Net Module Buyers Remorse

Cod Fish

I have been setting up my digital aquatics net module. I can't believe how overly complicated this process has been and I need to vent and also see if anyone else has had this experience. This is what you have to do to set up connection away from your home(which is why everyone buys this).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to attempt to make a guide for port forwarding and DDNS to include several of the more popular routers to help people either get it working or figure out what equipment to buy. I will split everything up into section by brand. I am going to use the newer models of each brand but for the most part they are all the same as far as programming. This guide is only for port forwarding and DDNS. I will not go into the DD-WRT in this thread since it is a more advanced firmware mod and unless you are an advanced user you should not be using it to begin with.

Some ISPs block port 80. You may want to use port 8181 or something else. When accessing your NET from outside your house you would use the domain name you create below with new new port number. For example http://newname.dyndns.or:8181/. If accessing from inside your house use http://192.168.1.25:8181 (use the IP you or your router asigned).

I will start with the domain name.

Static IP Service:
1. Go to http://www.no-ip.com and sign up for a free account
2. Once you register and activate your account via the email they send you can create you new host name
3. From the home page, while logged in, click on the "Your No-IP" link at the top right of the screen
4. Click on the tab that says Hosts/Redirects
5. Click the button that says "Add Host"
6. Type the first part of the host name and then choose the rest from the drop down under the "No-IP Free Domains list
7. You can set the port 80 redirect if you want. It will just send you to your IP/port and show those in the address bar and not show your URL but I don't think it matters.
8. Do not worry about the IP since the updater will take care of that
9. On the left hand side click the link that says "Download Client"
10. Choose your OS, download it then install it
11. Open the client from the start menu and enter your email and password then choose the host name you want forwarded
12. To make sure the client runs each time your system reboots you should copy the shortcut from the "No-IP DUC" folder and paste it in your "startup" folder in the start menu
13. Now go through the steps for your specific router brand.

D-Link DIR-655 (My Router)

Port Forwarding (Virtual Server):
1. On the D-links the first place you need to go is to "Advanced" then "Virtual Server" (the first thing in the Advanced tab).
2. Put in a name like "RKM-NET" followed by the IP address of the NET. It may be in the list of computer names if it got an IP from the router itself.
3. Put the port numbers in to the right of that. The public and private ports are the same.
4. For Protocol just choose "Both".
5. Put a check on the left to enable this rule and hit "Save Settings" at the top.

DDNS: Now to set up your router so you only have to remember your domain name.
1. Go to "Tools" on the top menu then on the left select "Dynamic DNS".
2. Once there Select the Server Address you used such as DynDNS.org then the domain name you created followed by your username and password.

That's it for the D-link. Now all you do is go to internet explorer and type your domain name and you should be good to go.

Linksys E2100L

Single Port Forwarding: On most Linksys the first 5 entrys are preset, just use the first one that has a blank name. For each entry, complete the following:
1. Enter the appropriate application name such as "RKM-NET".
2. Enter the external and internal port number used by the application, they will be the same number.
3. Select the protocol(s) used for this application, I would choose "Both".
4. Enter the IP address of the computer that should receive the requests.
5. Select Enabled to enable port forwarding.
6. Click "Save Settings".

DDNS: This is under "Setup"->"DDNS"->"DynDNS".
1. Enter your DynDNS.org username, password and host name.
2. Choose "Dynamic" (this should be the default).
3. Select "Update to instantly update your IP address with the server.
4. Click "Save Settings".

That is all for the Linksys.

Netgear WGR614v9

Port Forwarding:
1. Select Port Forwarding/Port Triggering under Advanced in the main menu.
2. Click Add Custom Service.
3. In the Service Name field, enter a descriptive name like "RKM-NET".
4. In the Service Type field, select the protocol, I recommend choosing both TCP and UDP.
5. In the Starting and Ending Port fields, enter the port number (they will be the same).
6. In the Server IP Address field, enter the IP address of your local computer that will provide this service.
7. Click Apply.
8. The service appears in the list in the Port Forwarding/Port Triggering screen.
(You may or may not have to do this next part. I don't have a Netgear so I am not sure. If it shows in the port forwarding list then you do not.)
9. Select Port Forwarding/Port Triggering under Advanced in the main menu.
10. From the Service Name list, select the service that you will host on your network (the one you created from above).
11. In the corresponding Server IP Address box, enter the last digit of the IP address of your local computer that will provide this service.
12. Click Add. The service appears in the list in the screen.

DDNS:
1. From the main menu of the browser interface, under Advanced, select Dynamic DNS to display the Dynamic DNS screen.
2. Select the Use a Dynamic DNS Service check box.
3. Select the name of your Dynamic DNS service provider.
4. Type the host name (or domain name) that your Dynamic DNS service provider gave you.
5. Type the user name for your Dynamic DNS account. This is the name that you use to log in to your account, not your host name.
6. Type the password (or key) for your Dynamic DNS account.
7. Click Apply to save your configuration.

