Need help with diatoms

STEELERFAN747

So let me start off by saying thank you in advance for any and all help provided.

I have an Innovative Marine 10g AIO that has been up and running for about 11 months now. In the beginning I had the normal cycle diatoms that went away after about a month.
I then had a pair of clowns for about 2 months and added a 3rd fish that was gifted to me by a friend. Unfortunately that fish went on a hunger strike and ended up dying over a long weekend when the tank was not being supervised which caused a complete contamination and subsequent loss of all fish.

Shortly after I started to get large amounts diatoms again which I attributed to a possible mini cycle since I had replaced out 3 gallons trying to save the fish that had been contaminated and then an additional gallon a week for the next 2 weeks.

My problem is that after months I still have large amounts of persistent diatoms all over my sand, rock and corals. Even in the timeframe that I did not have fish or corals (so no feeding) was I still having them.

I have tried removing the rocks and scrubbing them. Turning off the lights for 4 days at a time. Regular gallon water changes every 2-3 weeks with no success.

I have an AI prime running the tank and run them 8 hours a day at a light intensity. I have checked my water on multiple occasions and have 0 nitrates, 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, phosphates are good, alkalinity and calcium are on par. I do light feeding once every 1-2 days but still find myself in the struggle.

I currently have 5 snails and 4 hermits. Should I increase the crew?

Again, any help is greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stop the feeding for a while. What animals are in the system now? Are there any fish yet?

LFS says I should continue to do water changes but more often to remove whatever is causing it but I'm not sure if that is the answer as believe too many water changes could also cause diatoms (correct?).
I am currently using chemipure blue in the filtration.

I am a firm believer that often times maintaining "too clean" of water (over filtration,etc...) causes these problems and that allowing your nutrient levels to creep up to detectable ranges is a good idea..

I agree with Mcgyvr, I've had issues when maintaining water too clean. What worked for me when I had what I believe to be dino's (brown stringy algae, they thrive in "perfect" water conditions):

- Slowly raise PH over a few days to 8.0 - 8.4 range (mine was like 7.7-8.1)
- STOP doing water changes for a week or two until nitrates are at detectable levels
- Once PH is high enough and nitrates are detectable, black out the tank for 72 hrs minimum
- Do a water change - 10% or 20% depending on how high nitrates are

I agree with Mcgyvr, I've had issues when maintaining water too clean. What worked for me when I had what I believe to be dino's (brown stringy algae, they thrive in "perfect" water conditions):

- Slowly raise PH over a few days to 8.0 - 8.4 range (mine was like 7.7-8.1)
- STOP doing water changes for a week or two until nitrates are at detectable levels
- Once PH is high enough and nitrates are detectable, black out the tank for 72 hrs minimum
- Do a water change - 10% or 20% depending on how high nitrates are

Thank you, I will try that

Back