Need suggestions cleaning out 55g drum

sandman12

I was finally able to get a "food grade" 55 g drum for my RO holding tank. It was previously used to store fruit juice concentrate and has a STRONG odor of fruit juice as you would imagine. I have ran 200 gallons of freshwater through it with the first 50g gallons having 3g of vinegar in it. It still wreaks and I am concerned about my ability to use it.

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning it well enough to use?

Thanks
James

leave the bungs out and set it in the sun for a few days the rinse it out in vinegar water bath again or bleach ether way

Bungs are out and I cut a 6 x 12" rectangle out of the top. I will try the vinegar again I guess. I thought bleach was just a whitener?

I did bleach overnight, let it dry, rush vinegar, let it dry. I was just cleaning it some mildew, but it worked very well.

I cleaned mine with vinegar and the small was still there. Used it like that without issues and the smell went away eventually. I wouldn't worry too much

I had one with olives, hot water and baking soda got the smell and waxy residue out almost immediately.

Ganjero - yours had fruit punch concentrate as well? Thanks everyone!
I had 4 and got them from the Hershey Chocolate factory, they all had flavoring syrup and the smells was very strong. I used to lived in PA, been here only 6 months.

Ok I made all the suggestions for cleaning this thing out and it still smells strong of the fruit juice concentrate. I don't think I am going to get the smell out. If when I fill it with RO water the TDS comes out to 0 should I assume the water is ok to use?

Thanks
James

Just ran 4lbs of baking soda and 50g of hot water through it, no luck. I may have been better off buying a brand new one considering what I've spent trying to clean it out!

Already tried a gallon of outdoor bleach. No Bueno. At this point I think I am just going to use it. But how do I know if the ro water coming out is OK to use?

Sandman- did you ever get the juice smell out of the drum? I just picked up two barrels that had prune juice concentrate in them to build a mixing station with. I was wondering if you ended up using your barrel or notnot.

Thanks

My barrel still has a faint syrup smell and I've been using it for over a year now without issues. I'm getting 0 TDS still.

Back