New 120g Frag Tank

WillM

So, about three weeks ago a buddy gifted me his 75g set up. I still had my 75, but it needed work to get it looking right. His was pristine and had a ton of amazing frags that I had given him plus all he had acquired on his own. My tank had crashed and I thought they were gone permanently. To get them all back and in better condition than before really relit the passion for what this hobby can offer.

Shortly after getting the tank I was over at UA and Justin had some new 4x4x1' tanks. I asked him where he got them and ordered one for myself. It hasn't arrived, but I haven't been slacking. Here are some snaps of equipment that will go into the new system:

Reef Octopus 6000SSS with five gallon bucket for size reference:

bc5c23ddcd38066f2c2f8d365a69e606.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Impressive, watch your alk if you haven't used that salt before.

Thanks Rodger, I used to use this stuff when I was doing a more SPS dominant tank, since I was only using kalkwasser via top off. I just bought a doser, so I definitely appreciate the reminder! I am currently using just regular Red Sea but bought the Reef Salt before I got the doser. I'm trying to get back into SPS again.

PS - That hammerhead cleaner is still going strong ;)

So, about three weeks ago a buddy gifted me his 75g set up. I still had my 75, but it needed work to get it looking right. His was pristine and had a ton of amazing frags that I had given him plus all he had acquired on his own. My tank had crashed and I thought they were gone permanently. To get them all back and in better condition than before really relit the passion for what this hobby can offer.

Shortly after getting the tank I was over at UA and Justin had some new 4x4x1' tanks. I asked him where he got them and ordered one for myself. It hasn't arrived, but I haven't been slacking. Here are some snaps of equipment that will go into the new system:

Reef Octopus 6000SSS with five gallon bucket for size reference:

bc5c23ddcd38066f2c2f8d365a69e606.jpg

I love how they label it online as "space saver". Space saver my ***. Lol

Balls to the wall. Exciting new build!

Definitely. And it cost me a fortune to send a 48" sump back. Still don't have a ship date on the tank, so I have a little more time to work with.
You had to pay to send it back?!?!
That really blows. File a claim with the shipping company.

New goodies in the mail today:

Hamilton 48" 6 x T5 fixture (one more coming):

796b10b7391ee9c75811b4a1efd1afff.jpg
6cf5e8f08812897df1e9f85e8e8847e9.jpg

This is going to be nice!!! T5 is still my choice of light

Definitely :) The tank is only 12" deep so I was unsure whether to roll with 4 x T5 or not. Decided to go big since it's easier to just dial back the photo period if it is too much, but I'd have to order another light if I wanted to add more later. I may still add some blue LEDs to make things pop later.

The fixture came with Hamilton 460nm and 10K bulbs. Does anyone know if these bulbs are any good or not? I had already ordered Geissmann and ATI bulbs to replace the manufacturers, but it'd be nice to have spares.

I just realized that the lights don't have the x16 LEDs that was in the description. I contacted the company. I really hope I don't have to pay for more shipping....

Back