New Achilles Tang...

Status
Not open for further replies.
He finally ate! Woo! :dance:

I threw a conglomerate of prime reef, mysis & squid in the tank. He then he ate the nori that distegrated when I threw it out. He obviously likes to capture food floating in the current ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10460992#post10460992 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bebo77
how big is your tank?

here is mine in my 300
achilles.jpg

What a great looking fish. FME i have found that these tangs are very hard to keep in the home aquarium, one of the hardest if not the hardest best of luck.

What are the measurements of your tank? If you plan on keeping this fish long term I would look into getting a larger tank. I have mine in my 6' 125g and am already looking at an 8' 240g for it. These fish need lots of swimming space to be happy and healthy. A ton of flow helps a lot. I feed mine 3 times a day. He gets PE mysis, Live brine, and a Nori sheet around 12pm and then another Nori sheet around 8pm. All food is soaked in garlic and selcon. It took mine like 4-5 days to eat. Now he eats like a pig. Ive had it for 6 months. Good luck with it.

cleaning-2.jpg

Achilles-2.jpg

Aquaman: fish looks great.

So, the Achilles is officially a pig. I woke up this morning & the nori clip was gone! Either that or my evil clowns ate it :lol2:

so let me see if i got this right...

you bought this fish from your LFS after only 1 day in their tank

bought it on a whim and apparently did no research whatsoever

not seeing if it ate

did not QT it but put it right to your established display

put it in a 70H to boot

how long you been keeping fish? sounds like you made every textbook error that was ever written. looks like you've been on this site for almost a year. did nothing stick?

jeesh, give the guy a break. it is most certainly possible to buy impulsively, do "everything wrong", and still be successful. i should know! lol

best of luck with your tang. these guys have a horrible reputation, but so do a lot of other fish - i truly believe that finding a healthy specimen is the biggest hurdle with any fish. keep us posted!

I guess it's true that you ned to learn from your mistakes but it's sucks when living creatures are involved. I for one also hope that that tang lives a long and healthy life.

:lol: Tang police strike again@!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10474003#post10474003 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by honda2sk
so let me see if i got this right...

you bought this fish from your LFS after only 1 day in their tank

Yes. I was there the day before & asked if he was getting any new shipments. He stated he was from Hawaii that day. I came back the next day & there the Achilles was. You act like this is a bad thing...I would much rather have a fish that didn't spend the last month in a 6x6" acrylic cube plumbed into the same water as the diseased dying blue hippo right next to it ;)

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10474003#post10474003 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by honda2sk
bought it on a whim and apparently did no research whatsoever

Incorrect. I was looking into powder blue's intially, but saw a fellow members fish & decided to get the achilles. My 'research' indicates they are in the same classification of tang species & are similar. So I knew what I was getting into.

not seeing if it ate

Yep. I usually ask to see fish feed before I buy just to be 100% sure. To be honest, when he said it was $50, I said "I'll take it!". Hindsight's always 20-20 isnt it?

did not QT it but put it right to your established display

Uh-huh. It's a healthy fish. I've dealt with numerous fish diseases in the past & know what to look for usually. Sometimes QT'ing a healthy fish in copper or hypo stresses it even more. Believe me, I've done it.

put it in a 70H to boot

Thats right. He's swimming nice & happy right now in a 70 tall. I wish I could supply him with a 4'+ tank right off the bat, but it'll have to make due for now. Sure beats a 6x6" acrylic box....but wait, thats where you want him to stay for a month, right?

how long you been keeping fish? sounds like you made every textbook error that was ever written. looks like you've been on this site for almost a year. did nothing stick?

I've been keeping fish for about 4 years now, how bout you? I love RC & it provides a lot of useful info. Sure, someone can tell you how to be successful, but only you can succed by doing it yourself. I've kept pygmy angels in a 20h succesfully, when the 'minimum' tank size 'recommended' is 30g. If it's something I've learned, is that these 'minimums' are typically set for the average aquarist who just went out to Petco & bought a tank. If you have the knowledge & skill set to compensate for sheer tank size with rock work, flow, diet & whatever else the fish requires, you can be successful. Thanks :)

LOL you really *think* your fish is happy...

would you be happy going from a huge reef in the ocean into a tiny 70H? goodness.

You think any of these fish are happy? Really, do you? :confused:

We all do our best to replicate the reef these fish come from. Our own slice of the ocean. But who can be really successful on that scale?

Last edited:
that's what you just said!!!

He's swimming nice & happy right now in a 70 tall

LOL, I was just asking you that question. I don't want to criticize you, but you're so spontaneous and making up ways to persuade us and yourself that you've made a good decision.

I wish you goodluck, but you're definitely on my list as one of the better reef / fish keepers by any means.

Understandable. But look at post #7. I admit I am undertanked. Who knows if it was a good decision or not. Only time will tell.

At the same time, we're talking about a 3" achilles here. Its not like Im putting a 12" sohal in my tank. Its not the be all, end all oh no how could he do such a thing....

Anyways, forgive my argumentiveness today. I do understand where the good intentions lie. Thanks everyone for postive remarks. Peace_ :)

To each his own. I hope it works out for you. They are gorgeous fish, please post some more pics as I would love to see them. I too would have purchased one at that price for my 120. More pics would be great and congrats on getting him to eat.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10474662#post10474662 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lagger
:lol: Tang police strike again@!

If it's something I've learned, is that these 'minimums' are typically set for the average aquarist who just went out to Petco & bought a tank. If you have the knowledge & skill set to compensate for sheer tank size with rock work, flow, diet & whatever else the fish requires, you can be successful. Thanks :)

based on your actions and reasonings you sound just like the person you are describing who went out and bought a tank at petco on a whim. every point you debated, your response was seriously flawed. i mean c'mon man, you say you were so excited to buy the fish when they told you it was $50 you couldn't even take 5 seconds to ask them to feed him in front of you? thats just one. every single point you made is seriously seriously flawed.

p.s. those min. recommendations are not for novices, they are for every skill level aquarist.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10474760#post10474760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lagger
Who knows if it was a good decision or not.

Just about every here except you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back