New Acrylic aquarium - I'm back after 30 y.

I'm back home from Sweden 3 weeks. Yeeeee

And in Sweden purchased very good drilling saw missing only 60 mm for overflow 2 big holes will buy this days.
20241021_165629.jpg
20241021_164955.jpg
20241021_164959.jpg

This missing 60mm
17295861859396848578177816953903.jpg

Finally tomorrow drilling acrylic slowly 1,5 cm thick no hurry at all.
Just wondering as overflow is by side...can i rotate tank to be in standup
position when drilling that be much easier to drill from top
than by side or its not advisable to move it up and down?
I think no issue?

Looking at those hole/drilling saws, the teeth seem a bit coarse to me for drilling acrylic. As I said, I've never drilled acrylic before but, I was under the impression you should use very fine toothed hole saws.

@BeanAnimal Do you have any experience drilling acrylic?

Here's an old thread about drilling holes in acrylic. According to posters there, those hole saws you have should be fine as long as you use water to keep from melting the acrylic. Other posters are mentioning they used a router to cut their holes in acrylic.

ok thanks. will place around the some clothes and cool with water. 1,5 cm is thick acrylic and will post
result. I have template from overflow that will help a lot to fix exact 2 holes as if i miss will be very hard
after to adjust overflow box. Impossible. Lets do it today.

Be careful with those coarse teeth holesaws. If it catches the acrylic just right then it will crack the acrylic. I have done that before. I always drill with the finer teeth bits made for metal. I know it can be done with the bits you have, though. Just be careful with them.

O.k. this holesaws is for metal its written bi-metal. 1.5 cm is thick. ok going tomorrow for fine teeths to buy.
where i purchased tank in Bergamo in Italy they asked me to drill holes but in this time I didnt had a overflow
and didnt wanted that they drill. Anyway thanks to all suggestion every day is school im now 61 y. young and
as you can see never drilled any. 2005 was came with some holes but will post some photos as soon starting and finished work.
HAve a nice wekeend we have by day 20 C night 8 C. Last week was in middle of Sweden too cold for me :)

After call to Italy he told me that any bimetal holesaw is good just to cool with cold water from fridge
and slow rotation with frequent pull out and clean the shavings. When you came almost to the end to
stop and start from other side to avoid any crack. As my saw have central drill will be good he say to
continue from other side when you reach almost bottom. fixing wood or something behind he never use.
Just no hurry slow.
While I write this neighbour new guy from Russia offered to me complete set.
The saw is 64mm maybe a little big bigger to have space to move left right in case that is not centered well. Rubber and silicone will be all around as well.
I know silicon and acrylic is not romantic lover but if you suggest also something else welcome.
Will be 2 mm by both sides too much?
Or simply going to buy 60mm and sleep well.

The bulkhead on inside have also lot of shaking space. Like 62,5 that i measured.

17298788644442723151773149992848.jpg

See tha gap on overflow is at least 1 mm on both sides...
17298785741895578372932183640253.jpg

Last edited:
What kind of silicone or glue to use to additionaly place around that is good with rubber
and acrylic and plastic? Some special sealing?

I've used bulkheads in slightly larger holes like you are showing. As long as the rubber gasket and the plastic rim of the bulkhead cover the acrylic around the hole, you should be fine.

I'm not sure about using a sealant but, I would *think* aquarium silicone should be fine.

Thanks. I fond that silicone and acrylic dont love each other? :)
Will try to find some different seal glue to add additional seal.
Drilling today afternoon will report how was going.

The overflow is on top of tank few cm bellow and there is no any water pressure I think
good original rubber on both sides from overflow will keep this well.
Its time to start piping before again send me to some other project country...

Back