Need help picking out T5 bulbs please

PermaNoob

Tank is a 120g, standard 48x24 and will be a mixed reef with maybe 1/3 of it being sps. Light fixure will be an ATI powermodule 8 bulbs. I keep hearing about overdriving to 80w, but don't really understand what that means. Can someone help me pick out bulbs? Thanks.

Henry Bowman

Reefing since '87
Overdriving refers to wiring your T5 lamps to where a 48" bulb runs at 75-80 wats instead of the traditional 58 watts. As for bulb choices, look though the T5 Q&A thread.

swhaley40

You won't need to overdrive so don't worry. For 8 bulbs I recommend 3 ATI aquablues, 1 Fiji purple, and 4 blue plus. You might also consider 2 blue plus and two aquascience 22K's and 2 blue plus for the blue bulbs.

mordibv

Bulbs choices are varied as are what pleases the eye of the beholder. U made a good choice on the Power module . It is imho the best t5 fixture on the market . Hands down ..
If it were me and mind you I like it blue . I would use
4 ATI blue plus
2 Fiji Purple
2 Aqua blue or 1 Aqua Blue and 1 GE 6700

If UV bulbs are available locally and reasonable . Try '
4 454's
1 Actinic White
1 Aquasun
2 Fiji Purple .. I know I advised UV if local but I just love this bulb . I's a must have .
U can also ask Grimm in the T-5 thread but make sure u tell him if you like it bright or blue .