Neptune DOS Modification

WireTech

I really like the DOS pumps but wasn't thrilled with the tubing connections. I found that the threaded connection was 1/8" NPT therefore it was just a simple part exchange. The conical grey part of the fitting on the pump can be removed with a razor. I tried both ways and saw no difference in the push fittings ability to seal. (note: tubing does push in further if removed). Tubing removed from pump for photo. Modification can be done without dis-assembly.

Attachments

• IMG_3401.jpg
    IMG_3401.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3404.jpg
    IMG_3404.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3405.jpg
    IMG_3405.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3409.jpg
    IMG_3409.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 11
I may have to give this a shot. I was planning to do a john guest union just a few inches off the DOS. This is even cleaner. Thanks for sharing!

so what are you using for tubing with this mod? RO tubing?

He's using the stock tubing. This is actually a pretty interesting mod. I use 1/4" RODI type tubing & while I have no issues with the existing fittings, I much prefer the John Guest style push lock fittings & have everything I need for this mod. I might just have to do this myself.

Scott, I set up an auto feeder with my DOS using your wine cooler design and the Neptune stock tubing. I'm worried that if I do this mod and use the RO tubing (which is necessary for an airtight fit with the JG fitting, right?), the smaller i.d. of the RO will more easily clog. Am I right?

As an aside, my wine cooler fried from excess condensate getting into the motor when I used it on a four day trip. Has this happened to you?

Scott, I set up an auto feeder with my DOS using your wine cooler design and the Neptune stock tubing. I'm worried that if I do this mod and use the RO tubing (which is necessary for an airtight fit with the JG fitting, right?), the smaller i.d. of the RO will more easily clog. Am I right?

As an aside, my wine cooler fried from excess condensate getting into the motor when I used it on a four day trip. Has this happened to you?

That's an intresting point. The barbed fitting is indeed a smaller diameter as far as I am aware. I will have to take a look. I have a set adapters with the 1/8" barbed fittings to JG fittings and a spare set of Dos heads with tubing. I will compare the sizes but I do think you are right and it could pose an issues with mysis clogging the fittings.
I haven't had a condensation issue with mine and mine has been running 24/7 for several months now. What cooler are you using and have you figured out where the condensation was originating from? If it's coming from the area where the bottle sits, try sealing any seams with silicone or some sort of spray in plastic coating to seal it in.

After looking again at the pictures above, he's using the Neptune fittings and just threading the JG adapters over them. As such, there would be no issues with clogging. I need to go back and check to see if I have the right JG's because if I do, this mod is a simple and great idea. If I don't have them, I will go by Do It Center and see if they have the correct Watts 1/4" Push Lock fittings that will thread onto the Neptune Dos ones. One suggestion for anybody that does this mod. Use teflon paste on the threads and not teflon tape. That way you get a good seal.

One suggestion for anybody that does this mod. Use teflon paste on the threads and not teflon tape. That way you get a good seal.

I found that sealant was not necessary. I put the fittings on hand tight and have no leakage. There's not much pressure developed.

I found that sealant was not necessary. I put the fittings on hand tight and have no leakage. There's not much pressure developed.

Good to know. I'd probably err on the side of caution just to be safe but it's good to know you probably don't need it. Either way, it's a great idea for those of us using 1/4" RODI style tubing and a very simple mod.

I did the modification yesterdays. My DOS is used for AWC and I had leak on the side drawing water from the storage reservoir and had to use Teflon tape in order to get it to pump the water up. I am also getting periodic small air bubbles on the outlet side of both pumps but I am using the DOS supplied tubing on the discharge side and RO tubing on the inlet side.

I did the modification yesterdays. My DOS is used for AWC and I had leak on the side drawing water from the storage reservoir and had to use Teflon tape in order to get it to pump the water up. I am also getting periodic small air bubbles on the outlet side of both pumps but I am using the DOS supplied tubing on the discharge side and RO tubing on the inlet side.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. To date I have had no leaks and I did not use any sealant. My top DOS in the picture is also used for AWC. The point of this modification was to do away with the DOS supplied tubing and ease of tubing connection. The push connect fittings are made for RO style tubing. I have however used them on silicone air line with no leaks. Did you use the same type fittings that I pictured? I cannot speak for any other style if used. Is the fitting hand tight? Mine are nearly touching the orange housing. If you are getting leaks in or out and tubing is fully inserted I would suggest using a razor blade to remove the conical portion of the DOS fittings. This allows greater tubing insertion. See the right end of tubing in original pictures. Hope this helps.

Did you have to recalibrate your DOS after changing the tubing?

It is always a good idea to recalibrate after tubing changes. Friction loss due to tubing material differences and lengths will impact flow rates if even slightly. As such, recalibrating is a good idea to insure your fluid transfer amounts are as accurate as possible.

Back