Need Some Advice

Chicago Kopka

Hey everyone. So I'll be moving to Tampa at the end of the month with my wife and 2 little girls. We will be moving into a town home in Westchase. We plan on staying there for 1 maybe 2 years before buying a house. I was hoping to get some advice on my situation-

I definitely want to start up a tank when I get there, but I'm torn between doing an AIO or something with sump. My thoughts are that since we are renting I don't want to do anything too big, and a sump always runs the risk of flooding. So AIO sounds nice, but then again a sump makes equipment much easier.

So, do you think it's smarter to do an AIO (I've been eyeing the JBJ rimless 45), or should I look for a used tank/sump in the 45-60 gallon range? I also don't have any experience with a sump/plumbing so I'm somewhat hesitant to dive into that with everything else I got going on.

AIO?? Sump??

Done right you really shouldnt worry about a sump overflowing. I live on the top floor of an apartment and have had two tanks with sumps and no issue. That said, I now have an aio tank, simply because I wanted to downsize. Its a tough call. I will say this, my next will more than likely have a sump. Trying to fit a skimmer, return pump, ato, heaters, mechanical filtration into a 20" x 5 spot is a bit tricky. Run a sump, just make sure you leave plenty of room for back siphon and don't rely on siphon breaks and check valves and you should be fine.

I like the 40 breeder & a 20 gal sump...or a rimless DeepBlue ( only because I have had them before ). Not sure what you plan on keeping, so lights would be a personal choice.
Maybe a Maxspect Razor? Not sure what the budget is but those are nice.

Not a fan of the AIO. ...happy hunting :wave:

A 40B w/20L sump is definitely a really nice size. I wouldn't worry about not having any experience plumbing, just don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need to. There is also a really awesome fish store really close to westchase called Fish and other Ichthy stuff (FAOIS). The owner John is seriously one of the, if not the most knowledgeable people I've met in this hobby so don't hesitate to go up there and ask him questions.

A 40B w/20L sump is definitely a really nice size. I wouldn't worry about not having any experience plumbing, just don't hesitate to ask as many questions as you need to. There is also a really awesome fish store really close to westchase called Fish and other Ichthy stuff (FAOIS). The owner John is seriously one of the, if not the most knowledgeable people I've met in this hobby so don't hesitate to go up there and ask him questions.

Yes definitely excited about FAOIS. Was looking at their Facebook recently and really impressed. Not just with the livestock but with their philosophy as well.

AIO seems like a better option to me for a tank you know will not be long term but once you get your house the bigger the better. I wouldnt put too much effort into the apartment tank but use it to prep the biological foundation for the house tank.

AIO seems like a better option to me for a tank you know will not be long term but once you get your house the bigger the better. I wouldnt put too much effort into the apartment tank but use it to prep the biological foundation for the house tank.

+1 on this thought.
I recently moved to Tampa as well. We had almost 500 gallons in 3 systems that we broke down and moved over a couple of trips (950 miles). We set up 3 temporary systems and used those to simply house the fish (we only moved the fish) while we finished the move and got settled in. We have now begun to replace the temp setups with more permanent solutions, but have utilized the temp tanks to provide the foundation for our larger, permanent setups just as nitr8 suggested. It really helps jump start a larger system if you already have 50-75% of the water/rock in an existing tank. Just don't try moving a sand bed if you use one. Good suggestion nitr8.

Hey you will be moving into my area (nice area love it here). I think either of your options would be fine. I had a 40g breeder with 20g sump before I moved and I loved it and now I have a 29g AIO and I'm just as happy with it. There are both pretty easy but the AIO will be cheaper and less maintenance in my experience that is. Let me know when your in the area and if you need any help.

Hey you will be moving into my area (nice area love it here). I think either of your options would be fine. I had a 40g breeder with 20g sump before I moved and I loved it and now I have a 29g AIO and I'm just as happy with it. There are both pretty easy but the AIO will be cheaper and less maintenance in my experience that is. Let me know when your in the area and if you need any help.

Will do. Thanks!

I like what Nitr8 said. Having an apartment tank always hard for me since I'd be moving in a year or 2.

Back