller tank/load. The sleeve would be easy enough to make. You would just need one piece of 1/4" thick acrylic tubing that has an outside diameter of the BK's neck ID. Then get another piece of acrylic 1/4" tubing that has an OD that matches the ID of the first tubing. Glue the first one inside the 2nd tubing. Add a circular acrylic flange to the top of the new tubing that has an OD that matches the OD the BK neck and an ID that matches the inner tubes ID. Glue that to the top of the tubing so it supports your new neck insert within the BK's neck. Next, use a tapered router bit to create a nice transition at the base of the new neck insert.

That's a good idea!

I am almost set on getting a rlss 12" external though. I do need to find out the neck size because I can't find it on any site. But it looks to be much smaller than the 7 in neck on most of the other 12" skimmers. I like how it uses two DC pumps to get more air, it it also doesn't say how much tank water to feed it. I would guess 1200+ since the reef octopus says 1000 to 1200 for their DC skimmer line. And that's just with one DC pump which is a little over half what the rlss uses. I think BH getting this and a jebo 12000 to supply my lifereef mod skimmer and the rlss I should be golden. With the jebo I can also up the supply water going into my lifereef skimmer. Right now I am using a mag 7 and I think that's probably a little undersized. I am using a 1800 gph recirculation pump on it as well.

So does anyone have anything to say about the rlss 12" external? Seems that company has been quiet for a bit.... Good skimmer?

Yea he texted me because he knew I was looking, but its to tall to fit in my sump and I need external. Plus I am tired of buying used stuff and putting the money into this hobby I need to from now on. Also it has not bubble diffusing system or anything, just a chamber. I like the size though I could possibly get by with just that skimmer if it would fit.

I was going to get the rlss external 12 but I can't find the neck size online and support for it seems tough. I may just go with the regal or the sro6000. I like the bubble blasters and am confident in them, not so much with reef octopuses DC pump. I am going to give it a day for someone to give some advice who has used the rlss, or in am ordering a reef octopus.

Guys....I just completed a complete life support system overhaul on my 800 gallon system using all new Bashsea equipment (external skimmer, external bio reactor and sump). It has only been running about a week, but I can tell you that the build quality is excellent (and I am a picky nerd chemical engineer). :) Additionally, specific to the skimmer, it is a called the "Twisted Skimmer" design and it is a MONSTER!!! The skimmer is 12" diameter by 48" tall, dual beckett injectors and it is powered by a Reeflo Hammerhead pump. After about two days of break in, it is producing a very nasty skimmate and the bubble action in the column is amazing (it looks like milk inside, trust me, I stood and watched it for about ten minutes the other evening). I plan to post the full build details with pictures here shortly, probably in its own thread. But...if you have any specific questions, please ask here or PM me.

If you have room for a big dog skimmer....you may want to check this out!

Best of luck, Reefdude

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-11.jpg
    FullSizeRender-11.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 2
Back