need advice

chicagomike1974

Hey everyone....im new to this board. Im getting a used 75 gal tank that has been established for 2 years from a friend for 300 bucks. Comes with 100# of live rock,live sand, wet/dry, florescent lights,protein skimmer, Uv sterilizer. the only live stock is 1 percula clown. I definately want to go the reef direction and am lookng into lighting right now, but my question is what are some good fish to put in the tank to start? I have some experience with saltwater as i have my own 29gal with LR. Im looking to spend about 200 bucks to start before i get the lighting and start with the corals.
Also is that too much rock? I personally like a tank with less rock with more room for the fish, but with a good selection of corals as opposed to a tank that looks 'too busy'.
Like everyone else, i want to start off right and not waste money or kill livestock.
Thanks!

Mike

[welcome]

The recommend amount is 1-1.5lbs of liverock per gallon but there is a major flaw in this rule as some rock is more dense than others. I prefer to leave more swimming room.

Well use as much of the old water as possible. You need a water test kit.You need to know what your water quality is.I would let it circulate a few weeks and monitor readings.If all is fine and nothing that needs attention then i would add some CUC then wait a few weeks add more CUC and a fish or coral.The time in between you can use for research of feeding and other requirments.Slow and easy.And you could get some soft coral with no problem.

Once you get the tank running I'd reccomend starting with some hermits and snails before you add fish. After about a month you can start adding fish. Good begginning fish are Royal Grammas, Banggai Cadinalfish, firefish, and Coral Beauty Angelfish.

Back