new 10 gallon

ladyfsu

I'm starting a 10 gallon for my dad. I'm using 50% water from my well established 55, using a good bit of sand from it as well as a bag of live sand from the lfs, and using live rock that I've had for a long time. Do you think it will still need to cycle and for how long? He's out of town for 3 more weeks and I'm hoping to have it with fish when he gets back but I don't want to rush anything. The filter is just one of the hang on "whisper" ones.

Here's the link. Yes, for you pro-types out there it's pretty cheesy. It's just going to sit at his office desk (which is in his house). If this is maintained he will like it lots though (yep...I'm the one doing that part).

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=177

thx...

I'm HOPING to have a few blue leg hermits and some snails, 2 sexy shrimp, 2-3 lil porcelain crabs, a percula and a lil yellow goby (forgot the name) and then for corals, some zoo's and mushrooms and if room permits a tiny pom-pom xenia because he loves them. Maybe a macro of some kind.

its probably the yellow watchman goby, if i can make a suggestion, get the hi-fin red banded shrimp goby instead, I had both and traded in the yellow one becuse he was too shy.

oh those ARE cool looking clowns...never had any but they look nice.

I just need fish that are hard to kill, lol. That sounds sad, but my dad doesn't know much about this stuff. I'll be over at his house most everyday because they watch my daughter. I just need something looks pretty, semi-social and hardy (and doesn't get bigger than 2 inches). I can always weed out corals...the fish are my worry.

I wouldn't go for black percs in a 10 gallon. You said you wanted something under 2 inches, well all clowns can exceed 3 inches in length. Not to mention, once you get rock and corals in there, 2 clowns will be cramped at even half their total length.

Maybe shoot for some type of sand goby and smaller type of goby.

There are many types of sand sifting, burrowing, and smaller gobies out there. I can link you to a page if you want.

Also, let the tank cycle for maybe a few days to a week. Test the water every 2 days to see what you are getting.

i recomend doing a little research on aquatraders... i dont think ive ever seen anyone get a product from them that lasted very long... very poor quality IMO... just be careful

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7534959#post7534959 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rockindacheeks
i recomend doing a little research on aquatraders... i dont think ive ever seen anyone get a product from them that lasted very long... very poor quality IMO... just be careful

Yeah I would try some where else

I don't think you'll be happy with that setup long term :( .

It's a "plastic" aquarium and will scratch if you look at it funny.

The lighting is inadequate for any coral.

The HOB filter doesn't indicate gph, I doubt it's over a 100 gph, woefully inadequate for any marine tank.

If you want an inexpensive setup get a glass 10 Gallon ($10), an Aquaclear 70 at300 gph ($30) , a second backup pump at about 100 gph($12), and two Coralife self ballasted 20watt 50/50 bulbs ($12 each)You can build a canopy for $20. Granted you're pushing $100 but it's a system that will work.

BTW, My black oscellaris have been in a ten gallon tank for three years and are very healthy.

I was going to recommend the exact same set-up as above, with one addition. With some very small modifications, you can throw some LR rubble and cheato into that AC70, put a clip on light on top and have a nice little fuge. If you do a search, you can find out more about AC fuges/

Back