Need Nitrate lowering Macroalgae

I need macroalgae to add t a Miracle Mud refugium (lit 24/7) to mainly lower nitrates (nutrient export). The more I read about caulerpa or other species the more confused I get. What species should I get and where from.
Main tank is 180g with live rock, fish corals etc.

Thanks for the info. Have not been to a frag swap but this is 20 miles away from where I live! I'll give it a try.
Thanks

No problem. Its looking like I'll be there, with some caulerpa and maybe some chaetomorpha among other things.

S !

Python73

I did attend the Ohio frag swap and bought grape Caulerpa and what I believe is chaetomorpha from someone. Was that you?

The grape Caulerpa is growing like crazy while the chaetomorpha seems to be unchanged. It seems chaetomorpha is favored over caulerpa but I can't find good pictures of it on the internet to compare with what I have.

Well, I was there... and I gave away both caulerpa and chaetomorpha (except for this one guilty chick who made me take her bus fare in payment :) ). So it could have been me.

Chaetomorpha doesn't grow as fast as caulerpa for me. Not sure exactly what they'd do side by side under some really good light though.

The reason people like the chaeto is that it is non-toxic macroalgae. Caulerpa is some noxious stuff. Take a piece out of your tank and break the main stem. See that stuff creeping out? That is toxic ooze to corals. I have to say I've kept it in a coral tank with no problems, and fed it to my tangs, and they are still doing fine. But now that I hear from people I trust that it is bad, I'm avoiding it.

Still, you can't beat caulerpa for a pod tank. I'm lucky enough to have a stand-alone in the garage for that, so if the caulerpa gets nasty it doesn't do any harm. I keep chaeto in my sump.

S !

Back