New 120g feedback

BigCity

Just wanted to introduce myself and get some open discussion and feedback on setting up my new 120gallon tank. It is a 120g acrylic 4'x2'x2' tank with ~50 gallon sump that will have a refugium and a reef devil skimmer and a ehiem return pump. I plan on using aragonite sand 4" deep and getting some live sand to seed it. I have about 120# of base rock and plan on buying some live rock to seed this as well. Still working on producing the RO/DI water and need to get all the sand in before I can start adding the water to get setup for the cycle.

I'm not a complete noob but this will be my largest tank and first wtih a sump, currently running a nano setup with good success. So any words of wisdom, tips, things to watch for, stay away from? Any and all comments welcome.

What are your plans for this tank? Have you thought about what kind of lighting you want to use?

[welcome]

I ran a Reef Devil on an sps dominated mixed reef 75 gallon and while I was completely happy with it I can assure you that it will not be able to keep up in a 120 gallon REEF. In a fish only it would be OK for that size tank.

It came with a 4 tube T5 lighting setup that I figure will be "OK" to start and then maybe supplement it with a DIY LED setup like I did on my nano tank. It will be a mixed reef with some reef safe fish. Very basic easy stuff until I gain confidence, mostly softs, with few SPS.

What would you recommend for a skimmer if the reef devil isn't going to up to the task after I get things fully stocked?

Back