That's all for the Netgear.

Netopia 2200 Series
This is a more advanced system and typical users will not be using Netopia. I will not go into much detail but I will give the basics.

Port Forwarding (Pinholes):
1. Click on Configure in the upper Menu bar.
2. Click on Advanced.
3. Under the NAT heading in the Network Configuration box, click on the Pinhole selection.
4. Click on the Add button.
5. In the Pinhole Entry box, enter the parameters for your pinhole.
6. Click on Submit to save the changes.
7. Click on the Add More Pinholes link.
8. This takes you back to the Pinholes "menu" screen.

DDNS: Dynamic DNS Settings
These commands are supported beginning with Firmware Version 7.4.2.
Dynamic DNS support allows you to use the free services of http://www.dyndns.org. Dynamic DNS automatically directs any public Internet request for your computer's name to your current dynamically-assigned IP address. This allows you to get to the IP address assigned to your Gateway, even though your actual IP address may change as a result of a PPPoE connection to the Internet.

CONFIG Commands
set dynamic-dns option [ off | dyndns.org ]
set dynamic-dns ddns-host-name myhostname.dyndns.org
set dynamic-dns ddns-user-name myusername
set dynamic-dns ddns-user-password myuserpassword

Enables or disables dynamic DNS services. The default is off. If you specify dyndns.org, you must supply your hostname, username for the service, and password. Because different dynamic DNS vendors use different proprietary protocols, currently only http://www.dyndns.org is supported.

2-Wire:

Port Forwarding:
1. Open up a web browser (Intnenet Explorer or Firefix) on a computer that is connected to your 2-Wire router.
2. Open your 2-Wire router's control panel in the web browser by going to this location http://gateway.2wire.net. If that doesnt work try http://192.168.0.254
3. After you are logged into your 2Wire modem, click the Firewall tab.
4. Click the Firewall Settings link under the tab to open the Edit Firewall Settings page.
5. Click on the Add a new user-defined application link to open the Edit Application page.
6. In the Application Name field, enter a name for the application profile. You can enter any name you like,
although it's recommended that you use the name of the application (for example, NET Module).
7. In the Definition panel, create a definition for your application. A definition consists of a series of protocol-specific ports that are to be allowed through the firewall.
8. In the Protocol field, select the TCP or UDP radio button. Choose TCP since all http sites are TCP.
9. In the Port (or Range) field, enter the port that your NET uses. Put the same value in the From and To fields.
10. In the Protocol Timeout (seconds) field, you may optionally enter a value for the amount of time that can pass before the application "œtimes out." I recommend that you leave the field blank, in which case the system uses the default values (86,400 seconds for the TCP protocol; 600 seconds for the UDP protocol).
11. In the Map to Host Port field, leave that field blank so that it will default to the port you defined above.
12. In the Application Type drop-down menu, select None (Default).
13. Click ADD DEFINTION to add the values to the profile definition list.
14. Click DONE.
15. Click on the Firewall tab again, then click on Firewal Settings.
16. Select your NET from the dropdown where it says "Select a Computer".
17. Click the Allow individual application(s) radio button.
18. In the Applications panel, select the application that you created for your NET (E.G. "NET Module").
19. Click the ADD > button. The application you selected now appears in the Hosted Applications pane.
20. Click DONE.

I do not believe the newer 2-Wire supports DDNS so you will need to install the DDNS updater service to keep your IP updated at dyndns.com.

Helpfull links:

Find your public (outside) IP address:
http://www.ipchicken.com

DynDns updater service for the PC:
http://www.dyndns.com/support/clients/

Here are two helpfull link provided by delamarrr. Thanks

Here is a link to test your port forwarding:

Wait so you understand all these things on these different routers yet are frustrated with setting up the net module?

Or are you copy and pasting this from some manuals somewhere...

The explanation is above, this is a cut and paste of their instructions of how to get the net module to talk.(you have to find this your self on their forum!) This is also just a small portion of what you have to do with a reefkeeper. I have done three firmware updates on all modules and had to send their passthrough devise back to them to be reprogrammed to accept the new firmware. I have used reefkeepers for years now and this is the most frustrating thing i have ever encountered. I will never buy another digital aquatics product ever again period. False advertising. Check out there support forum and read how many customers are stumped and have no idea what they have gotten into. Stupidest waste of money ever!

It is frustrating for sure. I think most of that is out of their controll though due to the many types of routers out there and networks being so different.

However I share some of your frustration with DA. I don't think I'll be using their products again due to other issues with reliability.

What is defiantly in there control is giving a hint as to the level of customer involvement for this product. How about a manual? How about not having to find the info you need yourself. Worst company ever

If you would let me remote desktop into your pc. I could do it for you.

To be fair its not really their responsibility to support port forwarding just like its not your ISP responsibility to support home network installs.

They simply cannot make it plug and play. If they could your network would already be compromised.

Pm me if you want me to do it for you but know I will have 100% access to your computer and then some.

Back