Need help with Male blonde nano tang.

Lissa1987

Ok, so ill start out with i know I have done A LOT wrong, but whats done is done so Im trying to do the best with current circumstances. Feel free to comment on how bad things were done, and how horrible I am- as long as you also have something to add about what I can do now- not just what I should have done. Three weeks ago had a LFS set up a 90 gallon FOWLR predator system (Oversized skimmer/ pump and such.) This was our first tank so I wanted him to know exactly what we were planning with it so we would start with correct equipment. It sat for a week then we added a Niger Trigger and I started dosing daily bacteria. He came in a settled right in and started eating a few hours later, the first time I tried to feed) The following day, we went to a different LFS to get a Dog faced puffer to add as the second fish. We were planning on then waiting a few weeks/months to add anything else. While at the other LFS, they convinced us (knowing the set up and length of time it had been set up) to also get a blonde naso tang while we were there as three fish wouldn't be a problem this soon. I didn't not check the fish very closely in the store i was just excited to get my puffer. On the way home I noticed spots on both the new fish. The store also sold us copper power " as its good to have on hand". Anyway, added the new fish in and both were eating within a few hours. After the 2nd day, the puffer started pouting a bit and refused to eat for about the first week. Now he is acting normally (for a Dog face) The Blonde naso never seemed to get stressed- got along with everyone swam around etc. until about a week ago. I'm not sure when he stopped eating, but it was somewhere between the 3rd and 7th day and he started hiding more. He would occasionally take a small bite of something, but not much. He refuses any types of nori (green/ green with seaweed/brown/red). He will occasional take a bite of mysis, blood worms, etc. Around the time he stopped eating the ammonia was starting to rise (why he stopped eating? or was it rising from the overfeeding i was doing to entice him to eat?) Around the same time as all that, I dosed the tank with copper power as the ich seemed obvious and the fish weren't doing as well (the trigger had acquired a couple white spots by this time.) (about 2 weeks total) Tuesday of this past week the aquarium maintenance company came and tested the water- the Ammonia was "very high" according to them although my strips never went above about 1 and the tank monitor never went above Alert) He re-dosed the Copper power and scheduled to sent out someone to do a 50 % water change on Thursday. When i asked him about the Tang, he said it was likely the ammonia and or Ich and it likely had internal parasites as well since it was a naso tang, but he wasn't sure if he could use prazi pro with copper power. He said if it lasted the next couple days until the water change he may make it. When they came back on Thursday, they did a 50% water change, and put something in the filter to remove the rest of the copper (I do not understand why as they still have some ich spots and there definitely its still ice in the tank after only a week of treatment but they said it was because the fish were looking better (except the tang who they say its just the ammonia) He has gotten so thin, i am honestly shocked he is still alive. For the first time last night he ate 3 whole bloodworms, which has given me a little renewed hope. Starting yesterday he has also been out and about a lot more and is even picking at the rocks. I have added pictures of what they all looked like initially and now. I have been researching continuously about different possible causes/solutions but i have heard so many different things from the local experts, I don't know where to begin.

Attachments

• pufftang.jpg
    pufftang.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9481.jpg
    IMG_9481.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 2
  • puff.jpg
    puff.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 3
  • all three.jpg
    all three.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1
  • tang start.jpg
    tang start.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2
Tang current

Tang current

These are current pictures of him

Attachments

• skinny1.jpg
    skinny1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 2
  • skinny2.jpg
    skinny2.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 1
  • skinny3.jpg
    skinny3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 1
  • skinny4.jpg
    skinny4.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1
  • tangfin.jpg
    tangfin.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 3
More pics

More pics

Trigger's fin looks rough too.

Attachments

• tang2.jpg
    tang2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 2
  • tang1.jpg
    tang1.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8584 copy.jpg
    IMG_8584 copy.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1
Get some Prime to detoxify the ammonia. Buy some salt mix and learn how to do water changes yourself. You are going to need to change out a lot of water if you want to save those fish and you can't rely on the LFS for that. Don't worry about the Ich until you can keep the ammonia at a reasonable level. The ammonia will cause suffering and death much faster than Ich. Read the stickies on cycling a new tank, and PLEASE don't buy any more fish.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

Plenty of good stickies like was mentioned about ich those I recommend reading. Ammonia kills that should definitely be the #1 priority. Prime as mentioned as well and bio spira to help jumpstart that nitrifying bacteria. I also have a 90 gal tank standard dimensions are 4’ x 18”...that Naso Tang will get 18” long. Start planning to rehome it now so when the time comes that hes outgrown the tank he has somewhere to go. Best of luck to you

We already have it set up to rehome all of them and switch out for smaller ones when they outgrow our tank with the local fish store we got the whole set-up from. I know all of them will eventually outgrown the set-up so we purchased them with plans already in place.

Prime and copper don't mix well. The mixture creates something toxic.

None of those fish will work in a 90 gallon. You will be a lot happier and more successful if you purchase fish that can live in your tank long-term.

Get some Prime to detoxify the ammonia. Buy some salt mix and learn how to do water changes yourself. You are going to need to change out a lot of water if you want to save those fish and you can't rely on the LFS for that. Don't worry about the Ich until you can keep the ammonia at a reasonable level. The ammonia will cause suffering and death much faster than Ich. Read the stickies on cycling a new tank, and PLEASE don't buy any more fish.

Sent from my RS988 using Tapatalk

According to my research so far, Prime is not safe to use when there is copper in the system. Although the levels were reduced with the water change, it is still present. Is this right?

Should I still add it?

As stated by nereefpat you do NOT want to use Prime when you have copper based medications in the tank..
That is a big no-no... Please don't do anymore.. your limit has been reached :p

The prime will react with the cupric ion Cu2+ and expose the toxic metal/element Cu..

Back