Needing a tank drilled.

gws76

Premium Member
Does anyone know where I can get a glass tank drilled in Oklahoma City? Picking up my new 120 tommorow. Would have bought one drilled already, but this was a good deal.

I know we have several members who are experienced with drilling tanks. I bet someone would be willing to help you out.

I'm sure somebody will chime in soon.

I think....tank drilling is one of the elements in the upcoming seminar scheduled for the february meeting.

Paul.

I have been known to be the guy that is called "Have dremel, will travel."

lol

I have drilled a few tanks for club members, so dependent upon Feb. meeting, I might be able to help you out.

Thanks King of the Echo People. When I get ready to have the tank drilled, I'm sure I'll be looking you up!
Like the ten gallon, everyone here at work thought your tank had to be a 200 gal. or bigger. lol

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11677600#post11677600 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gws76
Thanks King of the Echo People. When I get ready to have the tank drilled, I'm sure I'll be looking you up!
Like the ten gallon, everyone here at work thought your tank had to be a 200 gal. or bigger. lol

No problem!

Yeah, this little 10 gal is just something for me to stare at at work when I am pondering a problem.

Also, it distracts people while I am making them their map...lol

Besides, I think my company might frown upon a 200 gal here. Don't know why, but they just might be sticklers about it....

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11683059#post11683059 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by herpchat
So what you are telling me is if you show up with a tank you will drill it at the meeting?

lol, that is possible.

In truth, I like to be in a place where I can get a small trickle of water going across where I am drilling.

I am not sure if we can get that at the meeting, but if somebody needs a tank drilled, I will bring my dremel.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11691672#post11691672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by herpchat
So you just use a dremmel to drill a tank?

Yep.

I use a diamond ball tip to first punch through the glass, and then a different diamond bit to cut the circle.

I prefer for the bulkhead to be present, so that I can make sure that the fit is right.

It is not needed though.

Gerald,

No we will not drill it at the meeting. The room we have at UCO is not set up for water to be flowing over the cut.

We will though, show you how to do it and from there you are all set to drill yours at home.

Its not difficult at all, though the first time you do it is very daunting.

I have drilled several with a dremel and it takes only 5-10 mins.

Paul.

Can you show me pics of the drill bits you use?

I have a bunch of 2.5s I need drilled out and some 20 gals

Thanks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11712429#post11712429 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by herpchat
Can you show me pics of the drill bits you use?

I have a bunch of 2.5s I need drilled out and some 20 gals

Thanks.

This is the one I use to punch through the glass.

dremel7105a.gif

Then I use this one to cut around, much like in a sawing motion.

dremel7144a.gif

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11714125#post11714125 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cmc0814
Actually, I use the second one for both processes! Maybe I should try the first one...

The first time that I drilled a tank, I used the second one. It just burnt out way too quick.

I found using the ball to punch through was easier and made the other bit last longer.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11715722#post11715722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by herpchat
Does this work with tempered glass?

I would not advise it.

Tempered is fickle, and I wouldn't cut, drill, etc.

I had a piece of 2' square glass that I was trying to cut for a bottom of a tank. I was told that it was not tempered, oh they were wrong.

Pretty quickly, I had a great amount of little glass fragments.

Back